Yes there will be gates @both entrances..

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Gold member
Default Yes there will be gates @both entrances..

"Due to the amount of large trucks and equipment traveling the community to remove debris, gate arms will NOT be added back to un-staffed gates. If you approach a gate where the gate arm has been removed, use extreme caution and make sure to stop before proceeding."

the powers that be assume we understand what is not stated...and that is after the debris is completely removed the un-staffed gates will be reinstalled. Just not now like the staffed gates are....
Old 09-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
" If you approach a gate where the gate arm has been removed, use extreme caution and make sure to stop before proceeding."

sure wish everyone adhered to this . Not happening. Lots of folks are treating this situation as a reason not to slow down never mind stop and proceed with caution. 3 times in the last couple days I've been trying to go through the golf cart crossings at these gates (Gilchrist & Charlotte) and been nearly hit .
Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Many people think the gates are useless. I hope this period of time without them will remind us why they are VERY USEFUL. Be careful out there.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Sage
Default Yes there will be gates @both entrances..

Seems that the powers that be are forgoing safety for clean up efficiency. How much time is wasted to have a large truck stop to push a red button ? Stupid misguided decision not to reinstall the gate arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Gates are for safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Many people think the gates are useless. I hope this period of time without them will remind us why they are VERY USEFUL. Be careful out there.
I agree the gates provide a certain amount of safety for golf carts. They make cars come to a complete stop before proceeding on to their destination.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Seems that the powers that be are forgoing safety for clean up efficiency. How much time is wasted to have a large truck stop to push a red button ? Stupid misguided decision not to reinstall the gate arms.

Have you seen the size of the trucks they are using? The driver would have to get out at each gate to push the button. At some gates, there may be a problem with the length of the truck/trailer combo as well. And there are those that feel the process is taking too long as it is.

It would behoove all of us to remember this is still the recovery period after the storm and to proceed carefully until all the storm damage and debris removal are finished.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Have you seen the size of the trucks they are using? The driver would have to get out at each gate to push the button. At some gates, there may be a problem with the length of the truck/trailer combo as well. And there are those that feel the process is taking too long as it is.

It would behoove all of us to remember this is still the recovery period after the storm and to proceed carefully until all the storm damage and debris removal are finished.
Excellent points...and a breath of common sense.

Besides, it's not like the gates offer any real security.

And as far as golf carts darting across the road in trying to time the gates being down, so that they're not inconvenienced a few precious seconds...just wait until there are no vehicles coming.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Stupid, misguided......Oh my.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
...Besides, it's not like the gates offer any real security.
Definitely a matter of opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
...And as far as golf carts darting across the road in trying to time the gates being down, so that they're not inconvenienced a few precious seconds...just wait until there are no vehicles coming.
So the gates offer cart riders no safety at all from the car drivers who see no gates and therefore see no need to slow down, even a little bit?!? Yeah. Right.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post

Haven't seen truck in my area yet. Good luck with the safety information about slowing down? I think some speed up. Some body will probably get plowed over. The information should be stop or yeid when coming in gate along with white line stop sign below the gate. So when the arm is missing there stop sign in place.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The information should be stop or yeid when coming in gate along with white line stop sign below the gate. So when the arm is missing there stop sign in place.
Or just use common sense and be courteous.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Sometimes we do things out of habit. Yesterday, I was behind a couple whose car turned on to Hillsborough from Morse. They stopped at the entrance station to swipe their card. Thank goodness they didn’t wait for the gate to open as the gates arms there haven’t been in place since Erma.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post

Actually the stupid misguided decision is made by those that won't slow down going through the gates.....the district doesn't drive the cars. It's sad when they ask our cooperation and we snub our noses at them, then we blame them when something doesn't meet with our view. I know that many do adhere and help, but there is that minority that continues the negative perception of seniors drivers.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Many people think the gates are useless.
I hope this period of time without them will remind us why they are VERY USEFUL. Be careful out there.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Veteran member

According to the report handed out at Welcome Wednesday, the arms will be put back on the unmanned gates north of 466 today.
Closed Thread

Tags
gates, gate, un-staffed, debris, removed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.