Artificial turf for dogs?

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Artificial turf for dogs?

Has anyone put in artificial turf for their dog. I saw on the web that there is a company in Ocala that puts it in but I was wanting some first hand opinions. It sounds like it might be a good option for our dogs and less maintenance for us. Any input is appreciated.

LW888
Old 12-04-2011, 10:32 AM

There is a company in The Daily Sun under landscaping that does pet turf. Stocf.com. Seen it on HGTV as well.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Has anyone put in artificial turf for their dog. I saw on the web that there is a company in Ocala that puts it in but I was wanting some first hand opinions. It sounds like it might be a good option for our dogs and less maintenance for us. Any input is appreciated.

LW888
some time ago, irishmen also started an interesting thread about artificial lturf...you might want to read it...go to:
Resident pays $8500 and loses it to vendor on The Square

the initial post by irishmen reads thusly, "A homeowner on Little Mountain Loop in The Village of Duvall paid thousands to have natural grass removed and artificial grass and rock installed in front yard and now The Villages are making them take it out. They have lost thousands of dollars to Pooters. Company called Pooters who has a tent on The Square on Market nights deceived them that this was OK. Homeowner didn't verify Pooters was telling them the truth and collected money knowing it was against deed restrictions. How can The Villages allow this vendor to continue to operate on the Square in this manner? Taking advantage of Senior Citizens no matter should not be permitted. Yes it is ultimately the homeowners responsibility but How many other homeowners are being deceived by Pooters? Pooters operates on directly managed property by the Entertainment Division under the umbrella of The Villages Community District. According to a friend of the homeowner Pooters even had some official looking document from the State stating artificial grass is OK so I don't blame the homeowner I blame Pooters. It's a shame The Villages continue 100% blaming the homeowner. How can The Villages let this continue. Pooters was well
aware of the deed restrictions. It's up to us Villagers to watch our own backs. Any credible landscape company will advise the homeowner to get approval from Architectual Review."

Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
some time ago, irishmen also started an interesting thread about artificial lturf...you might want to read it...go to:
Resident pays $8500 and loses it to vendor on The Square

the initial post by irishmen reads thusly, "A homeowner on Little Mountain Loop in The Village of Duvall paid thousands to have natural grass removed and artificial grass and rock installed in front yard and now The Villages are making them take it out. They have lost thousands of dollars to Pooters. Company called Pooters who has a tent on The Square on Market nights deceived them that this was OK. Homeowner didn't verify Pooters was telling them the truth and collected money knowing it was against deed restrictions. How can The Villages allow this vendor to continue to operate on the Square in this manner? Taking advantage of Senior Citizens no matter should not be permitted. Yes it is ultimately the homeowners responsibility but How many other homeowners are being deceived by Pooters? Pooters operates on directly managed property by the Entertainment Division under the umbrella of The Villages Community District. According to a friend of the homeowner Pooters even had some official looking document from the State stating artificial grass is OK so I don't blame the homeowner I blame Pooters. It's a shame The Villages continue 100% blaming the homeowner. How can The Villages let this continue. Pooters was well
aware of the deed restrictions. It's up to us Villagers to watch our own backs. Any credible landscape company will advise the homeowner to get approval from Architectual Review."
njbchbum, As I recall the owner of the property was happy with the way this situation was resolved. I might also add the Pooters is a member of the BBB and gets an A+ rating.

nibchbum, have you had work done by Pooters that YOU can talk discuss?

I have already PM'd the OP on the Pooters thread. And to be honest, I am using them BECAUSE after the error, the customer was a satisfied customer. I for one think that is more important. How does a company handle a mistake when they make one, because they all do!

I am hiring Pooters to do work for me. I will take and post pictures for all to see and judge. But until you have had work done by them, I would wish you wouldn't hurt their business. The complaint was from a neighbor NOT the person who had contracted Pooters. The person Pooters had done the work for did not indicate they were in fact out any money and that they were not happy with the end product!

