Any Recent Experiences with Sumter County Jury Duty?

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2023, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,741 Times in 5,255 Posts

I have successfully evaded jury duty my entire life. I would be a terrible juror because I was involved in trials in my career, and I learned that almost everything said under oath is a lie. The lawyers lie and the witnesses lie. There is no accountability for people who lie under oath or for the lawyers who lie. The entire trial process is a scam, and the jurors are grossly underpaid and manipulated by everyone involved.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have successfully evaded jury duty my entire life. I would be a terrible juror because I was involved in trials in my career, and I learned that almost everything said under oath is a lie. The lawyers lie and the witnesses lie. There is no accountability for people who lie under oath or for the lawyers who lie. The entire trial process is a scam, and the jurors are grossly underpaid and manipulated by everyone involved.
Hmmm tell us how you really feel.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,741 Times in 5,255 Posts

///

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-02-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
No electronics devices rule probably has to due with too many people want to FaceTime with the grandkids at 125db more than trying to record the trial.
No. I was told it was because they don’t want people recording stuff and sharing it. I had to go back to my car to leave my Apple watch. 😡
Old 10-02-2023, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

I was excused because I am needed to care for elderly family members or a member.

Not sure which Summons this was though and when as I have had about 4 from Sumter County and one from the Federal Court in Ocala. I have been here in the Villages since 2005.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:08 AM

I went recently. They have magazines. I brought a word search book. They called 20 people right away then came back and called one more. Right before lunchtime they said they had their jury and we could leave. It was a boring few hours but not unbearable.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:40 AM

I'd like to make a comment on this thread that doesn't relate directly to the OP. I am a retired attorney who tried cases for over 40 years. I used to compliment those that came to be seated that jury duty was a special responsibility. The government is always finding ways to take your money but there are only two times that they require your services, the military and jury duty.
I used to have neighbors and friends ask me "how do I get out of jury duty?" and I'd tell them that they were the ones that i always wanted on juries but that too often they weren't there. In the jury pool I always found the unemployed, union workers who received their regular pay while sitting, and government workers. I seldom found the small business person, the professionals and homemakers.
The people I've met here in The Villages are educated, hard working, concerned citizens who would listen to evidence and apply the law and not be compelled by their own personal agendas. You are the type that might not like your verdict but you would render it because it is the right thing to do under the law.
So what I'm saying is, if you're physically able, and do not have any necessary time conflicts, please go and serve. Be part of a group of your fellow citizens and listen, learn and teach. Our village, our county, and our country will be better for your efforts.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
I'd like to make a comment on this thread that doesn't relate directly to the OP. I am a retired attorney who tried cases for over 40 years. I used to compliment those that came to be seated that jury duty was a special responsibility. The government is always finding ways to take your money but there are only two times that they require your services, the military and jury duty.
I used to have neighbors and friends ask me "how do I get out of jury duty?" and I'd tell them that they were the ones that i always wanted on juries but that too often they weren't there. In the jury pool I always found the unemployed, union workers who received their regular pay while sitting, and government workers. I seldom found the small business person, the professionals and homemakers.
The people I've met here in The Villages are educated, hard working, concerned citizens who would listen to evidence and apply the law and not be compelled by their own personal agendas. You are the type that might not like your verdict but you would render it because it is the right thing to do under the law.
So what I'm saying is, if you're physically able, and do not have any necessary time conflicts, please go and serve. Be part of a group of your fellow citizens and listen, learn and teach. Our village, our county, and our country will be better for your efforts.
Thank you for your post.
Old 10-03-2023, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalloy View Post
Well said, thanks for presenting that point of view!
Old 10-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
There were 300+ notices sent out when I went a year ago only 75 people showed up the rest were dismissed because of age or snowbird status, that's what we were told. It was the worst two days I have spent in a long time. Yes I was chosen for a trial I did not think the person was guilty because of a witness who actually said she lied. Yes the rest of the people wanted to go home after a few hours in a jury box they all turned on me for not going along because of their But but but What if's excuse they just wanted it over including the Judge after telling us to go back in the jury room and talk it over again. I was part of sending someone to jail that was not guilty because these Villagers (mostly) wanted to go home. I'm still traumatized from this experience. get out of it if you can!
So pointing the finger at other jurors who wanted to go home instead of looking in the mirror at yourself , maybe they did want to go home and actually thought the person was guilty , while you were sure he wasn’t and just gave in . Well your right about one thing I to would be traumatized if I gave in to other jurors and sent someone to prison because I felt uncomfortable

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 10-03-2023 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-03-2023, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

The Federal Jury that they had been seated with me on the panel had a vet tech, a retired CIA supervisor, two people from the Villages and 4 others. All were well spoken from what I heard. This was in 2009 or so. The case involved a cop writing his reports in Spanish which the other cops or some of them harassed him. Case was from Claremont.

The judge held for the City and PD. But he did scold the officers.

I had been bumped by the Judge because I was giving very short answers to questions which would have taken me days to answer truthfully. And I would have needed many documents to do so.

I was seated between two very attractive ladies so I wanted to stay on the jury and the case looked very interesting. The CIA retiree was made the foreman.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-03-2023 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribil View Post
If she got a letter from the court listing all the restrictions, why would you need somebody to confirm those? OK, I hearby confirm the restrictions.
Cool as beans bro! Thanks, but you are a day late and a dollar short and had you read the OP you could have saved all the time it took you to think up and provide that helpful answer! Oh, and also because the info on the SCC website was totally out of date by probably 2yrs and mostly incorrect.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I was once asked to serve on a jury in Ohio. The defendant's lawyer asked me if I knew anyone in the court room. I truthfully stated that I personally knew the judge, the prosecutor and the local sheriff. The questioning lasted for about 10 seconds more before being asked to leave. I really wanted to hear the case.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Well, the "ordeal" is over for her. They let everyone go at 1PM right after the 12pm-1pm lunch break. Other than having to get up at 6AM and driving about 50mins each way it was a waste of gas and time. She said they even had "entertainment". The 2 folks who were in charge of the (waiting not to be jurors) told "dad jokes" even though they were moms. Was hoping they would keep her until 5PM !! JUST KIDDING! After 56 years of marriage, we get along quite well.

Thanks to those who actually answered my original post and no thanks to those who thought **I** was trying to get out of Jury service and was complaining about hard seats (I never mentioned that and as I said in the OP it was my wife who WANTED to go.).
Thanks for the update. I wish everyone would remember to update us.
Closed Thread

Tags
jury, duty, devices, allowed, recent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.