Any Makerspace group w/laser cutting locally?

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2023, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Any Makerspace group w/laser cutting locally?

Looking to get a small piece of 1/16 Plexiglass cut into a clean smooth approx 9" circle which is not easy to do with any type of hand or table saw because it needs to be round and pretty close to perfect to recess into an object.

I was told this could be easily done with a laser cutter which can often be found at Makerspace groups which also have 3D printers and other techie stuff. There is a big Makerspace group in Orlando but would prefer to stay local. I am told and was surprised to find even some libraries in major cities have 3D printers and laser cutters but highly unlikely here.

Anyone know of a club or local Makerspace group that has a laser cutter? Just for a thin piece of plexiglass.

TIA
Ed
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I have had some success with my band saw, water as a lubricant and cutting slowly, followed with sanding with very fine sandpaper, and finally a coating of a clear sealer.

Let me know if interested, we can discuss.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:52 PM

Check with whichever sign companies are closest to you - many of them now have laser cutting capability, and they should be able to do that for you in just a few minutes (depending on their current workload). One possible snag - many of them have a minimum $ order, so it may not be cost effective for you. Another possibility would be trophy shops.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:16 PM

Do it the easy way. Amazon is your friend:
2 pieces. 9 inch circle. 1/16 inch thick plexiglass
$8

Click the link below:

Amazon.com
Old 03-25-2023, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
$8

Click the link below:

Amazon.com
now why didn't i think of that.... Great suggestion.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have had some success with my band saw, water as a lubricant and cutting slowly, followed with sanding with very fine sandpaper, and finally a coating of a clear sealer.

Let me know if interested, we can discuss.
As always your offer is greatly appreciated. and I thank you. I think the size and tolerances are too great where a saw as careful as one may be MIGHT not work vs. the accuracy of a laser. I REALLY has to be round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma318 View Post
Check with whichever sign companies are closest to you - many of them now have laser cutting capability, and they should be able to do that for you in just a few minutes (depending on their current workload). One possible snag - many of them have a minimum $ order, so it may not be cost effective for you. Another possibility would be trophy shops.
Good thought but I think I found a "volunteer" group in Orlando I can mail the small piece to who can help vs. a commercial outfit. I once needed a small part 3-D printed which I had the STL file (printer data) for and went to a commercial outfit who wanted like $40 minimum then found a guy on Etsy I have since used a few times who did it for $5 + shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
$8

Click the link below:

Amazon.com
As the silly local TV commercial goes: "almost perfect, almost perfect, almost perfect". I had seen that but need a bit less than 9" (like 8 9/16") with barely any tolerance on the + side 9" would have sadly been a bit too big as it has to recess into the item and also I need it in black. . I did order a 12x12x3/16 black piece of plexiglass from Amazon. They are quite often "my friend" !
Old 03-26-2023, 06:59 AM

PM me, I think I can help you
Old 03-26-2023, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodguy View Post
PM me, I think I can help you
Thank you kindly but I found someone with a laser cutter to accomplish what I need.

Ed

@MODS. Topic may be closed. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Looking to get a small piece of 1/16 Plexiglass cut into a clean smooth approx 9" circle which is not easy to do with any type of hand or table saw because it needs to be round and pretty close to perfect to recess into an object.

I was told this could be easily done with a laser cutter which can often be found at Makerspace groups which also have 3D printers and other techie stuff. There is a big Makerspace group in Orlando but would prefer to stay local. I am told and was surprised to find even some libraries in major cities have 3D printers and laser cutters but highly unlikely here.

Anyone know of a club or local Makerspace group that has a laser cutter? Just for a thin piece of plexiglass.

TIA
Ed
It's actually easy with a bandsaw using a fine blade and a homemade jig rotating the plastic on a nail in wood clamped on the saw. The distance of the nail from the blade is the radius of your circle. Drill a hole in the plastic to allow a 4p nail to pass through. Buff after sanding for a perfect finish.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Why don't you just buy a cut one on Amazon?

Tags
makerspace, laser, group, local, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.