Sinkhole in Buttonwood?

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Default Sinkhole in Buttonwood?

Just wondering.....hubby was golfing at Redfish....3rd or 4th hole. Looked like a house was being shored up. His golf partner said that it was a sinkhole being filled? Any info on this?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM

Could it have been this one?

Sinkhole near Cane Garden
Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach232 View Post
Just wondering.....hubby was golfing at Redfish....3rd or 4th hole. Looked like a house was being shored up. His golf partner said that it was a sinkhole being filled? Any info on this?
We played Redfish on Wednesday and a gentleman that we were paired with told us that there was a sinkhole and that the estimated cost to fill the hole was about $200,000.

This is just hearsay and I have no way to confirm that what he said was true...
Old 05-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Location: Originally from PA, lived in South Jersey & presently in VA
Default worse case scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
We played Redfish on Wednesday and a gentleman that we were paired with told us that there was a sinkhole and that the estimated cost to fill the hole was about $200,000.

This is just hearsay and I have no way to confirm that what he said was true...
Let's just say that it's true. It is my understanding that the Insurance companies are no longer writing sink hole insurance in Florida. If this is the case, and you buy a new home without the sink hole insurance - then I would assume you would be liable to have the sink hole fixed on your own.

What if you did not have the 200 grand (or even half of that amount) available, so you could have the hole filled??? Then what??? I feel certain that the developer would not be happy w/a sink hole left unfixed for all to see. It presents real problems and unanswered questions for me and I am sure for others as well.

Does anyone on the list have some factual information in such a case? We have some very well informed members & I am hoping they have answers to this worse case scenario.

Betty
Old 05-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulence View Post
Let's just say that it's true. It is my understanding that the Insurance companies are no longer writing sink hole insurance in Florida. If this is the case, and you buy a new home without the sink hole insurance - then I would assume you would be liable to have the sink hole fixed on your own.

What if you did not have the 200 grand (or even half of that amount) available, so you could have the hole filled??? Then what??? I feel certain that the developer would not be happy w/a sink hole left unfixed for all to see. It presents real problems and unanswered questions for me and I am sure for others as well.

Does anyone on the list have some factual information in such a case? We have some very well informed members & I am hoping they have answers to this worse case scenario.

Betty
Info here;

The Saga of Sinkhole Insurance in Florida - Law Firm Williams Law Association, P.A. Attorneys Tampa, Florida

and here;
Sinkholes become Florida's latest insurance disaster - Tampa Bay Times

If you need more Google sinkholes florida.

Or to get the straight answer call;
The Villages Insurance
352-751-6622
1-866-556-0706
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Sage

I played Redfish Run today (Thursday) and did not any sign of a sinkhole being filled in or construction equipment. I don't understand where the problem was.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Cane Garden was not a sinkhole but catastrophic ground collapse which is covered under homeowners insurance.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Veteran member
Default Sink hole coverage

if you have a sink hole, you better hope the house is condemed - then it is covered - as the previous reply said.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Betty
Actually Betty, I think you’ve asked a very interesting question. A sinkhole opens up in the front yard. It doesn’t qualify as catastrophic ground collapse because the house isn’t involved and is habitable. The homeowner doesn’t have sinkhole insurance or the money to fix the sinkhole, yet they can still live in the house. So...now what?

Edited to add: While I agree that we have many well informed board members, I doubt anyone (other than a lawyer) would be able to answer that question. But it is an interesting thing to consider.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Actually Betty, I think you’ve asked a very interesting question. A sinkhole opens up in the front yard. It doesn’t qualify as catastrophic ground collapse because the house isn’t involved and is habitable. The homeowner doesn’t have sinkhole insurance or the money to fix the sinkhole, yet they can still live in the house. So...now what?

Edited to add: While I agree that we have many well informed board members, I doubt anyone (other than a lawyer) would be able to answer that question. But it is an interesting thing to consider.

Skybo, the following link is an excellent example of what you have just described & what I was trying to convery in my original message. This link was recently given in the Non Village Discussion thread & I hope the original poster does not mind my using it here:

Massive sinkhole opens up behind Windermere home

Homeowners nervously watching sinkhole behind Windermere home

They are calling this a sinkhole and since the home is not invloved (at least so far) I expect it would not be covered by the catastrophic ground collapse inclusion in an insurance policy. They say that sinkhole is now 100 X 100 and 50 feet deep & growing. Who could afford to fill that!

Betty
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Who could afford to fill that!
No one could. And you are right...it is something to be concerned about if you choose to buy a home in Florida. I currently have sinkhole insurance (at an affordable rate). It’s possible, perhaps even likely, that my insurance company will cancel my sinkhole insurance at some point. And then I’ll have to decide if I can afford to pay for an expensive rider on my policy (which are available) or if I’ll take my chances.

But my point was...your question was interesting as far as what would happen in The Villages...if a sinkhole developed and the homeowner couldn’t fix it, but could still live in the home. I'm guessing a huge hole in the front yard is against the deed restrictions. I'm not trying to be flippant about the topic, but I’m just wondering what would happen.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I played Redfish Run today (Thursday) and did not any sign of a sinkhole being filled in or construction equipment. I don't understand where the problem was.
Played Redfish Run today...looked for it...didn't see it.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
No one could. And you are right...it is something to be concerned about if you choose to buy a home in Florida. I currently have sinkhole insurance (at an affordable rate). It’s possible, perhaps even likely, that my insurance company will cancel my sinkhole insurance at some point. And then I’ll have to decide if I can afford to pay for an expensive rider on my policy (which are available) or if I’ll take my chances.

But my point was...your question was interesting as far as what would happen in The Villages...if a sinkhole developed and the homeowner couldn’t fix it, but could still live in the home. I'm guessing a huge hole in the front yard is against the deed restrictions. I'm not trying to be flippant about the topic, but I’m just wondering what would happen.
Your point is well taken and I am wondering the same thing.

Betty
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

My insurance went up over $200 this year
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Gold member
Default Sinkhole on Buttonwood Run

It IS a sinkhole, cement trucks have been there for many days on end. The house in on a curve on Buttonwood Run. That corner was hazardous to begin with (drivers taking the easy way around the bend) Buttonwood Run is now even more of a challenge as the Contractor vehicals and cement trucks parked in front of the house have made it a one lane bend. There are no details, as everyone is very tight lipped about it, but this is the second "event" at the same house......
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.