Looking For A Day Trip

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Default Looking For A Day Trip

We have been here for over two years and haven't felt the need to take any trips away from The Villages. We have been too busy. I think it's time for us to do a little exploring and see what's out there. Can anyone recommend any day trips that they have taken that have been really enjoying? Within a hundred miles or so. We have thought about doing the space center thing at Canaveral, and of course the beaches on the Gulf and Atlantic, but haven't done any of that yet. We have been to Homosassa Springs. Thanks
Old 08-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Looking For A Day Trip

Although I haven't been to the space center in years I'd have to reccomend it. I also like the Atlantic side versus the Gulf just because of the waves. Near Springhill has the mermaid show if you're into that plus a host of others. Busch Gardens.........

Steve
Old 08-18-2007, 06:37 AM

The Harry Leu Gardens in Orlando http://www.leugardens.org/
are absolutely fabulous - 50 acres of roses, magnolias, bamboo, and tons of really exotic plants, flowers and trees. We also took a kayak trip down the Weeki Wachee river. You rent the kayaks and just float downstream on this crystal clear river. You might see manatees, gators, or birds, especially if you go early in the morning. The kayak outfitter is located next to the Weeki Wachee Spring attraction on the corner of US 19 and Florida SR 50. The space center is also an interesting attraction. With the traffic, though, it takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get there. Have fun!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:07 AM

to many to list. tarpon springs to see how they harvest sponges and sample Greek pastries; st. augustine to taste florida history; beaches and coastal towns on both coasts can be explored for years. cyprus gardens for flower beds and "magnificent "banyan tree.
closer to home check exhibits at the ocala art museum. antique shopping in mt. dora.
shows at silver springs,hike ocala national forrest boat rides down st. john's river, mt. dora canal etc.
check out the travel section at our library, bookstore or stop by AAA travel. here in the villages for brochures galore and don't overlook sea world, universal and disney.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Platinum member

We have relatives in South Florida and the first thing they pointed out to us was how easy it would be to travel to Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC from TV. For them it takes almost 8 hours just to get to Jacksonville. So location-wise, you can't beat TV. Don't overlook Mt. Dora closer to home. It's a great place to spend a day.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Eternal Member

MOutn Dora - Homassas Springs. St Augustine

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:44 PM

If any of you have a craving for great fried clams you might try this for a road trip. The brother of the owner of Essex Sea Food located in Essex Massachusetts opened up Essex Sea Food in Pierson, FL. It's located at 1360W State Road 40. (386)-749-1557. It looks like less than a two-hour drive from The Villages. Not the best atmosphere but the clams are flown down once a week. I was there about six years ago, so do call first. Essex clams are the best. The clam chowder should be good also.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Can I recommend Cedar Key.
It's only an 89 mile (low traffic) drive. There is much to do on the island and the views are amazing.
Click here to visit their site.

Thanks
Steve
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.