Any Oscar-watch parties?

Old 03-04-2024, 11:28 AM
Default Any Oscar-watch parties?

My wife and I are arriving in a few days to close on our new home (!!!), only as snowflakes for a short while . This is quite a short visit and we're not setting up any live TV for it, just streaming (Roku device); none of our subscriptions include live TV. She looked around for any Villages-sponsored or -related Oscar events and didn't see any listed -- is anyone aware of anything happening? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:42 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tustin714 View Post
My wife and I are arriving in a few days to close on our new home (!!!), only as snowflakes for a short while . This is quite a short visit and we're not setting up any live TV for it, just streaming (Roku device); none of our subscriptions include live TV. She looked around for any Villages-sponsored or -related Oscar events and didn't see any listed -- is anyone aware of anything happening? Thanks.
You will find that most people here, including myself, have no interest in watching a bunch of pompous elitists give each other awards.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Most? Was there a poll?
Old 03-04-2024, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
You will find that most people here, including myself, have no interest in watching a bunch of pompous elitists give each other awards.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the Academy awards. I find lately it has nothing to do with talent. A true disappointment.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Time difference is the main factor.
The Villages close at 9pm.
All in bed by 9.05pm!
Old 03-04-2024, 12:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tustin714 View Post
If you haven't already, one of your first tasks will be to set up internet access for your new house. You might have Xfinity.

Ideally, someone who is watching the Oscars will invite you over after seeing this post, & or let us know of any Oscar events.

Otherwise, this link provides the answer to how to watch this year's Oscars:
Access Denied

It says it is free over the air, so perhaps one of those antennas? Not the elaborate kind, just the kind you can put on a tabletop. Maybe some living in the area will chime in if ABC comes in with good reception over the air, or we're back to Xfinity. The link also mentions a few streaming sites.

You also need a television, or a couple of tablets, or phones.

Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2024, 12:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
If you haven't already, one of your first tasks will be to set up internet access for your new house. You might have Xfinity.

Ideally, someone who is watching the Oscars will invite you over after seeing this post, & or let us know of any Oscar events.

Otherwise, this link provides the answer to how to watch this year's Oscars:
Access Denied

It says it is free over the air, so perhaps one of those antennas? Not the elaborate kind, just the kind you can put on a tabletop. Maybe some living in the area will chime in if ABC comes in with good reception over the air, or we're back to Xfinity. The link also mentions a few streaming sites.

You also need a television, or a couple of tablets, or phones.

Good Luck!

As usual the "Access Denied" still links to the appropriate site. So go ahead & click it anyway, if you are interested.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Oh, I thought you were talking about the Academy awards. I find lately it has nothing to do with talent. A true disappointment.
And we have not seen any of the movies that are up for awards. Do find it reaches new height in boredom so I have no interest in seeing it.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Since we have not gone to a movie in 8 years and never plan to go to a theatre again, we don't care about the current movies.

Ever since that wretched movie La La Land won an oscar, we don't care what any critics think.

At the present, we are very happy watching Blue Bloods and Castle re-runs and we are recording other TV shows we like. Life is very good for us.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

I'm not really into woke movies and entitlement awards.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

We’ll watch them better past time than complaining about golf course conditions.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I'm not really into woke movies and entitlement awards.
WOW! I never thought of Barbie as a woke movie.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

What the hell is woke anyway?
Old 03-04-2024, 04:40 PM

Original poster here: I get that many don't care about the Oscars or go see movies with too many messages (Dune is the type of movie I'll go to ), but it's been a tradition in the family for decades to watch and "bet" on the outcome (movie candy prize), and my wife wants to keep that going with the adult kids, even if we're not around; they like the tradition as well.

We will be setting up internet for streaming TV the day we arrive but do not plan to have a subscription/app/cable with live TV, hence the inquiry.

Thanks anyway for the responses.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Most? Was there a poll?
You must have missed it...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty

Tags
short, live, aware, streaming, roku

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.