The answer to why villagers on average move three times..

Old 03-22-2024, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,519 Times in 3,108 Posts

I'm happy with my neighborhood. If I won or inherited enough money to afford a multi-million-dollar home, I'd probably just tear down this double-wide and roll in an updated model, maybe a tiny bit bigger, and replace the old golf car garage and laundry shed with something more functional. But I wouldn't move. This is too nice an area to want to leave.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

We lived in a cyv by a square. Once airbnb arrived, neighbors starting renting their homes or sold them to investors. After 3 years, we grew tired of this and moved. We love our new home and have no plans on moving. We are blessed to be living in a neighborhood full of wonderful people.

Life changes is probably the reason most move. Second, the size of the home is not efficient for their lifestyle. Either too large with lots of maintenance or too small to entertain. Most realize even if you make a profit on your home, the next home you purchase will cost more. So, the MAJORITY stay put.

Realtors often tell buyers that residents move often to hook them into buying. "Don't worry! If you don't like it, you can always move. In fact most Villagers move three times!" is their favorite line. Every buyer has heard it. Makes me wonder if they are trained to repeat the same sales pitch to all.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 03-22-2024 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
My guess...

1st house: Let's not spend too much, buy a small house, see if we like it.
2nd house: Love it here, let's buy hour dream home with a pool.
3rd house: We don't need this much space, we never use the pool. Let's downsize.

Yep we are on house number 4… 1 small to see if we liked it we were snowbirds. 2 A larger house but it backed up to Powell Rd which got crazy busy. 3 A 4 br with a pool and spa. The pool was expensive and not used all that much and we made a ton of money on the sale. 4 A 3 BR no pool but a large birdcage area and outdoor kitchen…. Perfect.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Realtors should have golden metal Award. Sure money maker award! Bingo! Opps I forgot one
We were LIVING THE DREAM Selling our third home, because we needed to make room for parents, who can no longer remember who we are, or where they were 20 minutes ago. Then again we have been in TV since 2007, so 4 houses in 17 years is definitely at slow pace.

You are forgetting One can choose to sell by owner is always a good option. Then again according to our financial advisor and tax accountant, unbelievable income profit every 2-4 years, surpassing stocks, investments, and retirement accounts, is a bonus.

Some create great income, who sell every 2-3 years buy new home and live extremely well on profits, with or without realtor. We know of 7 couples who have moved 4-9 times, always to the next new neighborhood. Then again they are younger age bracket.

Many of the inspection guys keep count on their recurring customers, so far 16 homes is their best customer this year. So we are way down the list for that gold cup honor you so speak of. Unless it the award for taking on parenting of parents

Last edited by asianthree; 03-22-2024 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:32 PM
Platinum member

In 42 years of marriage we’ve only lived in 4 houses.
So the idea of ever moving from our current Villages house is low.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
After nearly 5 years of living the Village Lifestyle on TOTV ... you should have figure out by now, where and what you should buy.
If you read OPs tread he hasn’t bought a house yet, 5 years reading looking to buy first house.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
After nearly 5 years of living the Village Lifestyle on TOTV ... you should have figure out by now, where and what you should buy.
Wow! Rather strong with your unnecessary criticism………….
Old 03-22-2024, 07:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
If you read OPs tread he hasn’t bought a house yet, 5 years reading looking to buy first house.
The reason for my post. After 5 years, I would think the poster would have it figured out by now.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Wow! Rather strong with your unnecessary criticism………….
I fail to see the "criticism".

Merely an observation of the facts.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
The reason for my post. After 5 years, I would think the poster would have it figured out by now.
Sure 5 years of reading posts would make anyone blindly figure out where to live with little experience boots in.

Then again OP was asking a question of something he heard, and their experience.

Those who have moved more than once have given their experience.
You have been here since 2021, with all those years of experience, Maybe you could include how many times you have moved, and was it for bigger smaller garage or location. That would help answer OPs question.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
IMHO foolish to buy without renting for at least a month giving yourself time to explore.
Many people in my neighborhood were still 1-3 years from retirement when they bought so wouldn't have the luxury to take a full month off from work. Also when we were looking in our Village as it was being built, there were about 10 people trying to buy each house. If I waited a month, I would've ended up in a different location than we wanted.

I bought after spending a week and don't regret it. There's not really a scenario that I can think of that another 3 weeks would've changed my mind one way or another. One thing that I have to say about The Villages is that what you see is what you get for the most part.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

I guess as a child I moved a lot. My dad was wanted by the Communist party, we were on the run. Every time you move, you leave people behind. You leave friends, relatives, schoolmates (when you are young). You start over again, it is not fun. The amount of money one makes in a move may be substantial but when you have enough, it no longer means much. It’s the quality of life, not the quality of the house that makes most people happy.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I guess as a child I moved a lot. My dad was wanted by the Communist party, we were on the run. Every time you move, you leave people behind. You leave friends, relatives, schoolmates (when you are young). You start over again, it is not fun. The amount of money one makes in a move may be substantial but when you have enough, it no longer means much. It’s the quality of life, not the quality of the house that makes most people happy.
That is so true.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

They move three times because they make quick emotional decisions.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I think it is because people move here without throughly investigate the place and after awhile decide to move to another area.

IMHO foolish to buy without renting for at least a month giving yourself time to explore.

From the folks we have met here very few are in their third home, mostly first or second.
I agree. I rented in 2 different areas before I bought.

Tags
times, villagers, average, move, answer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.