Anyone have a doggie area within your birdcage?

Old 05-09-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
We are in a veranda and thinking we might move one of these years. Thinking we were limited to a veranda because of our dogs, but then got to wondering - if we were to buy a home with a small pool and a large enough yard, could the birdcage be expanded to include a grassy area for the dogs? Do people do this?
Don't know if you're dead set on having a grass, but I've also seen people create an area consisting of pea gravel/river stone. Less maintenance. There are products that attach to your hose for spraying the area to reduce odors.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:14 AM
Default Yes, we have an area cutout of the concrete in the corner of the birdcage, far away f

Yes, we have an area cutout of the concrete in the corner of the birdcage, opposite end from the table where we would eat. It is dug down about 12 inches. Pea gravel (small rocks) are put in first to allow rinsing down and out. Artificial turf is put on top for the dog to pee. We have a hose bib next to this area to wash it down, and wash down the concrete, if dog accidentally pees on this in the process. As for poop, we pick it up with a poop bag and have a small trash can by this area too, to put the poop in..... and then dispose of.
This area, for us is a triangle, about 4' x 4' x 8', I think.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
We are in a veranda and thinking we might move one of these years. Thinking we were limited to a veranda because of our dogs, but then got to wondering - if we were to buy a home with a small pool and a large enough yard, could the birdcage be expanded to include a grassy area for the dogs? Do people do this?

You can buy doggy potty mats that look like grass. People in apartments with balconies use them. Just hose it off.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:50 AM

I have an area with decorative stones in my birdcage for my dog, as well as a doggy door and it works great. Just hose down the stones regularly and pick up poop in bags for disposal. Easy and convenient.

Old 05-09-2024, 11:21 AM
Gold member

I think this is a great idea. If we ever have a hurricane, your dog will not have to wait for the worst to be over.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,479 Times in 2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvin View Post
It was not allowed in my district, zoning required the bird cage to have a finished floor meaning poured concrete or paver brick, gravel flooring or natural grass was not allowed & artificial turf was only allowed for use in a putting green.
So buy the dog a putter.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanshe View Post
You can buy doggy potty mats that look like grass. People in apartments with balconies use them. Just hose it off.
Must po the folks on floors under that balcony. 🤐🤨☹️

Old 05-09-2024, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
OP probably has a sheep dog!
Sheep might eat the grass. Eww!

Old 05-09-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I have seen a couple bird cages with a green area inside, but I don't know if it was grass that would need mowed or something like Astroturf.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,314 Times in 825 Posts

I've seen doggie areas with bird cages inside.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:35 PM

Push mower or grass shears. We have a small area and do it.

Old 05-09-2024, 04:54 PM
Default Artifical grass area in birdcage for dog.

Quote:
I am in the process of having an artificial grass area within my birdcage with drainage, irrigation and a hose.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,112 Times in 305 Posts

I just put a decorative fake iron fence outside the lanai door, in the corner next to the house. You can't see it from the street and my neighbors don't care, anyway. I think they like it better than their other neighbors who walk their dog three times a day so they can poop on their neighbor's lawns. I don't know if it's legal, and don't really care. I see lots of patios with some sort of low wall or fence around them. It's basically the same sort of deal.

It's only about 8 x 10, so I have to clean it out every couple of days. I can't imagine doing that from inside a birdcage. Besides, it was easy to teach my dog to go outside through a doggy door, and to not jump the little 3' fence. I can't imagine trying to teach a dog to only go in one spot in a room that must look like "inside" to a dog.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguerini View Post
Don't know if you're dead set on having a grass, but I've also seen people create an area consisting of pea gravel/river stone. Less maintenance. There are products that attach to your hose for spraying the area to reduce odors.
Yes, I would hate to live next door and smell pet residue when I was sitting on my lanai. Even daily hosing would likely build up some permanent stench if the same area is used over and over.

Tags
dogs, thinking, area, birdcage, veranda

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.