Another round of high winds and.....

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts
Default Another round of high winds and.....

Another round of those damn unsightly dead palm fronds laying everywhere.

I wish the money being spent on newsprint for that wasted recreation news would be spent on cleaning out the palm trees; those fronds are dangerous flying projectiles.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Just part of living in this part of Florida. They are cleaned up pretty quickly. Not nearly as much trouble as all those leaves we had to rake in Ohio. Never heard of anyone being walloped with a palm frond.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Just part of living in this part of Florida. They are cleaned up pretty quickly. Not nearly as much trouble as all those leaves we had to rake in Ohio. Never heard of anyone being walloped with a palm frond.
Not a question of if it will happen, but when. One came down right in front of my cart on the 466a MMP the other day.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

In St. Louis we had lots of Bradford Pear trees. Wind storms brought those things down all over the place. Everyone knew to never stand under one during high winds. Guess that's why the palms don't seem to bother me. They do get cleaned up pretty quickly.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

We have So much free time and so much to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Sage

TV Landscaping does not prune dead palm fronds. They leave the trees natural, which for development-wide palm tree maintenance, is the best thing to do. My opinion of course.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
In St. Louis we had lots of Bradford Pear trees. Wind storms brought those things down all over the place. Everyone knew to never stand under one during high winds. Guess that's why the palms don't seem to bother me. They do get cleaned up pretty quickly.
If Bradford pear trees are pruned properly take out all the branches that grow out. The don't split and blow over. Had some in Oklahoma and never lost one that split. Besides they grow like weeds and you can cut them back to stump and couple branches on top of the stump and they will come right back. Windy day in Oklahoma is near hurricane wind down here.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 04-18-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Not a question of if it will happen, but when. One came down right in front of my cart on the 466a MMP the other day.
Those fonds are heavy and sharpe edges. It will hurt or hurt you if one clips you on the way down on windy day. When the wind get up and gusty from squall line I stay out from under the southern white oaks with all the Spanish moss also, never know when limb going to drop.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
TV Landscaping does not prune dead palm fronds. They leave the trees natural, which for development-wide palm tree maintenance, is the best thing to do. My opinion of course.
Until someone gets nailed by one of those heavy fronds with sharp edges described below; they could do some serious hurt to anyone they hit. Not a question of if, but when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Those fonds are heavy and sharpe edges. It will hurt or hurt you if one clips you on the way down on windy day. When the wind get up and gusty from squall line I stay out from under the southern white oaks with all the Spanish moss also, never know when limb going to drop.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Until someone gets nailed by one of those heavy fronds with sharp edges described below; they could do some serious hurt to anyone they hit. Not a question of if, but when.
All that you point out is true. There are various ways to think about it.

Everyone should trim the loose fronds. (but they won't)
The developer should trim the loose fronds (but they won't)
People should not plant palms. (They don't come in foundation plantings) but they won't.

It is dangerous, but it is part of the danger living in this part of Florida. Not anything can be done about preventing lightning strikes or sinkholes.

I bet you agree that Florida is by far safer and I think, nicer than California. They have potential for earthquakes and have eight of the ten most smoggy cities in the U.S. Hawaii is VERY expensive and has a sometimes active volcano and tsunami risk.

It is all relative and I am not a betting woman, but I bet the odds are not high for being harmed by falling fronds.

Enjoy this fine day in The Villages Krazorback. You are an officer and a gentleman.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
All that you point out is true. There are various ways to think about it.

Everyone should trim the loose fronds. (but they won't)
The developer should trim the loose fronds (but they won't)
People should not plant palms. (They don't come in foundation plantings) but they won't.

It is dangerous, but it is part of the danger living in this part of Florida. Not anything can be done about preventing lightning strikes or sinkholes.

I bet you agree that Florida is by far safer and I think, nicer than California. They have potential for earthquakes and have eight of the ten most smoggy cities in the U.S. Hawaii is VERY expensive and has a sometimes active volcano and tsunami risk.

It is all relative and I am not a betting woman, but I bet the odds are not high for being harmed by falling fronds.

Enjoy this fine day in The Villages Krazorback. You are an officer and a gentleman.

And those damned alligators .... they could take off an arm in 1 bite.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

And those pesky love bugs... fornicating all over my front porch. I think they should be banned along with the mosquitoes.

Muskegon, Michigan, where I used to live, had 100 inches of snow this past winter. Probably more now, since last weekend they had SNOW IN APRIL! AGAIN! They should clear all the roads, but they don't.

Everywhere has something that should be done, but isn't. I'll take my chances with palm fronds versus the many multi-car pileups that happened in Michigan last winter.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The only palms I am truly wary of are coconut palms. Many years ago when I was young and dumb I was lying on my stomach by a pool at the Hilton in Trinidad. The pool had a few very tall coconut palm trees around it. A huge heavy coconut fell about two feet from my head. I felt stupid but very lucky!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Also I think its needed for the palm rats ...natural habitat ? I wonder what it would add to the cost of living in TV to maintain all of the many palms....
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Tons of branches waiting for me in Virginia!
Closed Thread

Tags
fronds, spent, palm, round, flying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.