Application Withdrawn!

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We will all be in the Village of Heavenly by then. The world will be run by others. Now is the day to dance.

I feel comforted as long as there is a Morse presence felt. I just worry about when the inmates try to run the asylum.

People will overspend on foolish things, deleting the beautiful flowers because it is too expensive, and use too much water, make it into a multi generational community. Decide they would like to see government housing where the golf courses are. Oh yes.

Glad to be here, alive and kicking right now with The Morses at the helm.
I agree completely, from seeing the highlighted phrases above happen. Friends in a beautiful golf community of 55+ condos in the midwest have watched…... as the family apartment village bordering the golf course and pool was sold to some trashy investment apartment conglomerate, to make the hundreds of apartments in the complex into Section 8 subsidized housing…..

….IN the golf community, not "by" it, and beside the beautiful condos run by retired business executives who know how to manage the HOA solvently and keep the condo fees down, under $200/mo.

I wish more people who complain here had actually worked in a business where they saw and had to understand an income/expense worksheet, and how the revenue is earned in sales and brought in to pay the bills. Nobody--especially not politicians glad-handing for votes--is going to match the TV developers in that arena.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:37 AM

I'm not understanding the zip code issue. We live south of 466A which is "in" Wildwood, but we have a Villages zip code. What's the big deal???
Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. I have two children and their families that live in Sumter County and I hear that stance often from their in-laws. None of my children or their spouses work for any businesses that are supported or are in any way affiliated with anything "Villages." Neither are any members of their extended families. It is an interesting take when you have conversations with these folks because they often see TV impact much differently than many found on this forum.
I personally applaud the Mayor for not immediately rolling over and am convinced that this will be resolved with both sides satisfied in the end.
Let's see here…..

Looking at my Sumter County Property tax on a Villages 3/2 home here with selling market price of $225,000 or so, I see tax billed as:

Sumter County: $1,062
Sumter School Board: $1,128

I'm sure those relatives don't mind 50,000 homes paying school taxes into the county school taxes, all by residents/homeowners having no children to be schooled and in need of added schools in Wildwood or Fruitland Park or wherever.

Lake County only dreams of having that school tax revenue from TV.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Gold member

Dumbwood I mean Wildwood has a business plan? Who knew?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Let's see here…..

Looking at my Sumter County Property tax on a Villages 3/2 home here with selling market price of $225,000 or so, I see tax billed as:

I'm sure those relatives don't mind 50,000 homes paying school taxes into the county school taxes, all by residents/homeowners having no children to be schooled and in need of schools here.

Lake County only dreams of having that.
I don't mind paying school taxes even though I have no family using the schools. It is in my best interest to have an educated population, and to have the little bastards off the streets during the day.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
Glad to see Wildwood take a stand and not just roll over for the villages.
Does the Villages help the area. Yes.
Do they exercise too much control over Sumter County and the surrounding area. Yes I think so.
By all related reportage, it was not Wildwood, but The Villages, which took the final stand. A fair and equitable proposal was made by the Developer. When the Mayor of Wildwood thought the deal was "in the bag", he overestimated his position of strength in the negotiations and tried to extort unreasonable last-minute concessions. It was a common, rather foolish, error of judgment.

Unless the Mayor has a rabbit somewhere in his tiny bag of tricks, this faux pas will cost the citizens and businesses of Wildwood dearly. Hope he has his resume in order.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:16 AM

The Mayor has painted himself into a corner by negotiating in the press. Bad practice, he should know better. It leaves him no place to go until/if The Villages decides to come back to him and most likely offer less.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebiker View Post
I'm not understanding the zip code issue. We live south of 466A which is "in" Wildwood, but we have a Villages zip code. What's the big deal???
Your question made me curious so I googled: Wildwood FL city limits map.

turns out that your area and most of TV south of 466a is NOT included, while the parcel in question and Pinellas Plaza is.

Interesting. Sorry...cant post the link but youll find it if you google it.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I agree with most of your assessment.

But while TV is definitely a business, it is also a CDD. To simply state that TV is a business and not a city is a bit simplistic. While a CDD is not technically a city, it is definitely more than just a business, and resembles a city in many ways.

