Animals in public places

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Default Re: Animals in public places

We have enjoyed taking our two dogs to the town square at Lake Sumter Landing. We met many other dog lovers and got to talk to a lot of new people, interested in talking about the dogs. We did not think we were being offensive and enjoyed the friendly conversation. We are moving to the Villages for that friendly open atmosphere. It is a shame that friendly openess does not extend to all. I still think those that love animals are the people that we want to get to know anyway.
P.S.
Those that do not appreciate the dogs should not travel to Europe as they are always allowed in department stores, shops, and restaurants. No one seems to mind at all.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhetzel
It appears that some pet owners are as inconsiderate of others as some smokers are. What a shame!
It's no wonder we prefer our pets over certain people.....
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 PM

AMEN!

Lynn
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 PM

My post name says it all. Duffy is our Carin Terrier and the great great granddaughter of Toto and Darby is our Westie. When we finally get to TV, stop and say Hi to them when you see them at some of the outdoor dances. We won't be staying long because we don't want to offend anyone. We just want them taught to be good and kind dogs in public. We think that's it's important to socialize them if at anytime they have to be around lots of people. We can't do that if they are kept in the house all the time.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Sage

I'm happy to see there are so many pet lovers who have well trained dogs and who enjoy their animals. One reason we recently bought in the Villages (a Courtyard Villa, natch) ... because we saw so many dogs (on leashes) in public places. I hope that never changes, and that our two dogs make many new friends.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 AM

Yep I've seen dogs in Lowe's and Home Depot. Just how anyone can be offended by a white, beige, spotted puff ball sitting on a towel in the kiddie seat doing nothing but looking around.....Oh yeah "looking"....maybe we shouldn't look into others shopping carts. Yeah for the dogs.....and leash the grand kids. I love TV since there are way more dog lovers than dog dislikers. I say hi to every dog I see since they pups KNOW that the only reason people go to the town squares is to see them.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:06 PM

VillagerJudy!

We don't want to live in a Villa necessarily but we may have to if walking our dog (and picking up) will get us booed by some people. We want to be really good Villagers when we get there and don't want to rub anyone the wrong way.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyduff
VillagerJudy!

We don't want to live in a Villa necessarily but we may have to if walking our dog (and picking up) will get us booed by some people. We want to be really good Villagers when we get there and don't want to rub anyone the wrong way.
Darbyduff, you don't have to live in a Villa to own a dog. The rules for dog ownership is only that they need to be leashed and you have to pick up after them! Pet owners live in all type of homes from the patio villas to the largest premier. We live in a ranch and we have had no problem what so ever. We do take our dog out on a leash on our property to do her business. We also walk her off the property but usually after she has gone and then it is near public areas like the rec center or mail box area. I do have lots and lots of neighbors that walk their pets right around our neighborhood and they do pick up after them. I haven't heard of anyone in our neighborhood that has had a problem.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 PM

PLEASE no fences in The Villages. I had an ugly unpainted wooden fence in the neighbors yard at my last home. Couldn't wait to move. Plenty of places to walk your pets. Plenty of dog parks to excerise your pet. And if you want privacy go live in a high rise. Only spiderman could look in your windows.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 PM

I'd guess your neighbor felt the same way as you.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:01 PM

When rude, loud mouth people who don't know how to say excuse me when they bump into you stop coming to the squares, and stop loud conversations drowning out the performers, then I will leave my dog at home.
sgvegas
Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 PM

By the way, anyone who doesn't know how to pick up dog doo. Always carry a zip lock bag (appropriate size of dog), turn it inside out, stick your hand inside and pick up the doo doo roll it off your hand so it is right side out and zip it up. Also works with the plastic sleeves that come on your newpapers. No muss, no fuss, and should be no complaints from neighbors. :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-05-2007, 12:44 PM

We end up with a lot of plastic bags so we tie them to both of our dogs leashes and when the time is right, they are handy. Or we put the zip log bags in the bags if we're running low on bags. There has been times when one of our dogs makes a couple of deposits on the lawns of our neighbors but we are always ready for any emergency's.

It's good to know that there are many dog owners that live homes other than the villas. What would you say the percentage of dog owners are in the villages? Just curious. :dontknow:
Old 08-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Oshunluva,

We'll have your dogs sniff my dogs!!!! ;D ;D :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 AM

Freddy will leave them "pee" mails to welcome them. LMAO. And in your golf cart keep a roll of small plastic garbage bags for extra pick ups......it is just soooooo much neater in the glove box than plastic bags
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.