Animal Lovers Needed to Attend Meeting

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Default the Animal industry ....

The reality is - Humane Societies are actually slaughterhouses.
It's a fact of life. The more animals that come through the door, the more $$$ they make. IF ... the slaughterhouses wanted to stop the kill, they could do it on a national basis BUT it will not happen cause "humane societies" are a business. They need the $$$ to keep the doors open.

As to the "no kill" shelters - they have a list of reasons why it is permissable to kill and in reality .. that covers everything. If not, when the kennels are full, the "reason" is created such as sick, dying, influenza, heartworm, aggressive, etc.

As a "volunteer" it is hard to know the truth. As a worker, you see the truth but don't like to talk about the lies.

Every industry in this country pays a tax for creating garbage or pays for hauling off garbage. What is exempt - backyard breeders and "akc" breeders. The American Killing Club is one of the worst offenders. Until all "breeders" are taxed for their extra "garbage" your pets, and mine, will be killed.

So, if you think of humane societies as "I love all pets and there is nothing I will do ..." then the lies will continue. If you really want to make change, you need to start with the breeders. They need to pay and be controlled just like the cattle industry, the dairy industry, the tire industry etc.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
All the OP and supporters want is for others to attend a meeting to make positive changes for homeless and lost pets.
Many of the comments and questions have been accusatory and negative.
They shouldn't be. This meeting is for a good cause.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am trying to understand. It sounds like the point of friction is that the government agency didn't call a private individual rather than the Humane Society. I understand your intense caring but can you or your group realistically change the way things are done?

In trying to understand this issue I came across this piece. In the comments some feel that in certain cases Euthanasia is sometimes more Humane than how an animal must live. Here is the article;

Michigan Humane Society under fire over kill rates; two board members resign
I don't see why there is even a discussion over this. For decades we boomers have been told "If you don't like the laws or the way things are done, work to change the laws or the way things are done." That's, we have been told over and over again, the way a democracy works. So here is Angie, trying to work to change the way things are done, and people are grilling her? Either directly or passive-aggresively.

The way I see it, she's going about this in a most democratic way. If you don't agree with her or doubt her facts, figures, motives, go to the meeting and ask questions. If you do agree with her, go to the meeting and support her.

She has explained herself satisfactorily, IMO.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I don't see why there is even a discussion over this. For decades we boomers have been told "If you don't like the laws or the way things are done, work to change the laws or the way things are done." That's, we have been told over and over again, the way a democracy works. So here is Angie, trying to work to change the way things are done, and people are grilling her? Either directly or passive-aggresively.

The way I see it, she's going about this in a most democratic way. If you don't agree with her or doubt her facts, figures, motives, go to the meeting and ask questions. If you do agree with her, go to the meeting and support her.

Well said & totally agree!
Old 08-15-2017, 07:07 AM
Sage

First, I will address the call I received from the gentleman who called just to harass me. (who does that with caller ID?)

Anyone who is in any of my groups knows that I promote tags, collar ID, and chips for all pets! It's the first line of defense.

If you have a Collar ID or Tag ID on your pet. Neither me or Sumter County will get a call when your pet is found. The only person who will get a call is YOU!

A chip is a back up to the tag and collar for when you give your dog a bath and the dog got away from you. BTW... we have the cleanest dogs in the world.

Second... I agree with puppy mills. They are part of the problem.

Closing puppy mills down is simple. Stop buying from them and adopt. When they can no longer make money, they will stop breeding!

Have a great day folks... See you on the 22nd.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:58 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
We ARE supporting the Humane Society and THEY ARE supporting us.

The issue is they are killing 32% of dogs and cats every month. If one of YOUR cats gets out and they pick it up.... You have three days to claim it, before it would be killed. Often times they don't even get a photo out in time.

Only three days in Sumter County to find your pet. You better be there EVERY day... AND you can't just go there. You have to go to the Humane Society to have someone take you over to Animal Services.

Because of this situation, if someone finds a pet in Sumter County they will often times drive to Lake county and call that county, who is already a successful No Kill Shelter, to come and get it so it will not be killed.

Because Lake County is getting many of our animals, it does two things. One, you won't know to go to Lake County to find your pet and two, they are handling two counties instead of their one. Therefore... Lake county is ALSO supporting us.

Now... to why WE got involved.

I run Lost Pets of The Villages. If you lose a pet I will do everything in my power to help you get it back, including going to your hood and talking to as many people that I can to get more eyes looking for your pet. I will tell you what has worked in the past for other owners and blast out in social media, calling the radio station and Community Watch. to find your beloved pet.

If you find a pet, I will come to your home and scan the pet, and do everything in my power to find the owner. Including going door to door and driving around the hood to find them, blasting out on social media, calling the radio station and Community Watch.

Because people don't know how to find their pets, I also post on PetHarbor and Craigslist for you as well as letting the appropriate county know about the lost or found pet.

I do this so that YOUR pet doesn't go to Animal Services. I do it as fast as I can, in case your pet is old and needs meds. Understand, if your pet is old and needs meds... that pet will not make it out of Animal Services. So, if you want a cheap way to kill your pet... Don't call me.

Back to my story.

On July 11, 2017, Sumter County sent a change to the SOP that going forward Community Watch was not to call me but to call Animal Services to come and pick up YOUR pet to take to the shelter.

As for Lake and Marion counties, I could still be called, but NOT Sumter. BTW... what county do you live in?

Long story short, I called the county and requested a change. I came up with several solutions for a fighting chance to save our pets and all were rejected.

Now, we will continue the process of changing our Animal Services to a No Kill Shelter.

This is an elderly community. People do not know how to look for their pets. Some don't have the means to travel to the shelter, and why should they if I can get the pet back?