Plus, whether it's technically accurate or not, I think most residents living here, shopping here, socializing here and having fun here would say TV much more closely resembles a city than just a business.
Whether it resembles a city or not, the reality is that is is not one, any more than Recreation Plantation on 466 is. Both are organized businesses providing housing and amenities / activities. Yet I would be highly surprised to see anyone at Recreation Plantation going to great lengths to tell the ownership how to run the park, what and where to build, dispute their right to add or remove attractions (like the buffalo, Katie Belle's, etc. ) ,and otherwise how to put their financial investment at risk. And even if they tried, the ownership there would probably tell them (and rightfully so) that if they don't like and appreciate the business proposal, maybe it would be best for everyone if they moved on to another place that fit their needs and wants. After all, Recreation Plantation does a robust business. So does the Villages. I think both business principals know what's best for their own operation.

We all move here knowing (or should know) that there is no mayor and council government at The Villages. Anyone who landed here without understanding that needs a history lesson.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Sage
Default Application Withdrawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Whether it resembles a city or not, the reality is that is is not one, any more than Recreation Plantation on 466 is...
I'm a bit surprised at your reply since I expressed agreement with most of your post. TV is a for-profit endeavor and I'm all for it. But if you want to press the point...
The Villages & Recreation Plantation. Yeah...that's a really good comparison. Give me a break.
If you want to use technical definitions for what is a city, you're 100% correct. TV is not a city. In any other commonly perceived sense of the word, your comparison fails miserably.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Whether it resembles a city or not, the reality is that is is not one, any more than Recreation Plantation on 466 is. Both are organized businesses providing housing and amenities / activities. Yet I would be highly surprised to see anyone at Recreation Plantation going to great lengths to tell the ownership how to run the park, what and where to build, dispute their right to add or remove attractions (like the buffalo, Katie Belle's, etc. ) ,and otherwise how to put their financial investment at risk. And even if they tried, the ownership there would probably tell them (and rightfully so) that if they don't like and appreciate the business proposal, maybe it would be best for everyone if they moved on to another place that fit their needs and wants. After all, Recreation Plantation does a robust business. So does the Villages. I think both business principals know what's best for their own operation.

We all move here knowing (or should know) that there is no mayor and council government at The Villages. Anyone who landed here without understanding that needs a history lesson.
And that lack of elected, grinning glad-hands is why TV is uniquely successful in the nation and world.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keywest View Post
But I'm sure these "family members" don't complain when they come inside The Villages for some of their entertainment, shopping, eating etc.
Hmmmmm...............
Hmmmmm....well, they, "family members" (not sure why that was in quotes), don't come in here that often. You may find this hard to believe, but there are other activities outside The Villages. They go to Clermont, Bushnell, Ocala, Eustis, Mt. Dora and other places including The Villages. I'm pretty sure the businesses that they do frequent greatly appreciate the money they spend.

Dr. Seuss
Old 04-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Let's see here…..

I'm sure those relatives don't mind 50,000 homes paying school taxes into the county school taxes, all by residents/homeowners having no children to be schooled and in need of added schools in Wildwood or Fruitland Park or wherever.

Lake County only dreams of having that school tax revenue from TV.
Guess what, even before those coveted tax dollars were entering their coffers they were highly rated schools. Lake Pan and a few others have been known as Model schools long before growth south of 466A. That being said, sure they'll take a few million dollars more for the schools, who wouldn't. But if you think all those residents in southern Sumter County welcome the changes you would be sadly mistaken. I know it's hard to believe but The Villages is not the center of the Universe.....

Dr. Seuss
Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Default Wildwood City Limits Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
Your question made me curious so I googled: Wildwood FL city limits map.

turns out that your area and most of TV south of 466a is NOT included, while the parcel in question and Pinellas Plaza is.

Interesting. Sorry...cant post the link but youll find it if you google it.
Saw your post and figured I'd check it out. Wow! What a convoluted city limit boundary Wildwood has! Take a look at the map at the link and check out some of the crazy zigs and zags.

Wildwood City Limit Map
Old 04-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I recently heard a residential CDD best described as "township-like", if you come from an area that had townships (I didn't). Each CDD has a board that sets a budget for maintaining the CDD. They have the ability to collect money for maintenance and other services so they are Government-like. Essentially, The Villages is a collection of CDDs (both residential and non-residential), each of which has maintenance responsibilities but also share some common administrative infrastructure. You can think of the CDDs as organizations that provide additional services beyond what the Counties provide and have the ability to collect money to provide those services. The geographic extent of a CDD is determined when it created and they have a maximum size. That is why we now have 11 residential CDDs. Your CDD and the county are your governments.

Quote:

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.