Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default The attacks on the embassys.

Should be discussed.

Is that considered political?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I personally believe current events like this that have potential effect on our lives and the future of our country should be allowable content.

Most of us adults can have a discussion of current events, TV oriented or non TV oriented without partisan promoting dialogue. Those posters who abuse the intentions of a given thread should be dealt with accordingly....specifically, one on one by the admin.

btk
Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Should be discussed.

Is that considered political?
I totally AGREE. I also wondered and ended up not posting anything.
I already have a "warning" and never ever even looked at the POLITICAL forum....nor posted.

As far as embassy or consulate safety, I was just thinking a few days before this attack occurred......wondering if on 911 anyone would attempt an attack on our foreign embassy or consulate. Reason being is that we have a young friend , daughter of a neighbor of ours, whom we've known since childhood..........who went away to Georgetown Univ., then studied Arabic in Egypt, Syria, Jordan, etc.........and is now vice consul at the American Consulate or Embassy in Lagos Nigeria. She's under thirty years old; single gal. I do worry. Lagos Nigeria is not a great place to be, but it's her first assignment. She interviews those looking to get visas to leave the country. On 911, I thought "How easy it was for the pilots and such to gain access to our country; they even took flight lessons in Venice Florida".
Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

I agree wth you Billethkid, but unfortunately, I think it will turn political. Some people just won't respect the rules and then the admin has to "babysit".
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Sage

I have a friend whose daughter was in Afghanistan for a year...it was her last outside assignment...she is now in DC. But she wasn't even allowed to be in the "embassy" in Afghanistan. Her family, consisting of husband and children in addition to parents, was not allowed to visit. You have to have nerves of steel to do those jobs and parents have to be kicking themselves for letting them pursue those avenues. Talk about a nail biter career.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Hung around with a Muslim from Mosul, Iraq while getting a M.A. at the University of Denver in Librarianship and Information Management. He was reasonable about just about everything except Islam. There were other Arabs you could joke about religion at the University of Denver; with my friend Mahmood though, his outlook on religion was almost medieval. It permeated every aspect of his life from how many times he prayed each day, what he ate, what he watched on the television, what he read, etc. He would not even allow other men to be in the same room as his wife.

Kind of hard for many Americans to understand just how deep some Muslims beliefs are. Maybe, if you are a Member of the Amish faith you would get that kind of mindset.

I tried writing my friend from Mosul for a while but his letters became more and more hateful of the West after he moved back to Iraq in 1984.

Of course, I never would have joked about Mohammad with a man who had his whole family line named after Mohammad.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Default embassy attacks

Its sad when some "nut case" can make a movie that other people around the world think speaks for American people.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvalcq View Post
Its sad when some "nut case" can make a movie that other people around the world think speaks for American people.
It sounded like some Egyptian shock jock had caused a lot of this violence by fanning the flames of Coptic Christian/Muslim tension in Egypt using this movie as fuel.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Sage

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens | United States Diplomatic Mission to Nigeria

Message for American Citizens | United States Diplomatic Mission to Nigeria

To ease my mind (doubtful) I found the websites. First link above is warning to all U.S. Citizens in Nigeria where our young friend is; second link is regarding other warnings ALL OVER.
It was posted September 12, 2012 the day after the Consulate attack in Libya.

First link does not gloss over the horror of what occurred in Libya; it also mentions how Nigerian extremists were destroying cell phone towers, etc.

She's probably busy instructing visitors how to stay safe. She's a vice consul to the consulate general in Lagos. It's truly amazing what world travelers our little town has produced.

Perhaps it is because when one is raised in a city or near a city, they experience enough diversity without seeking it out.
Yet many of our young "country raised" folks choose to travel to third world countries.......not Las Vegas or some such luxury vacation..........but to the ends of the earth such as our son has done.....and a lot of our young friends.
We were just happy to go to the Jersey shore when young.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There have been movies and articles published on both sides of these issues. And hopefully they will continue. I have not seen or even read what the supposed offensive movie is about, but that is kind of what freedom of the press is all about. Lots of folks have given their lives to protect the rights of people like all of us that allow us to express our beliefs.

The real issue is the violence that some sectors take when something comes out they do not agree with. And for reasons I do not fully understand it is very prevalent with the Muslim religion. Why is this movie any different then the Michael Moore movies that make fun of Christians? Calling the creator of the movie a "nut case" might be correct or not. But I still believe in his or her right to do it.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
There have been movies and articles published on both sides of these issues. And hopefully they will continue. I have not seen or even read what the supposed offensive movie is about, but that is kind of what freedom of the press is all about. Lots of folks have given their lives to protect the rights of people like all of us that allow us to express our beliefs.

The real issue is the violence that some sectors take when something comes out they do not agree with. And for reasons I do not fully understand it is very prevalent with the Muslim religion. Why is this movie any different then the Michael Moore movies that make fun of Christians? Calling the creator of the movie a "nut case" might be correct or not. But I still believe in his or her right to do it.
Innocence of Muslims - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem is with whom the movie is targeted. This is about the same as walking into a movie theater with flaming red hair would be in Colorado. There is free speech but there are also words or actions meant to cause extremely violent emotions with their audiences. This does look like that kind of movie.

Doubt if many people would defend the right of someone to walk into a movie theater in Colorado with flaming red hair. Context is very important with respect to the right of free speech and its limitations.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Doing a search on the Internet will yield many sites/articles that insult Islam, so why this one? I think someone (previously referred to as a shock jock) can pick a posted issue and stir up the masses. Unfortunately this will probably be the norm in the future.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Sage

I would love to discuss, but also have already had a "political" warning. Let me suffice it to say I am very, very concerned about what is going on and believe this is only the beginning of what we are about to face.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Doing a search on the Internet will yield many sites/articles that insult Islam, so why this one? I think someone (previously referred to as a shock jock) can pick a posted issue and stir up the masses. Unfortunately this will probably be the norm in the future.
It seems more about where this shock jock was and the content of the movie The Innocence of Muslims.

Hopefully, wiser people will prevail with toning down the emotions.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 AM
TOTV Moderator

If anyone questions whether they can start a thread on any topic, this question should be sent to the Admin, not asked in an open forum. Please keep in mind that, (1) other posters cannot answer this question; and (2) it is a violation of the TOTV terms of service to discuss moderator actions and decisions.

For this reason, this thread is closed. Please direct inquiries about what is allowed to the Administrator account.

For future reference, current events such as Embassy attacks are not political and may be discussed in a non-political context. Feel free to open a thread about the topic itself, not about whether the topic is allowed. When in doubt, ask the Admin before opening a thread.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.