Animal control

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2023, 09:47 PM
Default Animal control

If I discover a gator (or other wild animal) in the yard (or house), who should I call? I saw online there a number of animal control companies serving the Villages area. Does TV offer animal control as a public service or do you have to pay for a private firm to come remove the gator (or other animal)?
[hasn't happened yet, but I like to be prepared]
Old 05-10-2023, 08:10 AM
Gold member

If you call in to report a gator, the vast majority of those are killed and sent to tannery shops. Heavy price for crossing someones yard going to one lake from another.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

just leave it alone, it will move along by itself.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

If you find a gator in your house... Call me... I want to take pictures of the hilarity that will surely ensue!

-Tom Petty
Old 05-10-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmintzer View Post
if you find a gator in your house... Call me... I want to take pictures of the hilarity that will surely ensue!
lol!!!!
Old 05-10-2023, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
If I discover a gator (or other wild animal) in the yard (or house), who should I call? I saw online there a number of animal control companies serving the Villages area. Does TV offer animal control as a public service or do you have to pay for a private firm to come remove the gator (or other animal)?
Different world view. My wife worries about what might happen. I deal only with things that have happened and then deal with them. Aside, wife and i eat the same food. My cholesterol is low her's is high. I sleep well at night, she is on pills and can't sleep.

Suggestion if STUFF happens call the villages offices they are very helpful.
Old 05-10-2023, 05:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

My “go-to” seems to be Villages Customer Service. If they don’t know, they’ll find out.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Like much of the advice you get on here, mine may not be worth reading, but if you are GENUINELY worried about gators and (possibly other wildlife, we are in Florida), call your county, they "may" be more helpful than the villages, but not sure. Our county, Sumter, DOES have an animal control department, but you should check with your county and not go on the fact that our county does. It would seem most counties do, but, "may, might, seems like" are not going to help answer YOUR question. Most wildlife is not interested in hanging around our homes, but sure, it can happen. And you always have those fools who feed the wildlife and, gators can be aggressive in the right circumstances (spring mating season for instance). If you are new here, be sure to take a visit to Gatorland, not only is it a fun day out and away from the "bubble", and a great place to take visitors, but you will learn SO MUCH about gators, Florida, and other Florida wildlife a well. You will leave with a much greater understanding (they explain and educate everything), but your mind will probably be at ease knowing more about these prehistoric like creatures and their habits. And one more thought, this is an unusually dry season ! I'm sure you've noticed some retention ponds are now completely dry. This means some male gators "may" have to travel much further than usual to find the "WOMEN". This "could" mean they get confused and cut across property that would not be their normal routine ! ?

Last edited by Pairadocs; 05-10-2023 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-10-2023, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default Sumter County Web Site

Nuisance Wildlife

What is Considered Nuisance Wildlife?Racoon

Florida Fish and Wildlife Commision (FWC) defines nuisance wildlife as wildlife that causes (or is about to cause) property damage, presents a threat to public safety, or causes an annoyance within, under, or upon a building.

Examples of wildlife that could be a nuisance to residents are:

Coyotes
Foxes
Opossums
Raccoons
Skunks
Snakes
Removal of Nuisance Wildlife

Animal Services (AS) generally deals only with domestic animals. Domestic animals exclude wildlife and exotic animals in accordance with Chapter 4 of the Sumter County Code. AS works cooperatively with the Sumter County Health Department and FWC to educate the public regarding nuisance wildlife.

Contact the local FWC office located in Ocala at 352-732-1225. Referrals to private trappers are provided to residents who report nuisance wildlife in most situations.

Visit the FWC website for a listing of trappers.

AlligatorSpecies Dealt With
FWC will respond to situations involving alligators (4 feet or larger), deer, bears, bats (non-human exposure), most migratory birds or eggs, state or federally listed species of special concern, and threatened or endangered species. View the Threatened / Endangered Species Listing for more information
Old 05-10-2023, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Alligator Nuisance hotline
(866) 392-4286
Old 05-10-2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Different world view. My wife worries about what might happen. I deal only with things that have happened and then deal with them. Aside, wife and i eat the same food. My cholesterol is low her's is high. I sleep well at night, she is on pills and can't sleep.

Suggestion if STUFF happens call the villages offices they are very helpful.
There's a difference between being prepared and worrying. I was a Boy Scout. Being prepared has served me well. I sleep fine.
The preparation I'm looking for is to simply have the right phone number in my speed dial.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Alligator Nuisance hotline
(866) 392-4286
What about snakes?
Old 05-10-2023, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
My “go-to” seems to be Villages Customer Service. If they don’t know, they’ll find out.
They're only open til 5pm. If the gator wanders in at 9 pm, is there another alternative?
Old 05-10-2023, 10:58 PM

So, back to my original question regarding animal control as a public service by TV or the county, vs. hiring a trapper if necessary. Sounds like it's not much of a concern -- I'm the new kid on the block, so still learning the ropes. Has anyone actually ever had to call an animal control service?
Old 05-11-2023, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
They're only open til 5pm. If the gator wanders in at 9 pm, is there another alternative?
Drinks? Cheese and crackers?

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
animal, control, gator, private, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.