Attic Storage - Do's and Don'ts

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Just purchased a new home that I will close on in a few weeks - I’m thinking I’m just going to keep my attic clear - as I get older, I don’t want to be going up and down attic stairs and Schleping things up and down. I’m in the process of down-sizing now, and don’t plan to bring a lot of “stuff” with me to TV. Also, I plan to install some garage cabinets to store the few items that I will be taking with me.
This is our plan. We don’t need to be schlepping up and down a ladder. We only have a 16’ POD-like container coming when we move in next month, and the Veranda home we bought is bigger than our former home. No need for attic storage. 😊
Old 11-24-2022, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
I'm currently "up north" , and while I'm cleaning out my attic for my TV move, I'd just like to get some recommended rules of thumb from you for what CAN be stored in the attic. My attic never gets boiling hot in the summer, but that's not going to be the case in Florida.

So I'm wondering about the location (if space is available) "closet", "garage" or "attic" for the following:
  • Luggage with plastic wheels (hard plastic or canvas suitcases)
  • Christmas ornaments (wood, glass, plastic)
  • Extra knicknacks (glass, wood)
  • Papers (e.g. CC statements, old legal docs, tax returns)

I'm also guessing that cardboard boxes for storage are not recommended either? Rubbermaid or plastic file boxes are okay?

Many thanks in advance,

Kevin
A big thing to consider is how you plan on getting stuff up into the attic. The typical fold down attic stairs that many people have installed are not really safe.
There is a quality fold down electrically system that costs around 3,000.

I've put more of the wire shelves into the closets. That plastic shelving I have like ten of them in our garage. Be sure there is still room for your car. I've seen some great shelf systems that install above your car. There is a great deal of space there that people do not even consider.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

We were in our previous home for 40 years and I am a pack rat. We had 4-5 garage sales and I did minimum of 2,000 a day. One man's trash is another mans treasure. Lots of stuff can be recycled. Copper is like 2.30 a pound. Wife just throw it out. Trip to a place that buys scrap. Here is $200 I got for it.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Do you have to put in flooring? Stairs? Are the beams smaller than up North. My guess is they are. Pay attention to weight. From what you said I do not see a problem. Consider storage racks you hang from the ceiling. Might be easier to get too. I would not store the paper in non A/C space. Sorry! Something went wrong! Link does work and goes to Amazon.
Closed Thread

Tags
attic, plastic, storage, glass, recommended

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.