Arc meeting

Old 05-24-2024, 07:28 AM
Gold member

It’s such an interesting process here. According to website ARC is purely administrative in nature. The issuance or permits and variances is done through the various county or city building departments. So any appeals would be through the latter?
Old 05-24-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
It's never a waste of time when you take the time to learn how our community works. I wish more people wasted time to attending meetings. It would increase understanding and decrease unfounded complaints.
I totally agree! If your plan is reviewed and issues are "brought up", your presence can expedite (or eliminate) concerns. Also, you get immediate approval / decline, you do not have to wait for correspondence.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,560 Times in 2,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
I dropped by the office in January and was told that District 10 had no painting restrictions except that the colors could not be fluorescent..........I checked back again in May and they said I had to submit a request form........so,yes, they can help you. BUT, best to double check in case. Not sure on how many people actually get approval for landscaping, seems like more don't. Also not sure on who checks landscape if at all. Must be if someone complains.........not sure.......
Quote:
They told me it was okay because District 10 had no restrictions..........DO NOT depend on the company to be right..........submit and attend is the best philosophy..........
District 10 changed their policy on driveways between January and May of this year. What you were told in January by the office and the painters could have been correct at the time but had changed by May. (at least the draft manual had changed by May, I did not see it approved at a meeting but I have missed some)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-24-2024, 07:36 AM
Default Clarify

Quote:
Hi,
I wanted to get my driveway painted with a design. I submitted the form description to the ARC and then attended the meeting. There was 1 rep. from each district, total was around 15-16 and 1 on the phone line. Kind of an impressive set-up.

On their agenda were 122 requests. These folks are busy. I waited my turn listening to roof colors, expanding driveways, and wanting to post signs to keep people out of their yard.
Well the sign didn't fly and there is a no sign rule except in your window.

The ARC is not there to make the rules, they are there to interpret them for you and see if what you want will fly. They also have a past record of things done to the exterior of a home. So they have history. Oddly enough, if a change was made that wasn't approved, then no modification can be made to that change. And they said there is no grandfather rule.

They even said the pledge of allegiance after roll call. It was highly recommended that if you had a request it would help if you were there to answer questions or you may get denied from lack of understanding. Attendance is key............AND attendees are sworn in to tell the truth.

After 1 hour they finally got to me and denied my request. The picture I wanted on the driveway was larger than they allow. They said that a figure/emblem/animal/etc. could not be greater than a 5x5. I was disappointed but I was still impressed with how they handled themselves. All 15 or 16 district people vote on every case.

So if you file a request with the ARC, it's smart to go to the meeting. What I don't know is if someone does something without a request, will it ever come back to bite them. Maybe some of you will know that. Please chime in..........
" Oddly enough, if a change was made that wasn't approved, then no modification can be made to that change. And they said there is no grandfather rule."

So, if someone makes a change with out approval or "Kiss the ring" as I like to say, then get caught later, no modification can be made to the change. Does that mean they can't be made to put it back to original? or Are they forced to go back to normal with no chance of approval later?
Old 05-24-2024, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,092 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
You are probably correct about many not seeking ARC approvals for landscaping. I know most of my neighbors did not seek ARC approval for their landscaping work on their new homes (though most would have been approved, as the work they did is compliant with the current deeds/restrictions). I don’t understand why they didn’t seek approval - the process is so easy. All I know, is that if I was interested in purchasing a resale, and the seller could not produce ARC approval documentation of any work done, I would walk.
How in the world do you know that most of your neighbors did not seek ARC approval? Since most would have been approved, did you report the ones who wouldn't?
Old 05-24-2024, 07:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
How in the world do you know that most of your neighbors did not seek ARC approval? Since most would have been approved, did you report the ones who wouldn't?
Neighbors ratting on neighbors? Here...in TV? That’s not in line with the code of conduct brochures!
Old 05-24-2024, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Is the removal of non compliant work done selectively or uniformly? Since the OP made mention of no grandfather exemptions....a simple drive through any random village you can see a lot of non compliance
What I have seen is any non-compliant work that is brought to the attention of the CDD is dealt with uniformly. The homeowner is given an opportunity to bring the work into compliance and if that is not done then fines are levied (and I believe liens can be attached now too).

You may see a lot of non compliance for two reasons: 1. Some rules vary from one CDD to another and it may actually be compliant; and, 2. The system is complaint driven and no one has filed a complaint against those properties.

There was discussion at the CDD10 meetings about driveway designs and grandfathering. The problem was created when CDD10 changed their policy to begin requiring approval for driveway painting. While I need approval today, I did not need approval last year. If someone files a complaint against my driveway tomorrow, I may or may not need to correct it depending on how old it is. Bottom line is: If the work was in violation when it was performed then there will be no grandfathering. I have seen only one exception to this in the six years I have been paying attention.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-24-2024, 07:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
What I have seen is any non-compliant work that is brought to the attention of the CDD is dealt with uniformly. The homeowner is given an opportunity to bring the work into compliance and if that is not done then fines are levied (and I believe liens can be attached now too).

