American Home shield Horror Story

Old 06-26-2022, 08:52 AM
Default American Home shield Horror Story

We have an American Home Shield warranty to Repair or Replace our 20 year old AC in the Villages. We have paid over $2500 in premiums over the past 4 years. During the first week of April our Air Conditioner died. Now, 11 weeks later, AHS has neither Repaired nor Replaced our AC. We were forced to abandon our home because we cannot live there without AC. AHS has given us two choices, continue to wait for a part on indefinite backorder and then pay an additional $1400 for a Repair. Or, they will buy us out of the repair for $450 (after we repair or replace the AC at our expense).

The moral of the story: if you have a Repair or Replace warranty contract, make sure that contract requires the company to do the Repair or Replace within a reasonable time frame.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

I disagree. The moral is to not buy a home warranty in the first place.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

It appears that most of these home warranty services operate the same way, and the homeowner is out of the loop on any decisions for making repairs, etc., which is the main reason I self-insure, then I am in charge of the entire process.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:21 AM
Gold member

These policies are nothing more than a marketing tool for realtors to sell a house. They often encourage the seller of a home to purchase this to give to the buyer to give them a false sense of security. We had it included on a house we purchased back in the early 90's in NC. The first January we were in there the heat pump died and needed to be repaired. Contacted AHS and they sent somebody local out a couple days later. Same story...they needed a part to fix it so they would have to order it and it would take a couple weeks to get it. Fortunately, it wasn't horribly cold out and we did have a fireplace that was also a heater so we were fine during the day and we all slept in the living room near the fireplace at night until it was fixed. I would never actually purchase one of these policies and I don't really consider it a benefit when it comes with a house I am buying.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Our sons frig died about three weeks ago. Sent a repairman who said the condensor was shot and had to get approval from Samsung to get a new one under warranty. 4 days later approval was given and was shipped a week later.

Repair guy bit backed up and came 3 days after receiving the part. Puts it in and with in 24 hours frig stops working.

Now coming on Monday to diagnose this problem. And for this you pay for a warranty?

Luckily for them they have second one in their garage but rather a pain to go in and out while so hot.

Better to self insure and deal with a local repairman who will give you service and has faster access to parts.

Old 06-26-2022, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crholleyjr@gmail.com View Post
We have an American Home Shield warranty to Repair or Replace our 20 year old AC in the Villages. We have paid over $2500 in premiums over the past 4 years. During the first week of April our Air Conditioner died. Now, 11 weeks later, AHS has neither Repaired nor Replaced our AC. We were forced to abandon our home because we cannot live there without AC. AHS has given us two choices, continue to wait for a part on indefinite backorder and then pay an additional $1400 for a Repair. Or, they will buy us out of the repair for $450 (after we repair or replace the AC at our expense).

The moral of the story: if you have a Repair or Replace warranty contract, make sure that contract requires the company to do the Repair or Replace within a reasonable time frame.
The reality of all insurance. They access the risk. They charge a fee to cover the risk plus overhead, plus a profit. They make money on the fee, the premium and lose money on any payout. As far as replacing a twenty year old AC. The typical life of an AC in Florida is around 14 years. I expect the policy that you signed has some reduction in payout for a replacement unit. Can't find the part? Perhaps, a good excuse to get out of whatever you are entitled to.
Reasonable time frame-what is that? A day a week a month? Were it me and I wanted that, beyond it's normal expected life unit repaired, I would ask what the part is, part number etc and see if you can find it. There are all kinds of strange businesses on the internet. I am stubbornness personified. I needed a no longer made plumbing part. I was told by a plumber the part is no longer made and I had no choice but to replace all of it. I found a guy a business that would make old plumbing parts. The part was not cheap but far less than tearing out the tile etc.

Old 06-26-2022, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
The reality of all insurance. They access the risk. They charge a fee to cover the risk plus overhead, plus a profit. They make money on the fee, the premium and lose money on any payout. As far as replacing a twenty year old AC. The typical life of an AC in Florida is around 14 years. I expect the policy that you signed has some reduction in payout for a replacement unit. Can't find the part? Perhaps, a good excuse to get out of whatever you are entitled to.
Reasonable time frame-what is that? A day a week a month? Were it me and I wanted that, beyond it's normal expected life unit repaired, I would ask what the part is, part number etc and see if you can find it. There are all kinds of strange businesses on the internet. I am stubbornness personified. I needed a no longer made plumbing part. I was told by a plumber the part is no longer made and I had no choice but to replace all of it. I found a guy a business that would make old plumbing parts. The part was not cheap but far less than tearing out the tile etc.
We had an old dryer that needed a part and parts not made. Our repair guy had a friend who had all kinds of old machines stored in his basement and amazingly enough our part.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:36 AM

I decided to investigate American Home Shield. I sent them an email. Now, regardless of endless attempts to block them, I'm enjoying two or more emails from them EVERY DAY.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
I decided to investigate American Home Shield. I sent them an email. Now, regardless of endless attempts to block them, I'm enjoying two or more emails from them EVERY DAY.
Try them you will like them. NOT

Old 06-27-2022, 04:39 AM
Veteran member
Default 10 Years

I do not have appliance insurance. We have been in our TV home for 10 years and the top double wall oven died, and our glass stove top is a bit worn. I decide to replace them both.
Even with the upgrade newer models it only coming in a little over $5,000. I've never trusted any of these insurance companies and block their calls. My outlook even if I am paying a little more in the end instead of getting an old appliance repaired, I'm getting new ones.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Had unsatisfactory experience 20 years ago. Very difficult to get timely service

Old 06-27-2022, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I disagree. The moral is to not buy a home warranty in the first place.
We also had AHS warranty and they refused to repair or replace our air conditioner due to terrible banging noises. the said it has to be totally dead before they do anything.. we cancelled

Old 06-27-2022, 05:06 AM

Very few repair persons want to work with them. They want customer to pay service call then want us to spend too much time getting repair approved.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:20 AM

Get help. You can either contact the Florida Insurance Commission or Senirs vs Crime. Maybe you can get some help through either organization.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:27 AM

Had AHS as well. My fridge wasn’t getting cold. Called and they had only one company in the area that they are contracted with, and one guy working for that company. Had to come 3 different times waiting for part then part came, installed and still didn’t work then another part and so on. Needless to say I was 3 months without a fridge, calling corporate fighting on the phone almost daily. Finally cancelled and called Broward. With one visit my fridge was fixed.

Tags
repair, replace, home, ahs, contract

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.