Any one heard of Contra Dancing??

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Location: Village of Hemmingway, permanant....from St. Louis, Missouri
Default Any one heard of Contra Dancing??

Hi, we moved down from St Louis area about a month ago and I love all the choices of dancing here. I have always danced swing, CW couples, line dance even clogging some.
However with as many people here from all over, is there anyone other than me who has been Contra dancing? It's so much fun, very simple to learn (look it up on the Internet if you don't know what it is). It would go so good here if we could just get it started.
You have a live string band, ( which there are people in TV that do that, and it's a very social type of dance. You don't need to know how it's taught with each dance. If anyone is interested please respond or call 352-561-4188 Maybe we could get it started. Wynn
Old 09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Platinum member
Default Contra-Dancing

Contra-Dancing is the BEST! You don't need to bring a partner, it is so much fun, and excellent exercise. Unfortunately I am still a wannabee, but if they have it when I get there, I will become part of it for sure!!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnshanks View Post
Hi, we moved down from St Louis area about a month ago and I love all the choices of dancing here. I have always danced swing, CW couples, line dance even clogging some.
However with as many people here from all over, is there anyone other than me who has been Contra dancing? It's so much fun, very simple to learn (look it up on the Internet if you don't know what it is). It would go so good here if we could just get it started.
You have a live string band, ( which there are people in TV that do that, and it's a very social type of dance. You don't need to know how it's taught with each dance. If anyone is interested please respond or call 352-561-4188 Maybe we could get it started. Wynn
Just U-tubed it. Never heard of it...looks similar to square dancing. Also looks like fun. Would like to join in...won't be moving down until January. Keep us posted!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Platinum member

we went to a few Contra dances in Casselberry (just northof Orlando) when we lived in Winter Springs......I would love to join a Contra daancing group! I am thinking of trying the cloggers, or at least watch them until I get up the nerve!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Platinum member

i will watch this space to see if you get some interest in contra dance! Connie
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM

I have done contra dancing, as well as ceileigh dancing and scottish dancing (not to mention Balkan, Greek and Hungarian). There is a scottish group dancing here, which is similar to contra dancing. It is similar to square dancing -- it was actually the precursor to square dancing and is what square dancing is based on, with a caller, etc.

It would take some energy, but I think there must be folks (from New England in particular) who have done it. We're coming back to TV next week for 8 months. I'll be watching this space too, to see if there's interest.

My only question is, don't you need a caller for contra dancing?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Location: Village of Hemmingway, permanant....from St. Louis, Missouri

Yes, I thought if enough were interested I'd contact some of the surrounding contra clubs to see if someone would be willing to help get us started.
The response so far is already more than I thought, altho' when you consider how many people (dance-lovers) are in The Villages I hoped there'd be a few of us and we could get lots of others hooked. Wish me luck! Wynn
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Count us in for Contra Dancing if & when. Like square dancing, but it got too "formalized".
Steve
Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod View Post
Count us in for Contra Dancing if & when. Like square dancing, but it got too "formalized".
Steve
I think it's kind of cute that someone who calls themselves "Clod" is very interested in dancing! But good for you - the more, the merrier!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.