You may see a lot of non compliance for two reasons: 1. Some rules vary from one CDD to another and it may actually be compliant; and, 2. The system is complaint driven and no one has filed a complaint against those properties.

There was discussion at the CDD10 meetings about driveway designs and grandfathering. The problem was created when CDD10 changed their policy to begin requiring approval for driveway painting. While I need approval today, I did not need approval last year. If someone files a complaint against my driveway tomorrow, I may or may not need to correct it depending on how old it is. Bottom line is: If the work was in violation when it was performed then there will be no grandfathering. I have seen only one exception to this in the six years I have been paying attention.
So it’s complaint driven. Selective uniformity!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
You can look up every application online. By address or just a street. You can view the actual plans, and the company who is doing the work.

In our old neighborhood we wanted to know who did our drive, looked up application to find companies.

In new neighborhood we really like the landscaping of a home, particularly 3 plants, that my iPhone app gave me multiple plants. I looked up the address, and their contractor listed the names of all shrubs and plants.

So yes ARC site put in street name, and if they did it correctly you will find the paperwork.

However I can tell you many had landscapers dig up their yards within days of closing. It’s takes 4-7 weeks before you are on the agenda. So most likely no ARC approval. Plus there were many trucks full of trees and bushes doing drive by landscaping, again no ARC.

Our landscaper gave us a date to replace sod only, in 3 weeks, but if we wanted to add new beds around the pool, had to wait 6 weeks for the ARC agenda, then approval he submitted.

As he said sod is just a replacement of prior grass, new beds additional and needed ARC.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,671 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Ae they bragging about not seeking ARC approval? - “look at my new, non compliant landscaping.”
Old 05-24-2024, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
So it’s complaint driven. Selective uniformity!
Perhaps selective uniformity by the neighbors, not the ARC or CDD.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-24-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I wanted to get my driveway painted with a design. I submitted the form description to the ARC and then attended the meeting. There was 1 rep. from each district, total was around 15-16 and 1 on the phone line. Kind of an impressive set-up.

On their agenda were 122 requests. These folks are busy. I waited my turn listening to roof colors, expanding driveways, and wanting to post signs to keep people out of their yard.
Well the sign didn't fly and there is a no sign rule except in your window.

The ARC is not there to make the rules, they are there to interpret them for you and see if what you want will fly. They also have a past record of things done to the exterior of a home. So they have history. Oddly enough, if a change was made that wasn't approved, then no modification can be made to that change. And they said there is no grandfather rule.

They even said the pledge of allegiance after roll call. It was highly recommended that if you had a request it would help if you were there to answer questions or you may get denied from lack of understanding. Attendance is key............AND attendees are sworn in to tell the truth.

After 1 hour they finally got to me and denied my request. The picture I wanted on the driveway was larger than they allow. They said that a figure/emblem/animal/etc. could not be greater than a 5x5. I was disappointed but I was still impressed with how they handled themselves. All 15 or 16 district people vote on every case.

So if you file a request with the ARC, it's smart to go to the meeting. What I don't know is if someone does something without a request, will it ever come back to bite them. Maybe some of you will know that. Please chime in..........
We attended one many years ago. Totally agree with your assessment. We all purchased homes in a deed restricted development. I’m forever amused by the objections said homeowners have living in a deed restricted development. 🤷🏻*♀️
Old 05-24-2024, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Perhaps selective uniformity by the neighbors, not the ARC or CDD.
Does ARC or CDD have an enforcement division? It seems to me if it’s that important....like parking enforcement is to a municipality, they would be rolling in each and every district on the daily. All kidding aside, I don’t like neighbors being a conduit for an agency that should be able to satisfy compliance without the assistance of the former. That’s what you pay for....
Old 05-24-2024, 08:28 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,799 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
I’ve never reported anybody. In talking to my neighbors, very few sought ARC approval.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
if we wanted to add new beds around the pool, had to wait 6 weeks for the ARC agenda
I think you either got bad info or things may have changed.

I turned in an application on May 13th and I'm on the agenda for May 29th, 16 day wait. Had I waited until Tuesday May 14th to turn in my application it would have been on the June 12th agenda, 30 day wait. I guess in round terms that makes it between 2 & 1/2 and 4 & 1/2 weeks.

I think she said they meet every 2 weeks and you've got to be in before the end of the day 2 the Mondays before the meeting.

In any case it seems like a long time to me, maybe I'm a little impatient....

Tags
request, arc, meeting, driveway, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.