Any Ideas On what to do

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Default Mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
There was a mistake made and outcome is pending. I'll let everyone know as soon as I do. My sales rep is working on it.
How far do they need to move that TRANSFORMER so they have the proper distance for the easement?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
How confident are you that the house is built in the correct place? Something seems very wrong in regards to the right-of-way and where your house is located. It would seem to be encroaching on the right-of-way. The photo shows your sod. I assume that is your property line. The boxes would normally be put there, but the house is very close to the right-of-way where you aren't allowed to build. I don't know what you would be able to do now. I hate it for you.
I thought something similar. The utility box looks from the photo as if it is in the right place at the edge of the property; but that the house looks as if it does not meet "normal" setback requirements. I don't know what Sumpter County's setback requirements are. I'm used to requirements that buildings be no closer than 35 feet from the edge of the property line.

Penquin, is your home within 35 feet of the back and/or side of your lot? It looks that way from the photo, but maybe due to other construction, they just haven't completed putting in the sod.

It seems that it would be at least worth a call find out why the utility box is closer to your home than shown on the platt.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I thought something similar. The utility box looks from the photo as if it is in the right place at the edge of the property; but that the house looks as if it does not meet "normal" setback requirements. I don't know what Sumpter County's setback requirements are. I'm used to requirements that buildings be no closer than 35 feet from the edge of the property line.

Penquin, is your home within 35 feet of the back and/or side of your lot? It looks that way from the photo, but maybe due to other construction, they just haven't completed putting in the sod.

It seems that it would be at least worth a call find out why the utility box is closer to your home than shown on the platt.
There was a mistake. The Transformer box is supposed to be in the property behind him. From what he is saying, they are going to move the door and plant around the box to make it look nice.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Sage

Yes, I see now that a mistake was made. I posted my previous response before I saw that.

Hurray that a mistake has been acknowledged! Good for you Penquin for pursuing it. More fingers crossed for a happy ending, which does seem to be in the offing. Please let us know.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Founder

Hi folks, remember me? I stop by the forum from time to time and read what you folks are up to.

I want to post a personal experience here. We too had a green box in our back yard and we too planted nice plants around it. In short order, the plants had blocked the box from our view.

Then, a lightening storm blew a couple of fuses in the box and the electric company came to replace them. The first thing the crew did was chop down our plants....TO THE GROUND.

After their work was done, they came to the house and informed us that we cannot put shrubs around the box, thus blocking access to the electric box. It is their easement and we have no right to plant there, and they have to have immediate access to the equipment.

Something to think about. See you all some time in the future.

JLK
Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Sage

Who's this Talk Host fellow?

Hey - - - welcome back!

Bill
Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Sage

I Remember You

Thanks for starting this wonderful site.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
After their work was done, they came to the house and informed us that we cannot put shrubs around the box, thus blocking access to the electric box. It is their easement and we have no right to plant there,
They might have that right to forbid planting if it were a 'right of way' but an easement is different and it sounds like they pushed their authority some. I've got about 40 years experience in real estate and have a paralegal certificate along with some other experience in these areas.
I would carefully read the property restrictions on this issue. If it clearly says so, then OK, but their easement doesn't cover everything in your yard so there has to be a mentioned distance that you can't plant within. Most restrictions only allow them reasonable access and that could leave a lot of gray area for interpretation. The key issue would be how far from it can you plant around it.
In reality, they're different!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
They might have that right to forbid planting if it were a 'right of way' but an easement is different and it sounds like they pushed their authority some. I've got about 40 years experience in real estate and have a paralegal certificate along with some other experience in these areas.
I would carefully read the property restrictions on this issue. If it clearly says so, then OK, but their easement doesn't cover everything in your yard so there has to be a mentioned distance that you can't plant within. Most restrictions only allow them reasonable access and that could leave a lot of gray area for interpretation. The key issue would be how far from it can you plant around it.

This information notwithstanding, it is still a good idea to have some solid information before you plant. Our bushes were blocking their reasonable access, so they cut them down.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Default What's the LATEST on the TRANSFORMER?

The fourth reply by BILL-N-BRILLO gave you the planting requirements from SECO!

Penguin, sorry to hear about that.

