No the reporting party should identify themselves with the complaint 130 65.33%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2023, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
How would that eliminate complaints? There is no way Comminity Watch could enforce all of the rules. There are probably at least 20 violations on my street alone.
This same thought has been posted several times."There are probably at least 20 violations on my street alone." Rules and how to enforce them in a planned community are always an issue."
They can and do turn into neighbor wars. Do we want that?

I will bet on any property someone can find something in violation. An acquaintance of mine not The Villages, not even Florida was fighting over a tree. He had had the tree for years. He being stubborn AS I AM. Went to war over his tree. His legal bills last I herd were over 20,000.
He passed away. His daughter inherited the home and sold the property to the worst trash she could find.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Question? Why hasn't anyone taken photo's of the 'trolls" they claim to have seen?
A picture of the two old biddies in a golfcart with clipboard was posted on here some time ago
Old 05-13-2023, 04:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

This one is a toughie - I could argue merits for both sides of this coin. I vote yes, keep,them anonymous, as I can see times where that might be the best option for a “serious” violation in a situation that could turn very comfortable or even hostile towards the person making the complaint. I do believe, however, that there needs to be some control over people that make frequent complaints about rather trivial infractions.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Were the violations eliminated or do they still exist?
Can’t answer.
But, maybe the neighbors don’t feel little landscape violations (?) really aren’t violations.
Turning in 50+ complaints across ALL villages were probable WAG guesses any way……..by a troll.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Neither. People complaining should be identified to Community Standards, but their identifying information should be confidential, and not available to the homeowner of the house being complained about.
This would get my vote. Maybe the Poll can be re-run with this as one of the options.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:54 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
A picture of the two old biddies in a golfcart with clipboard was posted on here some time ago
Fake News.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Can’t answer.
But, maybe the neighbors don’t feel little landscape violations (?) really aren’t violations.
Turning in 50+ complaints across ALL villages were probable WAG guesses any way……..by a troll.
Per your quote from McCain, "truth and transparency". To me that means only legit and verified violations along with "verified and eligible source"* of complaint named on written copy of the complaint will be issued to the accused.

*"verified, eligible source" = "person or persons residing in the same village (perhaps) where the violation exists".
Old 05-13-2023, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
This would get my vote. Maybe the Poll can be re-run with this as one of the options.
Not voting is a "neither" vote.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,517 Times in 3,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Not voting is a "neither" vote.
Not voting is a "you won't know if I think neither, or if I think one, or the other. I'm not telling you."

There are how many members of Talk of the Villages who didn't vote? And you're assuming every single one of them thinks "neither?" I dunno - I think most of them think "I didn't even read the thread and don't know it exists."

Meanwhile, we have a policy right here on this forum, and on most forums on the internet. If someone is reported, and is shown to be violating a rule, that violator is infracted or otherwise given a heads up that they did something wrong. But they are NOT told who reported them. The admin of the site, however, knows our handle, our e-mail address, and our IP address. And if they really wanted to, they could find out who we are. So we are not anonymous to the forum admin. Our reports, however, are anonymous to the person who violated the rules.

I think that's 100% fair and legit.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhyder View Post
Are anonymous complaints serving the best interest of Village residents?
I have thought about this several times, especially after our neighborhood was hit with around 3 dozen complaints, over the phone.

Here are my thoughts about how to change the existing system to maintain the anonymous system and at the same time eliminate the "trolls".

1. Anyone desiring to file complaint would be required to get a form from Community Standards (either online or at the office). Community Standards will design the form. Phoned in complaints will no longer be accepted.
2. The complainer would fill out the form, which would include the nature of the complaint, the location of the infraction, and whether it is a serious infraction. Serious infractions would involve, buildings, water flow/drainage, infraction of build lines, permits, etc. Minor infractions would typically be signs, lawn ornaments etc.
3. One (1) complaint per form.
4. The completed form would need to presented in person, with complainer’s village photo ID to the VCDD. The photo ID would NOT be recorded. The reason for this is that going forward, only people living in the same village would be allowed to file complaints in that village.
5. There would be NO identifying information on the person filing the complaint.
6. There will be a charge to be paid for each complaint filed, cash only. The charge could start at say $10 per complaint and be adjusted as necessary to limit “troll” activity. To maintain anonymity, there will be NO receipts or records of the payment.
7. If the review board finds the complaint to be valid, then the existing procedures will be used to get the property into compliance.

I am sure there would be some tweaks needed to ensure that the identity of the complainer is not recorded or revealed.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Neither. People complaining should be identified to Community Standards, but their identifying information should be confidential, and not available to the homeowner of the house being complained about.

In this way, there can be a standard of accountability imposed on the people making the complaints in addition to the people being complained about.

If you have to live in the same CDD as the property you're complaining about, that means Community Standards has to know who you are. I think this should always be the case.
Wont work in Florida - they have very open sunshine laws.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I don't remember that but assume no identification or more would have occurred.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-14-2023, 05:15 AM

Not all complaints come from residents. I had a realtor stop me while I was out doing yard work. She is trying to sell a house two doors down from me for months. The house in between has an owner who is MIA. The yard is dead, half the trees and bushes are dead or overgrown, plenty of weeds and lots of mold. She told me she was going to report them.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travilinggal View Post
Not all complaints come from residents. I had a realtor stop me while I was out doing yard work. She is trying to sell a house two doors down from me for months. The house in between has an owner who is MIA. The yard is dead, half the trees and bushes are dead or overgrown, plenty of weeds and lots of mold. She told me she was going to report them.
Unfortunately the worst cases of neglect never get rectified until the home is sold, usually by the bank that owns the property. We have one on our street where the owner is in a nursing home and there are no children or relatives interested in the property.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:53 AM
Default Complaint Suggestions

I LOVE IT!! Good for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have thought about this several times, especially after our neighborhood was hit with around 3 dozen complaints, over the phone.

Here are my thoughts about how to change the existing system to maintain the anonymous system and at the same time eliminate the "trolls".

1. Anyone desiring to file complaint would be required to get a form from Community Standards (either online or at the office). Community Standards will design the form. Phoned in complaints will no longer be accepted.
2. The complainer would fill out the form, which would include the nature of the complaint, the location of the infraction, and whether it is a serious infraction. Serious infractions would involve, buildings, water flow/drainage, infraction of build lines, permits, etc. Minor infractions would typically be signs, lawn ornaments etc.
3. One (1) complaint per form.
4. The completed form would need to presented in person, with complainer’s village photo ID to the VCDD. The photo ID would NOT be recorded. The reason for this is that going forward, only people living in the same village would be allowed to file complaints in that village.
5. There would be NO identifying information on the person filing the complaint.
6. There will be a charge to be paid for each complaint filed, cash only. The charge could start at say $10 per complaint and be adjusted as necessary to limit “troll” activity. To maintain anonymity, there will be NO receipts or records of the payment.
7. If the review board finds the complaint to be valid, then the existing procedures will be used to get the property into compliance.

I am sure there would be some tweaks needed to ensure that the identity of the complainer is not recorded or revealed.
Closed Thread

Tags
anonymous, complaints, serving, interest, village

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.