Auto Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunner View Post
Again, it is hard to believe that a GEICO representative would recommend this for any reason other than premium savings. Uninsured Motorists/Underinsured Motorists coverage is for YOU. To pay YOU in case the at fault party is uninsured or under insured. Florida doesn't even require automobile owners to carry any Bodily Injury liability. Further, look at the statistics of how many, what percentage, of drivers are driving on the roads of Florida with no insurance. It is one of the reasons that this coverage can be more expensive in FL.

When you check into the hospital, they will ask two important questions. One related to if your injury is work related (i.e. covered by workers' compensation) and second if your injury is related to an automobile accident (i.e. covered by automobile insurance). If the answer is "Yes" to either, you could be triggering the "Other Insurance" clause of a policy. Meaning if there is other insurance to pay for the injury OR should have been other insurance to pay for the injury, that, in this case, your health insurance policy might not be the first to respond...and may not pay or may wait to pay until all other insurance policies that are applicable have been (investigated) and exhausted. When you drop the UI/UIM coverage, you sign a rejection of coverage. Does that/can that impact your health insurance?

Please don't take the OP advice until you have all the answers to these questions. My opinion is buy it and buy as much of it as you can. It is coverage to protect YOU!

P.S. Golf Cart insurance coverage is not standard. Many policies do not cover UI/UIM coverage whatsoever. Even if you cover your cart under your auto policy. You need to check your policy.

P.P.S. Many Umbrella Liability policies don't cover over Uninsured Motorists / Underinsured Motorists Coverage. They can though. If they do, they will require that you carry the high underlying limits threshold. If it is offered as an option under an Umbrella Liability policy, the additional premium is usually small.
I have never heard of a health insurance policy that would not cover injuries related to an automobile accident. The only thing an uninsured motorist claim will cover is for a passenger who does not have health insurance, or if you want to try to get money for pain and suffering. If you don't care about these things, then you don't need uninsured motorist insurance.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:20 AM
Sage

We don't have any heirs- when we pass everything goes to charity-not interested in building our estate--just protecting it
Old 09-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
We don't have any heirs- when we pass everything goes to charity-not interested in building our estate--just protecting it
GEICO is a very low rated insurance company. Thanks to owner, Warren Buffet. Your paying for all the advertising. Screw you if they have to payout, just a scam. Good luck if you place a claim.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Just in case you change your my last name is Castellano.

Last edited by Nucky; 09-29-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Sage

We're leaving everything to Homes For Heroes, Fischer House, Salvation Army , Seeing eye Dogs, and Service Dog Training
Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Just in case you change your my last name is Castellano.

How was your steak ?
The Villages Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2017, 11:31 AM

I am not inferring that your health insurance policy will not pay for coverage from an automobile injury, however, in the event of an auto accident injury, your health insurance is never primary insurance, but secondary insurance.

Read your own health insurance policy. Especially the clauses that are titled Coordination of Benefits (other insurance) and the Subrogation and Right of Reimbursement.

Coordination of Benefits is a limitation of coverage and/or benefits to be provided. It is designed to avoid duplication of payment for Covered Services and/or supplies.

An excerpt from my policy:

The following rules shall be used to establish the order in which benefits under the respective plans will be determined:
1. This plan always pays secondary to any medical payment, personal injury protection (PIP) coverage or no-fault coverage under any automobile policy available to you.

Subrogation and Right of Reimbursement states that if benefits are paid under the Contract for expenses incurred due to Third Party Injuries, then the insurer retains the right to repayment of the full cost of all benefits provided under the Contract on your behalf that are associated with the Third Party Injuries.

We may recover the full cost of all benefits paid by us under this Contract without regard to any claim of fault on your part, whether by comparative negligence or otherwise. In the event you or your representative fails to cooperate with us, you shall be responsible for all benefits provided by us under this Contract in addition to costs and attorney’s fees incurred by us in obtaining repayment.

The bottom line is that your health insurance carrier does not want to be the first in line to pay for your auto accident injuries. You will have to do a lot of "cooperating" with them to help them get reimbursed by any at-fault third party. If you don't, they will stop paying and come back to you for 100% of the benefits they have paid under the health insurance plus their legal fees.

