Apartments or town homes could be part of massive Villages of Southern Oaks developme

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default Apartments or town homes could be part of massive Villages of Southern Oaks developme

Early this year, The Villages announced it would build 11,000 homes or more on 4,518 acres, mostly south of the Florida Turnpike, east of U.S. 301 and on both sides of County Road 468.

The amendment would permit construction of 26,590 homes, up 31 percent from the previous maximum total, on 8,059 acres, up more than 78 percent from the prior land area.

Non-residential uses, including commercial, would be cut about 45 percent to 925,000 square feet while governmental and office uses would be increased by 166 percent to 765,000 square feet.

More at another news site
Old 11-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Gold member

If apartments and condos come to the Villages then it's time to find another place to live. Crime is already on the rise.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

It's only a matter of time before that happens. There are already apartments on 466A, Sumter Grande I believe.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
If apartments and condos come to the Villages then it's time to find another place to live. Crime is already on the rise.
I don't think apts and condos lead to more crime, what the main news is the huge increase in density. The article got it wrong saying increase in 31% when its actually more like 200% increase. Also of note is decrease in commercial space.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
I don't think apts and condos lead to more crime, what the main news is the huge increase in density. The article got it wrong saying increase in 31% when its actually more like 200% increase. Also of note is decrease in commercial space.
There is a lot of commercial zone land on both sides of 468 and 301 that is not owned by TV, I would assume at this point those that own that land are sitting on a gold mine and I would guess that at some point Coleman will be getting on board for either residential or commercial.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
There is a lot of commercial zone land on both sides of 468 and 301 that is not owned by TV, I would assume at this point those that own that land are sitting on a gold mine and I would guess that at some point Coleman will be getting on board for either residential or commercial.
Could be but this is clearly a signal that The Villages development execs have decided they want to develop less commercial space rather than more. Brownwood may have given them a clue.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Gold member

Sumter Grande on 466A is an Independant Living facility, there is also an Assisted Living Facility and a Memory Care facility there. No apartments.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Platinum member

There are a few townhomes at Glenview CC, overlooking the driving range.

Also some townhomes at Spanish Springs
Old 11-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
It appears that Villages development execs might not agree that commercial development is a goldmine, as they would increase not decrease their plans. Perhaps Brownwood gave them a clue.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
It appears that Villages development execs might not agree that commercial development is a goldmine, as they would increase not decrease their plans. Perhaps Brownwood gave them a clue.
Gotta keep the Morse Air Force flying and the Morse yachts sailing!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Perhaps the owners of the land would not accept the offers. With 26,000 homes going up there sure as he-- will be a commercial area and if not 441/27 better start adding lanes now.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I am confused as to who owns what properties in the Southern Oaks development area that needs to be changed from over 55 to “just” senior living. While it would be helpful in the long run to have townhouses/ apartments for younger workers in our city, I am not sure how the sharing of amenities would be accomplished to be fair to all.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Perhaps the owners of the land would not accept the offers. With 26,000 homes going up there sure as he-- will be a commercial area and if not 441/27 better start adding lanes now.
The difference between leasing commercial property from The Villages vs independent owners can be considerable. So I am not disagreeing with you. Firm believer in "if they build it they will come"
Old 11-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default And Some Call This Paradise

The Villages of Lake-Sumter, Inc (TVLSI) (The Developer) has much control and influence in the tri-county area. As such developers, politicians, realtors, etc really don't care about managed growth and the affect it has on people. Its all greed.

This issue is the reason TVLSI pushed hard against the repeal of Sumter One. TVLSI wanted all 5 county commissioners in its back pocket and here we are

If the information the OP obtained is accurate this area is going to be so dense people will have to live in shifts to golf, shop etc.

The wide range of housing prices is also problematic

Too many residents on this forum had shown a mistaken fealty toward the developer, which is to say the least puzzling.

The simple truth is the developer took a way of life common to Florida and California and expanded on it.
and the developer did it as cheaply, transferring liabilities to others and reaping record breaking profits.

The Developer focused on how many housing units he could squeeze in an area.

And because of that fact bike and walking trails were ignored and multi-modal paths utilized.

As a consequence the MMP's resemble I-4, walkers looked distressed and annoyed and bottle necks appear everywhere. and some call this paradise..but I digress
Old 11-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

""The amendment also removes a stipulation that residents must be age 55 or over, but would require that the project is consistent with federal and Florida fair housing requirements for age-restricted communities.""

Juvenile Delinquents!
Closed Thread

Tags
percent, homes, square, feet, acres

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.