Another Pet Peeve ... Talking during a movie

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Platinum member
Default Another Pet Peeve ... Talking during a movie

I'm continually amazed and annoyed by the folks who feel that it is perfectly alright to have a conversation with those sitting with them during a movie. Seriously folks, do you think you are at home in front of your television? The rest of us (wait, I'm only speaking for myself) do not appreciate the distraction of hearing you talk while we paid our money to listen to the film, rather than to you. We don't want to hear how you knew it all along. Don't you listen to the respectful request before the film starts to refrain from talking? I guess you missed it because you were probably talking while the announcement was being made. Folks, please "SHUT THE .........," ummm, that's too harsh. How's this? "PLEASE BE QUIET DURING THE MOVIE." And don't get me started on turning off your cellphones. Am I the only one who experiences this?

OK, I'm taking a deep breath and reciting my mantra! Serenity now, Serenity now! There's lots worse problems in the world than this, but this one could be so easily fixed.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 AM
Gold member

That is so annoying. Some people just think they are so important or privileged that they don't have to follow the rules.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Cell phone are just as bad
Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I'm continually amazed and annoyed by the folks who feel that it is perfectly alright to have a conversation with those sitting with them during a movie. Seriously folks, do you think you are at home in front of your television? The rest of us (wait, I'm only speaking for myself) do not appreciate the distraction of hearing you talk while we paid our money to listen to the film, rather than to you. We don't want to hear how you knew it all along. Don't you listen to the respectful request before the film starts to refrain from talking? I guess you missed it because you were probably talking while the announcement was being made. Folks, please "SHUT THE .........," ummm, that's too harsh. How's this? "PLEASE BE QUIET DURING THE MOVIE." And don't get me started on turning off your cellphones. Am I the only one who experiences this?

OK, I'm taking a deep breath and reciting my mantra! Serenity now, Serenity now! There's lots worse problems in the world than this, but this one could be so easily fixed.

I am thinking about taking my squirt gun the next time I go. I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 AM

Oh, I agree. Cell phones muted, and NO talking!

I have to say, too, how happy I am that this isn't another doggy gripe thread:-) I took the thread title too literally!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran member
Arrow

Quote:

AMEN to everything you stated!!!!!!!

Amen
Old 08-31-2014, 10:20 AM

The question I would have to ask is " How did it come to this in the first place. " What happened for people to think it was ok to act this way. Sometimes, and a lot more these days, I just don't get it.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

I agree as well, but you just need to realize that there are those that just can't stop talking......ever, no matter where they are.... at least not for very long. I know this because I was married to one, once.

The only circumstance where this is even more annoying is at a concert. Seems like every time we go there is always a chatty-kathy behind us talking about a cute purse she almost bought, or worse yet, singing along (and always off-key) with the artist that we paid big money to see & HEAR. More than once we've got up & moved, since it seems to be the policy these days for the ushers not to dare offend anyone by telling them to shut the @#%$ up.

edit: I should add that it's not always women talking at concerts. A few years ago at a Bonnie Rait concert two men behind us were all fired up about "deer huntin" season almost being here. Needless to say we were thrilled to be informed.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL

Last edited by Serenoa; 08-31-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 AM

I so agree.people have become so rude......
I have been to concerts in TV at the Savanna Center where people have commented quite loudly how they are disappointed in the entertainment and got up and walked out. They did not wait for the music to stop or for a break in the performance. They just got up and walked down the balcony stairs(which are quite noisy) grumbling all the way. It is something I have never experienced before and it baffles me.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Please Please Please Gracie

Can I go with you....I'll bring my camera....giggle, giggle, snort, snort...That would be so much fun, almost as good as a food fight in grade school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am thinking about taking my squirt gun the next time I go. I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Do you feel better now that you've vented? And, I want to see Gracie with her squirt gun
Old 08-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
The question I would have to ask is " How did it come to this in the first place. " What happened for people to think it was ok to act this way. Sometimes, and a lot more these days, I just don't get it.
When they dropped out of school!
Old 08-31-2014, 02:18 PM
Default another pet peeve...talking during a movie

I agree with you. When the cell phone keeps being checked and so you have the light from that and the talking drives me crazy and often times the person is hard of hearing so its a very loud conversation. Do not even get me started when they start kicking the back of my seat. Once or twice I can let go by but the whole movie. I will turn around and look at them but it continues. I have even asked them nicely not to kick my seat. Too many times I have just gotten up and changed my seat. I should not have to do that and sometimes the place is full so there are no seats. If people would just be considerate it would be a much nicer experience. Just venting.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerbaby View Post
I agree with you. When the cell phone keeps being checked and so you have the light from that and the talking drives me crazy and often times the person is hard of hearing so its a very loud conversation. Do not even get me started when they start kicking the back of my seat. Once or twice I can let go by but the whole movie. I will turn around and look at them but it continues. I have even asked them nicely not to kick my seat. Too many times I have just gotten up and changed my seat. I should not have to do that and sometimes the place is full so there are no seats. If people would just be considerate it would be a much nicer experience. Just venting.
Sadly, some people just don't know any better.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster View Post
Sadly, some people just don't know any better.
And some people don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.