Having UM/UIM coverage under your automobile insurance transfers your rights and responsibility to go after the at-fault third party to your auto insurance carrier. UM/UIM covers all passengers in the car, including the driver.

It still remains a personal choice. My choice is to carry high UM/UIM limits under my auto policy. Make yours an informed choice.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
How was your steak ?
The Villages Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We switched to Lobster. No Mo Steak, we never get to eat it.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We switched to Lobster. No Mo Steak, we never get to eat it.

Very close to a violation.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunner View Post
I am not inferring that your health insurance policy will not pay for coverage from an automobile injury, however, in the event of an auto accident injury, your health insurance is never primary insurance, but secondary insurance.

Read your own health insurance policy. Especially the clauses that are titled Coordination of Benefits (other insurance) and the Subrogation and Right of Reimbursement.

Coordination of Benefits is a limitation of coverage and/or benefits to be provided. It is designed to avoid duplication of payment for Covered Services and/or supplies.

The following rules shall be used to establish the order in which benefits under the respective plans will be determined:
1. This plan always pays secondary to any medical payment, personal injury protection (PIP) coverage or no-fault coverage under any automobile policy available to you.

Subrogation and Right of Reimbursement states that if benefits are paid under the Contract for expenses incurred due to Third Party Injuries, then the insurer retains the right to repayment of the full cost of all benefits provided under the Contract on your behalf that are associated with the Third Party Injuries.

We may recover the full cost of all benefits paid by us under this Contract without regard to any claim of fault on your part, whether by comparative negligence or otherwise. In the event you or your representative fails to cooperate with us, you shall be responsible for all benefits provided by us under this Contract in addition to costs and attorney’s fees incurred by us in obtaining repayment.

The bottom line is that your health insurance carrier does not want to be the first in line to pay for your auto accident injuries. You will have to do a lot of "cooperating" with them to help them get reimbursed by any at-fault third party. If you don't, they will stop paying and come back to you for 100% of the benefits they have paid under the health insurance plus their legal fees.

Having UM/UIM coverage under your automobile insurance transfers your rights and responsibility to go after the at-fault third party to your auto insurance carrier. UM/UIM covers all passengers in the car, including the driver.

It still remains a personal choice. My choice is to carry high UM/UIM limits under my auto policy. Make yours an informed choice.
I totally agree that you should make an informed decision. But, most people are paying for uninsured motorist insurance because they have no idea what it does and doesn't cover. Those people are not making an informed decision. And, their insurance agent doesn't want them to know the facts.

Regarding health insurance, I don't think an insurance company is going to spend a lot of time trying to collect money from an uninsured motorist. You can't get blood from a turnip.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Sage

I get the idea that Medicare will deny paying for immediate medical treatment after an accident until the auto or golf car insurance has paid. So how do you get authorization from the auto/golf cart insurance? I've wondered why the facility is so interested in where the injury occurred., was it at Wal-Mart, in an accident, or at home? If at home, or in some 3rd World Country, no problem.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So anyone have insurance background? I do but it's not in Florida. So is Florida an at fault state or a no fault state. Check your health insurance policy, some do not cover auto accidents at all.

At this time we have auto insurance from a no fault state, our current health insurance does not pay for any auto related accidents. When speaking to a bonded and licensed insurance agent it is they're bound duty to explain your policy in full. They have knowledge of health insurance companies, who pays for auto and who doesn't. When starting a new policy the top 5 questions they ask is who is your health insurance carrier. As soon as it it plugged into the computer they know what coverage you have.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:41 PM
Sage

A related question. Let's say for 6 months you hardly drive your car and the other six months you drive a lot, up north, everywhere. How often can you reduce your coverages and then raise them again in one year?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
A related question. Let's say for 6 months you hardly drive your car and the other six months you drive a lot, up north, everywhere. How often can you reduce your coverages and then raise them again in one year?
Depends on if you have a 6 month policy, or one year policy. You can reduce anything you want, if you store a car not driven, it's usually 30 days before reinstating. Unless you stop driving altogether I would not change my policy. 5 miles or 500 miles an accident can happen anywhere.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
We have a mega umbrella
I would call them and see if they have a problem. These policies usually specify levels of underlying insurance.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance-, motorist, saves, close, advised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.