Appreciation of home values

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Default Appreciation of home values

Can anyone advise me about the typical percentage of appreciation per year in the value of homes in TV?

Much appreciated. Trying to do my homework about a possible purchase.

Thanks in advance. All advice welcome.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Lyle Gant's site may have some historical statistics including average/median prices in The Villages over time.

http://www.lylesellsthevillages.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-31-2014, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Lyle Gant's site may have some historical statistics including average/median prices in The Villages over time.

http://www.lylesellsthevillages.com
I followed your link but couldn't find the statistics. Would you give us a link to that page?
thank-you
Old 12-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Sage

Just saw an article in that other "online newspaper" that a pre-owned home, in Bridgeport, sold for over $7K...that the owner had paid $3k-something a handful of years ago. Forgot to state that it is a 3 bdrm/2 bth villa. Interesting!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:15 PM
Sage

Just saw an article in that other "online newspaper" that a pre-owned home (villa), in Bridgeport, sold for over $7K...that the owner had paid $3k-something a handful of years ago. It stated the buyer had to pay cash as it wouldn't have made it in the appraised value otherwise, so he must have over-paid AND really wanted it. It must be "something" inside for that price! Interesting!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnj33 View Post
Can anyone advise me about the typical percentage of appreciation per year in the value of homes in TV?

Much appreciated. Trying to do my homework about a possible purchase.

Thanks in advance. All advice welcome.
You do know that if the houses appreciated an average of 7% over the last few years, the month after you purchase it will depreciate....

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-31-2014, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

the price of homes in TV is sort of like the stock market sometimes up and sometimes down....but year after year shows the trend to be up.

The least expensive home you will be buy in TV is the one bought TODAY!!!

When the build out is complete (or should I say "if" ) then the demand for existing homes will be driven by the baby boomers that will inundate the market for several more years to come.

And I find it interesting to be looking at future values...only realized at the time of a sale.....when considering buying now/soon/near future.

Built/bought and sold many homes over our lifetime and the future value of the home was never a factor. But because we always build/buy in the right location......we have experienced some significant profits.

We have been here 10 years and our home has appreciated at least 50% and I expect it will do more over the next 10 years.

Jump in....
Old 12-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Buy NOW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Jump in....
Agree with billethkid...Jump In

I bought a one year old, pre-owned CYV in Oct 2012 and the value has gone up faster than any property I have ever owned (at least $35k in 2 years). Find an area that you like and grab something. You can always peruse the FSBO on this and other sites and make an offer directly to a motivated seller-- CASH on hand always helps. Good luck....
Old 12-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
the price of homes in TV is sort of like the stock market sometimes up and sometimes down....but year after year shows the trend to be up.

When the build out is complete (or should I say "if" ) then the demand for existing homes will be driven by the baby boomers that will inundate the market for several more years to come.

And I find it interesting to be looking at future values...only realized at the time of a sale.....when considering buying now/soon/near future.

Built/bought and sold many homes over our lifetime and the future value of the home was never a factor. But because we always build/buy in the right location......we have experienced some significant profits.

We have been here 10 years and our home has appreciated at least 50% and I expect it will do more over the next 10 years.

Jump in....

I believe the Daily Sun had stated home appreciation was at 27% in the last year. Maybe there is a slight variance for each individual home but i think will only go up, if and when the build-out is completed.

After build-out, I expect home will appreciated in value ,even more.

"Jump in", is right on!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I followed your link but couldn't find the statistics. Would you give us a link to that page?
thank-you
Lyle Gant used to post a link to a graph showing median home price points over time on TOTV every once in a while. I just checked his site and it has changed considerably and I could not find price change over time. I did a search and found a graph showing median sale price from 2005 to Nov. 2014. Here it is: The Villages Home Prices and Home Values - Zillow

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

Seems we are back in the expanding price bubble. It is somewhat driven by what the Developer charges for new homes. However, their last price increase did not stick, everything is "discounted" by 5% for 2 months; -- and after that, we'll see??
Old 12-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Default "Jumping IN"

Thanks everyone for the advice/opinions. We are signing a contract on Saturday!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Sage

So is it a bubble??? has it peaked since the developer is discounting new sales - not close outs in neighborhoods, but new homes??? I don't think so at this point, but there will come a point it becomes to crowded for people to enjoy The Villages for what it was meant to be and then who knows - or maybe not - people will still buy, decide this doesn't work and move on. In the meantime prices will continue to rise because of demand. Guess it's a win-win if you own a home.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 PM

12% increase in value over the last year is what I had seen.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Veteran member

I bought in December. I have been watching the market for years, and I think we are poised for a lift off in prices. Unemployment is almost down to 5%, and that is when inflation kicks in. Boomers are retiring due to the runup in the stock market, and this will continue. The developer will stop building (for at least a short time) and that will stall supply - that is when prices will spike. Combine that with Ultralow interest rates and it is no doubt time to buy. Rents are going up fast also. Do it man!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.