I might also add that even though The Villages restricts how much real grass on the lawns. Most states consider artificial turf as being "green".
Old 12-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

whoa, angie! what's up with YOU this morning?!? i simply provided the link to the entire thread for the OP as another source of information!

am glad that a liveable resolution was reached - am glad you pm'd the op - am happy for you that you are using pooters.

and who cares that "Most states consider artificial turf as being 'green'. "?

have a great day!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Angie fox while we appreciate you being an advocate of Pooter, the fact remains the event happened for only the TOTV did it get moved on. Plain and simple. Nobody is out to hurt anyone the word had to get out to avoid anymore misunderstandings.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I really think it would be wise to get permission from ARC first before ANYONE puts down artificial turf.

I don't think it is allowed. This is a different way of government here.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post

LW888
All I know - my artificial dog would like that artificial turf. But my real dog, well, she only likes the real thing. It's all about the nose and all the great smells in the grass.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
whoa, angie! what's up with YOU this morning?!? i simply provided the link to the entire thread for the OP as another source of information!

am glad that a liveable resolution was reached - am glad you pm'd the op - am happy for you that you are using pooters.

and who cares that "Most states consider artificial turf as being 'green'. "?

have a great day!
Providing the link would have been enough.........dragging up the original post on this new thread wasn't necessary. Have to agree with angie.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Sage
Default I don't know!

Because of the thread, I have hired Pooters to do my work. It better be good because, I'm putting my money on it!

Here is what the owner of the property said about the original post.

I am the homeowner in question and I would like to clarify somethings. We are in talks with Pooters to resolve this issue. Pooters has been very cooperative with us and we thank you for your concern for us, but feel that we will be able to resolve this situation with Pooters to the satisfaction of both parties. Please do not bad mouth Pooters. This is their livelihood and we don't want them to be hurt. Again we will hopefully rectify this matter on Sunday when we meet with Clint & Kelly. I will post the results of our meeting.

There is another thread where he posted that it was all resolved.

People who did not know Pooters were pretty harsh and the people who did were not. I think I will listen to the one's who know him.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but we are talking about a mans livelihood. I saw pictures which I might mention that no one on this thread pated.

I was in agreement with the rest of the crowd until pooters and the homeowner came on the thread and commented. Ahhhh the other side of the story. And you know what... It wasn't as bad as it looked to the rest of us. I can't tell you how many times I've had service done (when I was young and old) that when a mistake was made, the response was "oh well". Many by reputable companies. I think I want to do business with someone who will try to work with me to fix it!

*deep breath* NAMASTE! *bow*
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum member
Default Artificial turf and odors?

I am just wondering if anyone has actual experience in having their dogs use artifical turf for an extended period of time. Even if you rinse it down, with the high heat and humidity, do the odors become so unpleasant, right next to your lanai, that you wish you had stayed with real grass? Anyone try it yet?

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I am just wondering if anyone has actual experience in having their dogs use artifical turf for an extended period of time. Even if you rinse it down, with the high heat and humidity, do the odors become so unpleasant, right next to your lanai, that you wish you had stayed with real grass? Anyone try it yet?
Good question!

Artificial turf is used in many doggie day cares and dog runs as well as some dog parks. Because of the Pooters thread, I did research on this and talked to some of the doggie day cares in my area to see how they liked it. It got a two thumbs up for cleanliness and odor. You don't just rinse it down. It doesn't set on concrete but instead on gravel and rock so that it drains.

I think it's a GREAT alternative to the whole "who's pooping on my lawn" issue in TV. In fact had I known about it before, I would have had it done here years ago!

Thanks for asking!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Platinum member
Default Thanks Angie

Thanks for the additional info re: kennels using artificial turf. You said they don't just rinse it down - what else do they do? And I'd like to leave the odor question open to see if there any people who actually have artificial turf for their dogs in their back yard, near their lanai. Thanks again.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 12-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Sage

You are correct, would wash it. If you don't, it WILL smell. I meant that it's on gravel an rock so that it drains just as a yard would. If you don't "wash" and clean your grass, it will smell. The same thing happens to turf.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Wasn't the reason for all the controversial posts is that The Villages made them take up the artificial turf?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.