Re: any plantings - Refer to the following parameters from SECO:

http://www.secoenergy.com/planting.html

Bill

Minimum of 3' on the sides and 10' in the front. Since Penguin only has 4' to the house I don't see how anything will work. What is the latest with the TRANSFORMER Penguin? When will they be moving the TRANSFORMER?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 PM

Hi everyone, first let me thank all of you who showed your support for me on this issue. I spoke with my sales rep today and she said that after speaking with her manager ( whoever that is ) that he said the map the electric company uses placed the transformer in the correct spot. My reply was that I was never made aware in any of the documents provided to me, that the transformer was to be placed there. She agreed but said the best that can be done is to move the door and concrete pad to the opposite side of the lanai. She also said that was suprised that someone let this issue get to this point without saying anything. In other words someone knew something was'nt right. She also said that from now on she was going to be very specific letting her future customers know everything about the lots they choose. Bothers me that it wil be at my expense. And now after reading the posts of not being able to plant around the transformer, I"m at my wits end. I'm really trying to remain calm and optomistic but there's got to be something that can be done, unfortunatly I dont know what it is. I'm sorry but I really feel like I've been misled and am very disappointed with The Villages in general. My sales rep did offer to pay for this herself, bless her heart, but I said that was'nt necessary. So I'm still thankful and hoping for the best.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Sage

I'm actually at a loss for words. IMHO, TV should have taken care of this for you in some way....not at your expense. Sorry to hear things haven't gone so good. You can only move on from here and enjoy what you have! Best of luck and thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Sage

Penguin, here's something to consider/check out:

I went back and looked more closely at the photo of the transformer in your original post. It looks as though, based on the positioning of the hinges on the top, the access door will be on the side of the box facing your lanai. Also, it appears as thought the box is mostly offset from being fully behind the lanai.......but not totally.

If SECO really sticks by their guns regarding the clearances they need for adequate access to the transformer (see post #4 of this thread - which shows 10 ft. minimum clearance to the pad), then they should have an issue with the placement.

Personally, I'd continue to pursue it further.

Bill
Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Default Can you spell LAWYER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Hi everyone, first let me thank all of you who showed your support for me on this issue. I spoke with my sales rep today and she said that after speaking with her manager ( whoever that is ) that he said the map the electric company uses placed the transformer in the correct spot. My reply was that I was never made aware in any of the documents provided to me, that the transformer was to be placed there. She agreed but said the best that can be done is to move the door and concrete pad to the opposite side of the lanai. She also said that was suprised that someone let this issue get to this point without saying anything. In other words someone knew something was'nt right. She also said that from now on she was going to be very specific letting her future customers know everything about the lots they choose. Bothers me that it wil be at my expense. And now after reading the posts of not being able to plant around the transformer, I"m at my wits end. I'm really trying to remain calm and optomistic but there's got to be something that can be done, unfortunatly I dont know what it is. I'm sorry but I really feel like I've been misled and am very disappointed with The Villages in general. My sales rep did offer to pay for this herself, bless her heart, but I said that was'nt necessary. So I'm still thankful and hoping for the best.
Penguin, you need legal representation that is looking out for YOUR interest. You got five working days before closing to straighten out this mess. No more MR. NICEGUY, get a LAWYER and get out of this situation. There is plenty more houses to be build in the VILLAGES. Someone on this WEBSITE needs to MANUP and help Penquin with a name of a LAWYER in the area. PENGUIN NEEDS YOUR HELP!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Veteran member

I feel sorry for Penguin. Unfortunately that box will always be there as a reminder of some of the not-too-perfect things that can go wrong in TV, and it will be there at resale time too; not the problem of the sales person or the developer.
It also demonstrates a strong reason to consider an existing home rather than being one of the first new ones on the block. In my opinion TV does a good job of hiding from a new buyer the closeness of the houses, intrusion of the utility boxes, rec center noises, etc. It seems to me that over the years the model centers are usually built around larger lots and cul-de-sacs with open lots sprinkled within for "parking", lots near rec centers are sold first before the tennis and pickleball courts startup (noise), and traffic in the parking lots becomes heavy, or the new house backs up to what becomes a heavily traveled street, utility boxes don't look that big in the wide open spaces, and the sewage treatment plant has not started to operate, etc, etc. Many of the spec houses built in a neighborhood are placed on staggered lots so there appears to be room on the sides and back when you are walking on empty lots. It is amazing how close 10 foot lot line setbacks become once you have neighbors on all sides and becomes even smaller when the neighbors plant big, tall, bushy privacy hedges along the lot lines or the neighbor's little dog starts yapping all the time.
I fully recognize the pros and cons of new vs resale, but it hurts to see many newbees rush into a three or four day decision without a whole lot of serious investigation, experience and vision. I am sure a goodly number of our Villagers' second purchases are to correct mistakes after they see what they should have seen the first time!
I have no problem with the fact that the sales people owe their employment, heart and well-being to the developer. Buyers must always keep that in mind. Sales people are judged on the volume and dollar amount of closings, live by their commissions and march to the developer's directions. They are here to put the developer's interests first, and if they don't they aren't here. That's capitalisim, Americanism, or whatever. I love it, it works and has given us a great place to live out our days, but the buyer should always be aware of the "home field" rules.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.