Another Pickleball noise complaint article

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2023, 05:21 AM

That sport is beneath me. I call it pick your nose ball.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,721 Times in 981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster21 View Post
That sport is beneath me. I call it pick your nose ball.
perfect! One less person in my way.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,166 Times in 894 Posts

Even though I adore playing pickleball, I totally get the noise complaints. It's satisfying to hear that pop while playing, but hearing it from my house would not be happy times for me.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:19 AM

It's growing all over the US and not a fad anymore.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
All these years since we moved here, not seen even a TINY reduction in the traffic on the pickle-ball courts, NONE at all. It might be a ""fad" in the "north", but from our view (with experience only in the "south", it sure doesn't look like it compares at all to the other "fads" mentioned ! I will say, when we picked out our lot, some infrastructure was already completed. Specifically, pickle ball courts and the initial foundation for a rec center. My FIRST thought/comment to hubby was, THIS is THE lot for us, back yard would actually adjoin the grounds of the rec center and courts...like having our very own courts. But, we looked for the rest of the day, took the plot map we were given, and later, when privately talking and considering which lot to buy, my tennis player hubby said, "I wonder if pickle ball is as loud as tennis ?" That's when I stopped to think, it's faster with a smaller ball, I would guess it's even LOUDER than an tennis game. Now, all these years later, learning to play ourselves, and having a friend who DID buy a lot adjoining courts, after trying for over 4 years to just get used to the noise which typically began by at least 7 a.m. in the warm months, they finally sold and moved to another location in another village to an existing home... did not build another. Since then, we always tell our visitors, who are thinking about buying a home here, to think DEEPLY about such things as train tracks, tennis and pickle ball courts, swimming pools, golf courses that adjoin a back yard, and homes and villas adjoining the high school stadium. Again, had friends from Mass. to bought a villa directly behind high school stadium thinking, the band, the roar of the crowd, the LIGHTS, only on Friday nights in season would NOT present a problem for them; it never even entered their thoughts that bands do practice many days, not just on march on Friday night, along with many other activities. Suffice to say most people, coming from traditional cities and towns, EVEN if their home is close to a park district or school, are NOT in such close proximity as to feel right ON the field or park like here in the V's. So many might say, "poor planning", they should have "done their homework", but so many would never have an experience that would make them think about homes ever being located to so many distractions...except possible, those who had lived by railroad tracks as I had as a child. We lived 3 blocks north of the major line though town, and in those days, it was not only the NOISE of 3 trains a day, but the SOOT in the air. Mom would send us out to get her fresh laundry OFF the lines before the time the morning and afternoon trains went through.. LOL !

For some, those things would have no effect
Yeah, and pickerball go away here in TV!?? Definitly NOPE. They build mail and rec centers with pickleball courts etc first. "Let the buyer beware." When house hunting with T V realtors they warn you of the noise (mine did at least). If a person buys a house online without putting any research into it then it's on them. With the rapid growth here there are MANY things to research.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:27 AM

It's addictive and growing. In snow states the courts are indoors and there are waiting lines to get in.

It's not going anywhere, it's going everywhere.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Pickleball is the fastest growing sport and has been for a while. Some claim that where we lived before TV was the tennis Mecca of the south and we had these tennis establishments start converting some of their tennis courts to pickleball courts.
We gave up being USTA tennis members playing 5 & 6 times a week to playing pickleball multiple times every day of the week.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,136 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I think it’s the opposite, I think it will over take tennis.
It’s more fun and a lower barrier to entry.
I played tennis for over 40 years. It took many, many years to get competitive in tennis. Within 6 months I was a 4.0 in PB. My grand kids picked up PB from the get go. Much easier than tennis.
Both are so much fun, but my body wouldn't allow me to continue tennis.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I think it is pretty well established that
pickleball is here to stay and growing larger. When I play I don't think about the sound at all. But hearing it pulling up to the courts I can readily see where I would not want to live next to them.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,877 Times in 3,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msilagy View Post
It's growing all over the US and not a fad anymore.
Orthopedic doctors love it.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:58 AM

There's actually a growing movement "up North" to convert big box retail buildings (eg defunct KMart) into indoor pickleball....so, if you're in commercial real estate, hold on!!
Old 03-05-2023, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
It's addictive and growing. In snow states the courts are indoors and there are waiting lines to get in.

