Arc meeting

Old 05-22-2024, 08:37 PM
Default Arc meeting

Hi,
I wanted to get my driveway painted with a design. I submitted the form description to the ARC and then attended the meeting. There was 1 rep. from each district, total was around 15-16 and 1 on the phone line. Kind of an impressive set-up.

On their agenda were 122 requests. These folks are busy. I waited my turn listening to roof colors, expanding driveways, and wanting to post signs to keep people out of their yard.
Well the sign didn't fly and there is a no sign rule except in your window.

The ARC is not there to make the rules, they are there to interpret them for you and see if what you want will fly. They also have a past record of things done to the exterior of a home. So they have history. Oddly enough, if a change was made that wasn't approved, then no modification can be made to that change. And they said there is no grandfather rule.

They even said the pledge of allegiance after roll call. It was highly recommended that if you had a request it would help if you were there to answer questions or you may get denied from lack of understanding. Attendance is key............AND attendees are sworn in to tell the truth.

After 1 hour they finally got to me and denied my request. The picture I wanted on the driveway was larger than they allow. They said that a figure/emblem/animal/etc. could not be greater than a 5x5. I was disappointed but I was still impressed with how they handled themselves. All 15 or 16 district people vote on every case.

So if you file a request with the ARC, it's smart to go to the meeting. What I don't know is if someone does something without a request, will it ever come back to bite them. Maybe some of you will know that. Please chime in..........
Old 05-22-2024, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,428 Times in 5,513 Posts

Very interesting thanks for sharing
Old 05-22-2024, 11:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
So if you file a requet with the ARC, it's smart to go to the meeting. What I don't know is if someone does something without a request, will it ever come back to bite them. Maybe some of you will know that. Please chime in..........
I disagree. Why waste the time? Anything reasonable will be rubber stamped essentially. I've done 4 ARC applications all approved.

The older I get, the more valuable my time is. I certainly wouldn't be wasting it at a venue like that. If an ARC application is not approved you can always put in a new application that is compliant.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
I disagree. Why waste the time? Anything reasonable will be rubber stamped essentially. I've done 4 ARC applications all approved.

The older I get, the more valuable my time is. I certainly wouldn't be wasting it at a venue like that. If an ARC application is not approved you can always put in a new application that is compliant.
It's never a waste of time when you take the time to learn how our community works. I wish more people wasted time to attending meetings. It would increase understanding and decrease unfounded complaints.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
The ARC is not there to make the rules, they are there to interpret them for you and see if what you want will fly. They also have a past record of things done to the exterior of a home. So they have history. Oddly enough, if a change was made that wasn't approved, then no modification can be made to that change. And they said there is no grandfather rule.
Great post. Very informative.

I will definitely plan on attending a meeting in the future so I can make sure that I am prepared when I eventually submit a request.

I'm pleased to hear they are professional and on top of the issues. Our former HOA/neighborhood in Orlando hit the 12 year mark in 2022 so it is starting to take on that ragged, neglected, "nothing-gets-enforced-anyway" look.

What impressed my wife and I when we first toured/considered the village for our next-25 years home was how "nice" everything looked." Our Village home is a substantial investment and we want to protect that asset for our future.

It is the dedicated volunteer groups like the ARC that help that happen.

Sincerely, thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,343 Posts

Rich, there have been several cases where people were found to be out of compliance with deed restrictions and had to have the work removed and returned to original condition, landscaping is typically the biggest offender, followed by driveway expansion, house paint colors, and other alterations done without approval. On a side note, many times you can call or stop by the ARC office and ask if want you want to do is likely to pass, I have done this twice to make sure the actual document submitted would go through the first time.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,885 Times in 1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Rich, there have been several cases where people were found to be out of compliance with deed restrictions and had to have the work removed and returned to original condition, landscaping is typically the biggest offender, followed by driveway expansion, house paint colors, and other alterations done without approval.

On a side note, many times you can call or stop by the ARC office and ask if want you want to do is likely to pass, I have done this twice to make sure the actual document submitted would go through the first time.
Agree, they have always been been very kind an helpful.

If a contractor is submitting for you, always verify/check it with the office yourself to make sure it was done and it's correct.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Rich, there have been several cases where people were found to be out of compliance with deed restrictions and had to have the work removed and returned to original condition, landscaping is typically the biggest offender, followed by driveway expansion, house paint colors, and other alterations done without approval. On a side note, many times you can call or stop by the ARC office and ask if want you want to do is likely to pass, I have done this twice to make sure the actual document submitted would go through the first time.
Tinker, You're right on the mark. I just commented a few days ago on how helpful the "arc lady" above Starbucks has been in each of my applications (I should probably know her name but now). In any case I'd highly recommend going in to visit with her at any point in your applicant submission and she will guide you in a very proficent manner.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Can you put a 5x5 painted white cross on your driveway?
Old 05-23-2024, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,985 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
Can you put a 5x5 painted white cross on your driveway?
How about a Pentagram also
Old 05-23-2024, 11:01 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
How about a Pentagram also
Honestly that's a really interesting question. IS there actually a political agenda attached to the "5X5" logo, insignia, picture rule ? Would a 5X5 American flag picture be allowed, and a "5x5" of the U.A.R. flag be rejected on "political" ground ? What about a 5X5 of a donkey ? Or and elephant, with no other word or addition ? I am not trying to escalate this at all, I'm truly interested if a plain cross, or a Star of David, if kept to the discrete 5X5 limit would be as permissible as a golf club image (which I have seen done) ?
Old 05-23-2024, 11:20 AM

OP,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Very much appreciated and is the value of this site!!
Old 05-23-2024, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,559 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
It's never a waste of time when you take the time to learn how our community works. I wish more people wasted time to attending meetings. It would increase understanding and decrease unfounded complaints.
I so agree, sir.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:34 AM

Thank you for this very helpful information. We are having our driveway done soon and our contractor will be submitting the approval, which we will check to be sure it’s legit after it’s approved. Two neighbors had their driveways done this week by two different contractors, and both had palm trees added to the center of their driveways. They look like they’re 5’ or less in height, so likely were approved designs. In both cases the color scheme used was the same as their house colors, which is how ours will be also. Both driveways are very nice, and definitely an enhancement to their homes.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
Thank you for this very helpful information. We are having our driveway done soon and our contractor will be submitting the approval, which we will check to be sure it’s legit after it’s approved. Two neighbors had their driveways done this week by two different contractors, and both had palm trees added to the center of their driveways. They look like they’re 5’ or less in height, so likely were approved designs. In both cases the color scheme used was the same as their house colors, which is how ours will be also. Both driveways are very nice, and definitely an enhancement to their homes.
We like many had the texture drive at our old neighborhood. Our was already in place so no input, but upkeep was costly. Neighborhood had 95% of every driveway done.
This house we both we in agreement bare driveway. Seems in our new area about 30-35% added deco to their driveway, the rest, just plain. Garage floors about the same. I will say majority of deco drives done within a month of move in.

But large percentage have added a mini split, which is the way we are going. Our garage is large enough to use as storage space.

Tags
request, arc, meeting, driveway, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.