Ants?

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire
Default Ants?

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this...if not, so sorry. I have just discover tiny back ants in one cabinet of my kitchen. Any ideas on how to handle this? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum member

The Villages Florida
Suffering from TV envy
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I assume you have a "bug" service in your home here. If you do not you are vulnerable to more than just ants.

But if you have a service, contact them. We had a round of what are called ghost ants...they are so small you can hardly see them. It takes not only killing the ones that can be seen but also getting back to the nest to kill the colony, hence some baiting is required.

Call your bug man to be sure...get one if you don't have one.

btk
Old 05-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

I did have a bug guy. But since we are not here all the time, I just noticed that we didn't receive our quarterly bill from him. I will have to contact him and see if he is still debugging us. Thanks for all the information.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsl1998 View Post
I did have a bug guy. But since we are not here all the time, I just noticed that we didn't receive our quarterly bill from him. I will have to contact him and see if he is still debugging us. Thanks for all the information.
We have had some Ittybitty ants twice on our return and they were in each bathroom. The bug woman came and put down little traps and they carried the yummy poison back to their home and now I am responsible for millions of deaths.

Oh my.

I don't like ants. Uncles are alright.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

We use "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth" better known as DE. You can sprinkle this dust in your garden, yard, home, and it is very safe. Not poisonous to humans or animals. In fact, some people eat it and feed it to their pets. It is fossilized remains of itty bitty creatures, and when ants, palmetto bugs, termites, ants, bed bugs, etc. walk over it, it cuts their outer shell and they dry out and die. Be sure to use Food Grade, not the kind that is filter grade for swimming pools as that kind is toxic.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Eternal Member

I just went throught this. It took two visits from Terminex but they are now GONE.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We have had some Ittybitty ants twice on our return and they were in each bathroom. The bug woman came and put down little traps and they carried the yummy poison back to their home and now I am responsible for millions of deaths.

Oh my.

I don't like ants. Uncles are alright.

The ant traps are not expensive.
Paying for 20000 tiny funerals gets kind of pricey.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If the ants are in a cabinet with food and you're hesitant to use a bug killer, use talcum powder (yes, the kind for a baby's bottom). Sprinkle it liberally around the seams and you'll be amazed how well this works. When done (works within 24 hrs), just use the vac attachment and get rid of the powder.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 AM

Ghost ants are a pain but easily exterminated by studying their movement for a few minutes to see where they are coming from. You will quickly see a line of marching soldiers coming and going on a straight path. Once you find their entrance and exit points you will know where to place liquid bait traps which are very effective (purchase at Lowe's...are inexpensive). Place the traps near their travel line and at the point of entrance and they will take the bait back to the nest and kill the colony. I was told by an exterminator at a seminar years ago to NOT kill them as they actually are very intelligent and each evening when they return home, they do a headcount and if soldiers are missing, they will find another path to travel in your home. After 24-48 hours, they will be gone and then I spray the entrance points with insecticide to prevent future infestation. I have lived in 3 homes in TV and each has had one brief episode with ghost ants, and they have not reappeared.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Gold member
Default Terro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsl1998 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this...if not, so sorry. I have just discover tiny back ants in one cabinet of my kitchen. Any ideas on how to handle this? Thanks in advance.
Yes, we just had the same problem, for the first time in several years. Tried several baits, but Terro brand (which is merely a borax solution in some kind of attracting liquid and thus relatively safe, as well as being cheap) worked like a charm. Put a few drops on a small piece of cardboard. One ant finds it, takes some back to the nest, invites all his friends to the punch bowl, and after a few days-- no more ants.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM

K9 Lover - where did you get your Food Grade DE. I have used this in the past for my garden and also other things. I got mine for the company that mines it - but - I have run out of it.

Where did you get the Food Grade DE.

THanks,
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I ordered mine through Amazon, just to be on the safe side. It came from a company called Nature's Wisdom. Amazon also carries the brand Perma-Guard, which I think is the originator.

You can't find Food Grade DE here, even as far as Orlando. Hate to pay the shipping, but hate poisonous chemicals even worse.

Plus, we and our pets take it as a supplement and enjoy the health benefits, and well as not having pests in our garden, yard and household.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.