American Flag Disposal

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2020, 01:14 PM
Default American Flag Disposal

I realize that this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been displaying small American flags in my front yard since the pandemic began. Several of them are now dirty and tattered. I would like to replace them with new ones. Can anyone tell me the proper way to dispose of the old flags? I want to be respectful. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2020, 01:18 PM

Our American Legion accepts retired flags for disposal. Maybe check with the local post.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Most Boy Scout troops will also take them. Our local troop has a flag retirement ceremony a couple times a year.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-19-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopie View Post
I realize that this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been displaying small American flags in my front yard since the pandemic began. Several of them are now dirty and tattered. I would like to replace them with new ones. Can anyone tell me the proper way to dispose of the old flags? I want to be respectful. Thanks!
FLAGS & POLES Address: 211 US-27, Lady Lake, FL 32159
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Mon
Phone: (352) 751-1876
Old 07-19-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
You can drop them off at the Rolling Acres driving range. They have a bucket that the American Legion picks up to dispose the flags properly.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I would think since those flags are too small to fold correctly you could burn them one by one , maybe on a BBQ fire. I have personally burned a few, with respect,hand over heart.

How to Properly Dispose of an American Flag.

"It's important to note that one of the reasons so much care is put into disposing of an American flag is not only because it's considered to be the most sacred symbol of the United States of America, but also because section 8j of the United States Flag Code states: "The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing." After making sure your flag is in good condition and before displaying it proudly, you might like to take a peek at this comprehensive list of flag etiquette."

Read More: How to Properly Dispose of an American Flag | How to Properly Dispose of an American Flag

Steve
Old 07-19-2020, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Thanks for the refresher
Old 07-20-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Bring them to an Elks Lodge. The Elks have a Ceremony every year on Or around Flag Day in which old Flags are Properly Honored, then destroyed.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:42 AM

As an Elk for about 50 years I can tell you they don’t dispose of old flags. They do have a ceremony every Flag Day that teaches the history of the flag which is very informative. Elks take their old flags to the American Legion as they do have a day on which they dispose of old flags.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:11 AM
Default Flag Disposal

Quote:

Bring tattered and worn flags to the American Legion Post. They will dispose of them.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Is this a test? If not the answer is easy to find. Google Flag Etiquette
Old 07-20-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Why would this be a dumb question? It’s a great question.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:20 AM

Exactly... a good question.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:25 AM
Default Flag Disposal

You can bring to the VFW and they will dispose properly
Old 07-20-2020, 07:43 AM

Ace Hardware on Bichera. Just pass the counter they have a large box to put them in. They ar picked up by the American legion.
Closed Thread

Tags
american, flags, dispose, respectful, dirty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.