It's not going anywhere, it's going everywhere.
Indeed!

Then again, so is fentanyl.

Did a little quick research though on the topic (see below)

FAMOUS TENNIS PLAYERS

List starts with tennis as essentially played today, with racquets that hit balls over a net. In actuality the roots of the game are shrouded in antiquity, with Herodotus referring to tennis-like games played as far back as 450 BC.

Charles I (king of France) credited with building a royal tennis court at the Louvre in 1368.
Francis I (king of France 1515-1547)
Henry VIII (King of England 1509-1547). When he wasn't beheading wives, of course...
Leslie Ronaldson (contemporary of King Henry VIII) one of the first known professional tennis players.
Major Charles Wingfield, Englishman credited with standardizing tennis equipment.
James I (King of Scotland)
Edward VI (King of England)
Elizabeth I (Queen of England)
Frederick (Prince of Wales) who actually died 1n 1751 from an infection caused by being hit in the abdomen with a tennis ball.
Monsieur Masson (pre-eminent tennis professional of his time, who apparently made quite a good living betting on his matches.
Madame Bunell, French woman circa 1760, who took on and beat most of the better-known tennis players of her time, including the British champion Mr Tompkyns, who she beat soundly two sets to one.
Madame Masson (related by marriage to Monsieur Masson, about whom it was said, about 1790 or so, "Madame Masson, the celebrated tennis-player, lately arrived from Paris, has had an audience with his Royal Highness the Duke of York. This Gallic heroine of the racquet, it seems challenges to play with any person in Europe for one thousand guineas."
Napoleon III (Emperor of France 1852-1870)

Oh--and it is worth mentioning that lawn tennis was one of the original nine sports chosen for the first modern Olympic games in 1896.

And then of course we get to, say, the past 140 years or so and names most of us will recognize, such as the first Wimbledon Champion Spencer Gore (1877), the U.S. Championships in 1880 (won, incidentally, by an Englishman, O.E. Woodhouse), followed by in no particular order, Rod Laver, Stan Smith, Billy Jean King, Serena Williams, John McEnroe, Helen Willis, Bill Tilden, Andre Agassi, Maria Sharapova, Ermyntrude Harvey, Pancho Gonzalez, Don Budge, Margaret Court, Novak Djokovic, Pete Sampras, etc. etc. etc.

And now,

FAMOUS PICKLEBALL PLAYERS

Old 03-05-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
This is behind a paywall but If you aren't using the Brave browser you can get 1 free article per month.

And as always with Boston Globe articles, the entertainment can be found in the comments:

‘It’s loud and it’s repetitive.’ Some Wellesley residents sour on pickleball and its ‘pop pop pop.’ - The Boston Globe
From MA also- can’t see the article but the title tells me enough- “Wellesley” residents…
Old 03-05-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
This is behind a paywall but If you aren't using the Brave browser you can get 1 free article per month.

And as always with Boston Globe articles, the entertainment can be found in the comments:

‘It’s loud and it’s repetitive.’ Some Wellesley residents sour on pickleball and its ‘pop pop pop.’ - The Boston Globe
I wouldn't want to live near courts. I live in-between Truman and BeCall courts. Both are about a half a mile away and if the wind is blowing toward my house in either direction, I can hear the pickleball impact.
Old 03-05-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seecapecod View Post
From MA also- can’t see the article but the title tells me enough- “Wellesley” residents…
The comments on that article are comedy gold. Not a lot of sympathy for our (S)Wellesley residents.

FYI, if you use the Brave browser it's easy to delete cookies from the Globe site, refresh the page and you are back to your 1 free article per month. Just click on the padlock icon in the address bar.

Brave also blocks ads, including the annoying Youtube ads that interrupt youtube videos. And it blocks trackers as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
article, month, globe, boston, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.