As the "number of animals allegedly killed by this shelter". Those number are THEIR numbers. Although,I'm told they are not correct. Since there is no transparency, there is no way to know.

A No Kill shelter will help keep the Feral cats down, buy doing a TNR, Trap Neuter and release, which doesn't appear we have in this County. We need the feral cats to keep the rats and mice down. Many cities ie. New York are using them for just that purpose.

In the almost two years that I have been doing this, I have learned that the dog or cat that you think is a mongrel... is oftentimes someone's beloved pet.

I do not get any money for this. I do it because I care.

For all of those who are supporting us in this effort, THANK YOU

Angie Fox
Lost Pets of The Villages
815-370-9115
Angie, thank you for what you do! I follow many of the lost dog groups on Facebook especially in Marion County. I have had to utilize once before for my baby that got out of the yard and have also been able to reunite two dogs because of these sites and the work Angie and others like her do. My family and I will be attending on August 22 to show our support. Anything we can do to help our fur babies and our neighbor's fur babies is a positive thing!

--Alexa

*Please disregard this coming from my company name, we do pay to advertise on this site which enables us to post. I do not want anyone to think I am using this post as a means of advertising because I am not. I care about helping dogs and I had to post so Angie knows she has some support. Hopefully no one will misinterpret my intentions. Thank you!*
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I don't see why there is even a discussion over this. Here is Angie, trying to work to change the way things are done, and people are grilling her? Either directly or passive-aggresively. The way I see it, she's going about this in a most democratic way. If you don't agree with her or doubt her facts, figures, motives, go to the meeting and ask questions. If you do agree with her, go to the meeting and support her.
I totally agree, and hope a big crowd turns out in support.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Default Peta

Someone in the group keeps posting PETA links.

Anyone who knows anything about PETA knows they do more harm than they do good. They kill more animals than any other organization!

Anyone involved in saving our pets hates PETA.

Here is an example of one time it bit them in the butt!

PETA to pay family $49k for euthanizing child’s Chihuahua | WFTV
Old 08-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Someone in the group keeps posting PETA links.

Anyone who knows anything about PETA knows they do more harm than they do good. They kill more animals than any other organization!

Anyone involved in saving our pets hates PETA.

Here is an example of one time it bit them in the butt!

PETA to pay family $49k for euthanizing child’s Chihuahua | WFTV
Was not aware of that about PETA.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Was not aware of that about PETA.
This is not a recent article, but you can see, they are no friend to the animals

How Many Pets Did PETA Kill in 2012? | HuffPost
Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Sage

If you want to know what is going on at the Sumter County Animal Control, *like* this page.

Warning, it's disturbing.

Shelter Reform for Sumter County, Florida - Home | Facebook
Old 08-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
We ARE supporting the Humane Society and THEY ARE supporting us.

The issue is they are killing 32% of dogs and cats every month. If one of YOUR cats gets out and they pick it up.... You have three days to claim it, before it would be killed. Often times they don't even get a photo out in time.

Only three days in Sumter County to find your pet. You better be there EVERY day... AND you can't just go there. You have to go to the Humane Society to have someone take you over to Animal Services.

Because of this situation, if someone finds a pet in Sumter County they will often times drive to Lake county and call that county, who is already a successful No Kill Shelter, to come and get it so it will not be killed.

Because Lake County is getting many of our animals, it does two things. One, you won't know to go to Lake County to find your pet and two, they are handling two counties instead of their one. Therefore... Lake county is ALSO supporting us.

Now... to why WE got involved.

I run Lost Pets of The Villages. If you lose a pet I will do everything in my power to help you get it back, including going to your hood and talking to as many people that I can to get more eyes looking for your pet. I will tell you what has worked in the past for other owners and blast out in social media, calling the radio station and Community Watch. to find your beloved pet.

If you find a pet, I will come to your home and scan the pet, and do everything in my power to find the owner. Including going door to door and driving around the hood to find them, blasting out on social media, calling the radio station and Community Watch.

Because people don't know how to find their pets, I also post on PetHarbor and Craigslist for you as well as letting the appropriate county know about the lost or found pet.

I do this so that YOUR pet doesn't go to Animal Services. I do it as fast as I can, in case your pet is old and needs meds. Understand, if your pet is old and needs meds... that pet will not make it out of Animal Services. So, if you want a cheap way to kill your pet... Don't call me.

Back to my story.

On July 11, 2017, Sumter County sent a change to the SOP that going forward Community Watch was not to call me but to call Animal Services to come and pick up YOUR pet to take to the shelter.

As for Lake and Marion counties, I could still be called, but NOT Sumter. BTW... what county do you live in?

Long story short, I called the county and requested a change. I came up with several solutions for a fighting chance to save our pets and all were rejected.

Now, we will continue the process of changing our Animal Services to a No Kill Shelter.

This is an elderly community. People do not know how to look for their pets. Some don't have the means to travel to the shelter, and why should they if I can get the pet back?

As the "number of animals allegedly killed by this shelter". Those number are THEIR numbers. Although,I'm told they are not correct. Since there is no transparency, there is no way to know.

A No Kill shelter will help keep the Feral cats down, buy doing a TNR, Trap Neuter and release, which doesn't appear we have in this County. We need the feral cats to keep the rats and mice down. Many cities ie. New York are using them for just that purpose.

In the almost two years that I have been doing this, I have learned that the dog or cat that you think is a mongrel... is oftentimes someone's beloved pet.

I do not get any money for this. I do it because I care.

For all of those who are supporting us in this effort, THANK YOU

Angie Fox
Lost Pets of The Villages
815-370-9115
I admire your work. Our Abby Gale is a rescue and she is the BEST. My BIL said that a dog knows when it has been rescued. I agree.
Closed Thread

Tags
animal, colony, meeting, county, attend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.