From another state

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
We moved from California in 2015. Retirement and moving are stressful and overwhelming. Once you have a plan you might be more at ease. What is your biggest worry? You are in for a treat. TV is a wonderful place to be!
This is our plan. To be living in the villagers by next year. My biggest worry is are we going to be happy with what we will be doing. The unknown can be stressful. When we came several times it did seem so nice. Clean, safe, quiet and just love the activities and squares and can drive golf carts around.

Will miss my son. He will be married next year. He will be in VA but his in laws live close to me in LI. I didn't expect him to marry a woman from where he grew up. That came on unexpectingly and we could celebrate the holidays together. Cannot do that in Florida.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 AM
fw102807

Came down here, bought a house, sold our house in New Hampshire and never looked back. The only snow and ice I ever want to see again is in pictures and as for "the fall foliage" looks nice for 2 weeks and then all falls down and starts to rot. It was a pretty easy adjustment for me.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
This is our plan. To be living in the villagers by next year. My biggest worry is are we going to be happy with what we will be doing. The unknown can be stressful. When we came several times it did seem so nice. Clean, safe, quiet and just love the activities and squares and can drive golf carts around.

Will miss my son. He will be married next year. He will be in VA but his in laws live close to me in LI. I didn't expect him to marry a woman from where he grew up. That came on unexpectingly and we could celebrate the holidays together. Cannot do that in Florida.
Hello Tomcat, From one wannabee to another, I hope your move to The Villages is as smooth and stress-free as possible and that you find a home that you and your husband are happy in. Happy house hunting!
Old 09-23-2017, 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Schaumburger;1451977]Hello Tomcat, From one wannabee to another, I hope your move to The Villages is as smooth and stress-free as possible and that you find a home that you and your husband are happy in. Happy house hunting! [/QUOTE

Well hello Schaumburget. Yes trying to make that move. Just retired. My coworkers were upset with it because I left very fast with an early buyout. You do not get a lot of time. My job was somewhat stressful and busy. Felt very bad. Taking it step by step. Sometimes I think I should go back and work a few more years just for them. 😔
Old 09-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

We visited here for a couple years before making the decision, and once made, never looked back We alsways took the position that the worse thing that could happen is we would sell here and move back....the best thing was we would move here and they would ship us back . Possessions, to us, were a representation of what was, not what will be. Kids got first choice, then neighbors, then an auctioneer, then the usual charities then the trash. It actually was liberating. New house, different stuff. Making new friends here is both easy and educational. Our current friends are from all over the place so we experience different food, attitudes, cultures and experiences. An added benefit is that if we plan on traveling someplace it's a safe bet someone here is from there and can provide all sort of insights. Our old friends from PA stay in touch, will come to visit and keep us informed of changes that happen back there. The kids and grand kids did have an issue when we told them we were going but that went away after their first visit. They understood it was time for us. It does seem they show up more frequently lately . What finally convinced us when we found our amenity fee included snow removal. Home is here.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

See all the good info you got. I miss Christmas Eve with our Grandchildren but there are only so many days we have to live and I'm not living mine for that. The kids are so busy with school, sports, friends, Thankfully they have a good little life going for themselves. Skype is a wonderful thing.

In my opinion if any move is for a Geographical Cure it won't work. Relax and enjoy the experience. All the hardships you face getting here are soon forgotten. You have made some great contacts on your thread. Good Job Already!
Old 09-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=TOMCAT;1451992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Hello Tomcat, From one wannabee to another, I hope your move to The Villages is as smooth and stress-free as possible and that you find a home that you and your husband are happy in. Happy house hunting! [/QUOTE

Well hello Schaumburget. Yes trying to make that move. Just retired. My coworkers were upset with it because I left very fast with an early buyout. You do not get a lot of time. My job was somewhat stressful and busy. Felt very bad. Taking it step by step. Sometimes I think I should go back and work a few more years just for them. 😔
Tomcat, I have heard it said that most people on their deathbed don't say "I wish I had spent more time at the office." I still work full-time, and although I like my job (most days) and most of my coworkers, I certainly won't miss it when I decide to take the leap and leave...it won't be this year or probably next year, but after that who knows? My only tie to the Midwest is the need to be within a reasonable distance of where my dad lives in case of an emergency.

So breathe in and breathe out. Think of the snow you won't missing shoveling, and the fact that you won't need to wear a heavy coat, gloves and boots in January once you move to TV.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
See all the good info you got. I miss Christmas Eve with our Grandchildren but there are only so many days we have to live and I'm not living mine for that. The kids are so busy with school, sports, friends, Thankfully they have a good little life going for themselves. Skype is a wonderful thing.

In my opinion if any move is for a Geographical Cure it won't work. Relax and enjoy the experience. All the hardships you face getting here are soon forgotten. You have made some great contacts on your thread. Good Job Already!
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

I always ask myself in any new situation, "What's the worst thing that can happen?". In this case, the answer would be that you don't like it, you sell your Villages house and you move back to where you came from, or to somewhere new. Another choice would be to start working again, but from your Villages location. Life is full of choices. I hope I am never too afraid to "go for it"!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are not a Canadian? Isn't your avatar a Mountie?

The Villages Florida
Old 09-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
I always ask myself in any new situation, "What's the worst thing that can happen?". In this case, the answer would be that you don't like it, you sell your Villages house and you move back to where you came from, or to somewhere new. Another choice would be to start working again, but from your Villages location. Life is full of choices. I hope I am never too afraid to "go for it"!
Message me if you want my feelings on my first summer. What is the worst that could happen? Irma? I stuck it out for the summer. It isn't easy to sell a house and buy another one at the same time (if it was, I may think of another place). There is a lot of good here. Summer isn't one. Newer homes are nice (don't get a small garage). Service people are hit/miss but there is a lot of miss so be careful. If you could move The Villages somewhere without lightning and without hurricanes it would be okay. You get used to the heat. However if you do not wear sunscreen (me) you will get a farmer's tan.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post

You know, make sure to give it a while to settle in. You will have to make new friends, learn to live in a different climate, pick up some new interests. This all takes time. You may not be able to just jump in running and never look back. Our lives here are so different now than they were when we first got here. We are "sort of" introverts in that we don't jump into all the neighborhood stuff imediately but prefer to make friends accidentally.

We've been here five years now. The first year there were constant changes vis-a-vis people, places, hobbies. It took us a bit to settle in, but that first winter when it was 80 degrees most days sealed it.

I'm just saying it might take a bit of time, so don't panic if everything is not peaches and cream right from the get-go.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We are "sort of" introverts in that we don't jump into all the neighborhood stuff imediately but prefer to make friends accidentally.
It is a friendly community, however I agree that it takes some time to get to know your neighbors well, experiment with various clubs, decide on your interests, make good friends, and learn how to play mahjong and golf.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

The Villages Florida
Here's a Full view of "Dudley-Do-Right" ...........

The Villages Florida
Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
It is a friendly community, however I agree that it takes some time to get to know your neighbors well, experiment with various clubs, decide on your interests, make good friends, and learn how to play mahjong and golf.
You were one of my happy accidents.

Tags
state, happen, snowbirds, permanent, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.