Application to cover concrete driveway

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2018, 05:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,627 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psa1000 View Post
I am not sure how those concrete applications work down here in the south but up north they chip off and water gets beneath them. I have seen this personally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Since we do not have the weather changes, and most driveways are done professionally, with proper maintenance I have seen driveways over 15 years old still look new. Not sure of the percentage of decorative driveways done here, but in our neighborhood it’s at least 75%
Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Since we do not have the weather changes, and most driveways are done professionally, with proper maintenance I have seen driveways over 15 years old still look new. Not sure of the percentage of decorative driveways done here, but in our neighborhood it’s at least 75%
Are you referring to concrete overlay application or stamped concrete? From what I'm understanding those are two different methods or am I incorrect about that?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Sage

I just looked it up to make sure....stamped concrete vs concrete overlay. There most certainly is a difference.

Stamped concrete requires a complete removal of the existing concrete and new concrete is put down. Then the top is stamped and colored.

Concrete overlay is a thin layer of concrete bonded to the existing concrete and then colored and stenciled to make the design.

The article I read about the differences in the two applications said the concrete overlay is good for low traffic areas, driveways not being one of them. This causes some concern. Those of you who have concrete overlay on your driveway.....what is your experience with the durability with car traffic on the overlay?

We will not be removing our existing concrete driveway and walk way so stamped concrete is not an option for us.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,627 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I just looked it up to make sure....stamped concrete vs concrete overlay. There most certainly is a difference.

Stamped concrete requires a complete removal of the existing concrete and new concrete is put down. Then the top is stamped and colored.

Concrete overlay is a thin layer of concrete bonded to the existing concrete and then colored and stenciled to make the design.

The article I read about the differences in the two applications said the concrete overlay is good for low traffic areas, driveways not being one of them. This causes some concern. Those of you who have concrete overlay on your driveway.....what is your experience with the durability with car traffic on the overlay?

We will not be removing our existing concrete driveway and walk way so stamped concrete is not an option for us.
I will have to look up the company that did our drive. The previous owner had it done on 2010. Ours looks like brick, and mortar. Brick look is raised. Previous owner did not do any maintenance. At the garage a 8” by 3” had chipped off. We had original company come out do the repair and reseal the drive and sidewalk in 2016. That was $850. It should be resealed every 2 to 3 years, for around $500 to $600. As I said while it’s very curb appealing and held up well, I would opt for plain drive. We have 2 golf carts, a Sebring, and with a suv on the drive so it does take wear of our vehicles
Old 03-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am part of the silent group who enjoy their buck naked driveways.

Probably envious Gracie.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-03-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:38 PM

Nothing beats the beauty of pavers. We have had ours for about 18 months with no problems. The best paver companies will guarantee against cracking for life as long as you pay about $400 every 2 year’s for complete cleaning and resealing which should be done anyway. Yes it is a bit pricy, but is is part of your front door.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,417 Times in 1,463 Posts

We're going with the 60mm pavers. We like the look of pavers and are also willing to pay the cost of maintaining them to maintain the warranty. Should be installed in a few weeks by Native Cuts.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Every couple of years, I have Egner's, (352) 728-8537, clean my all concrete driveway. It's not pressure washing with a wand. They come with what looks like an over-sized buffing machine. My driveway is a large, circular one; about twice the size of what I'd call a regular driveway. They clean right up to my front door. It's been costing me $180.
Egners just scrubbed ours two weeks ago. It looks like a brand-new driveway. I guess we're just "Up North" folks--never saw the need to fancify the driveway. Although I do like brick paved driveways.

I'd be afraid the snow plows would scrape up the painted driveway.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Egners just scrubbed ours two weeks ago. It looks like a brand-new driveway. I guess we're just "Up North" folks--never saw the need to fancify the driveway. Although I do like brick paved driveways.

I'd be afraid the snow plows would scrape up the painted driveway.
If you have them bring the plow to 1” your drive will be spared. So brick away.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Yes they do. In my opinion, Go Concrete does a great job and the driveway looks great....much better than just a painted driveway.

Also, I have recently seen a great looking and not slippery driveway done by "Concrete Texture and Design" from Fruitland Park. It is a husband and wife team. Their number is 352-636-0274. That driveway was simply amazing.

Those are about the only two options I would consider.

While many like pavers, they are not without their problems. I have seen many very expensive paver driveways that were not done well and have resulted in drainage problems, etc.

Hope that helps!

Frank
Where did you see the driveway done by the husband and wife team from Fruitland Park?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Try rubbing it with a pumice stone. You can buy them at Home Depot in yhe swimming pool section.
I tried the pumice stone and it did not touch those dark brown stains by my front door.

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-13-2018 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Where did you see the driveway done by the husband and wife team from Fruitland Park?
I'll ask my sons.....when you do 500 inspections a year in The Villages you forget easily. This was about 3 weeks ago. It was definitely in the Osceola Hills/Pine Hills area but I do not remember what street. My sons may remember. Sorry! I will ask today and post back. Of course I'll be there today and might even see it....

Frank
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

352-397-6996 Robert's Driveway. His wife gives him support but he is a very temperamental artist. Great job. I wouldn't have had the driveway and garage done but wanted to cover up the paint job that came with the house. Highly recommended. Doesn't want a nickel until he is finished and your happy with his work.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
I'll ask my sons.....when you do 500 inspections a year in The Villages you forget easily. This was about 3 weeks ago. It was definitely in the Osceola Hills/Pine Hills area but I do not remember what street. My sons may remember. Sorry! I will ask today and post back. Of course I'll be there today and might even see it....

Frank
Thank you Frank. I'll be looking for your post.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
352-397-6996 Robert's Driveway. His wife gives him support but he is a very temperamental artist. Great job. I wouldn't have had the driveway and garage done but wanted to cover up the paint job that came with the house. Highly recommended. Doesn't want a nickel until he is finished and your happy with his work.
Is this the husband and wife team Frank spoke of? Thanks to you too, Nucky.

EDIT: Just realized the name of the company of the husband and wife team mentioned above is not "Robert's Driveway".

I'm glad to have a couple of companies to call.

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-13-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
application, concrete, cover, driveway, pavers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.