American Flag Disposal

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2020, 08:04 AM
Default Flag disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopie View Post
I realize that this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been displaying small American flags in my front yard since the pandemic began. Several of them are now dirty and tattered. I would like to replace them with new ones. Can anyone tell me the proper way to dispose of the old flags? I want to be respectful. Thanks!
Hi The proper way to dispose of a flag is to burn it. However, if you do not wish to do that, the American Legion post in Wildwood has a box outside their building on Rt. 44 (near the corner of Main Street, Rt.301) in which they collect flags and they will properly dispose of them for you.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:12 AM

Take them to the American Legion on 466 and Rolling Acers road.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:14 AM

American Legion on rolling acres
Please call first
Old 07-20-2020, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,508 Posts
Default There are no dumb questions.

Quote:
I realize that this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been displaying small American flags in my front yard since the pandemic began. Several of them are now dirty and tattered. I would like to replace them with new ones. Can anyone tell me the proper way to dispose of the old flags? I want to be respectful. Thanks!
I don't believe there are dumb questions. That said, here is a related "dumb" question.
Are you speaking of the small, sometimes plastic, little toy like flags, stapled to a stick and probably made in China, that you get out of the counter displays at the grocery or dollar store? If so, would these items be given the same treatment as an actual, flying from a flag pole in a military cemetery or by a government building?
I am ex-military and have great respect for our flag, but at what point does a representation of the flag (like a picture of one in the news paper) lose its status for special disposal methods. I truly don't know the answer, but can't imagine how a typical VFW post would handle the many thousands of little lawn ornament or lapel pin flags they might receive other than to burn them in a mass "grave". To me, that would be as disrespectful as tossing a flag in the trash IF these are considered "real" flags.
I ask here on the forum so that many people can be informed, and not just me.
Thank you.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:44 AM

It is a great question. I'm sure a lot of people would just throw it in the garbage, especially the little flags with the sticks. Also, some people don't know the proper way to fly a flag either and if it's left out at night a light needs to be on it. I work in a school, and we always say "No question is a foolish question." Not asking is foolish!
Old 07-20-2020, 08:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I don't believe there are dumb questions. That said, here is a related "dumb" question.
Are you speaking of the small, sometimes plastic, little toy like flags, stapled to a stick and probably made in China, that you get out of the counter displays at the grocery or dollar store? If so, would these items be given the same treatment as an actual, flying from a flag pole in a military cemetery or by a government building?
I am ex-military and have great respect for our flag, but at what point does a representation of the flag (like a picture of one in the news paper) lose its status for special disposal methods. I truly don't know the answer, but can't imagine how a typical VFW post would handle the many thousands of little lawn ornament or lapel pin flags they might receive other than to burn them in a mass "grave". To me, that would be as disrespectful as tossing a flag in the trash IF these are considered "real" flags.
I ask here on the forum so that many people can be informed, and not just me.
Thank you.
I've found those small flags along roadways and have always picked them up and burned them.
I did look up your question and found this;
Options for retiring flags made of synthetics limited - News - The Daily News - Jacksonville, NC.

And this I never knew;

"How do you dispose of small American flags?
Cut the flag in half, vertically — do not cut into the blue star field. Place the two halves together and cut in half, horizontally. You will have four pieces of flag, one being the blue star field and the other three red and white stripes. Put the flag in a container and dispose of it properly."Sep 8, 2014

I still think it's more proper to burn them though.

Steve
Old 07-20-2020, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Read RETVETS comment, American Legion will do it for you. Thank you, you’re a great American!
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM
Thumbs up proper flag disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVets View Post
Our American Legion accepts retired flags for disposal. Maybe check with the local post.
I recently retired an old US flag - took it to the American Legion Post where they had a mailbox out front of the building for proper flag disposal - easy !
Old 07-20-2020, 09:54 AM

Take them to the American Legion on Rolling Acres Rd.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,508 Posts
Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
I've found those small flags along roadways and have always picked them up and burned them.
I did look up your question and found this;
Options for retiring flags made of synthetics limited - News - The Daily News - Jacksonville, NC.

And this I never knew;

"How do you dispose of small American flags?
Cut the flag in half, vertically — do not cut into the blue star field. Place the two halves together and cut in half, horizontally. You will have four pieces of flag, one being the blue star field and the other three red and white stripes. Put the flag in a container and dispose of it properly."Sep 8, 2014

I still think it's more proper to burn them though.

Steve
Thank you for this info. Simple, respectful. safe and practical. I, and I am sure others, will follow this practice.

Stay safe. Stay well. Peace!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troopie View Post
i realize that this is probably a dumb question, but here goes. I've been displaying small american flags in my front yard since the pandemic began. Several of them are now dirty and tattered. I would like to replace them with new ones. Can anyone tell me the proper way to dispose of the old flags? I want to be respectful. Thanks!
take them to the vfw, they'll take care of them.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:51 AM

THE question to ask is “is it a genuine US flag”. Disneyworld in Orlando has hundreds of flags, which would raise the question of disposal. To avoid that problem, almost all their flags have some defect in the stripes or the stars, this renders them as not genuine, and so they can be thrown away
Apparently, the only genuine flag, is the one on Main Street, on the square.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:51 AM

The American Legion burns the flags once a year.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:21 AM

Thank you all for respecting our flag. Maybe there is hope.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:20 PM

American Legion should have a box to collect used flags which are then ceremonial destroyed.
Closed Thread

Tags
american, flags, dispose, respectful, dirty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.