Auto vs Golf Cart in Tamarind Grove

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Unhappy Auto vs Golf Cart in Tamarind Grove

Briefly witnessed in passing yesterday afternoon:
What appeared to be the aftermath of another serious auto vs golf cart accident at the intersection of St Charles and Tamarind Grove Run. Severely damaged golf cart clearly visible in diamond lane along with lesser damaged auto. Multiple emergency vehicles on scene with flashing lights, including Police cars, fire trucks, paramedic vans, and Community Watch. Traffic on St Charles closed down to one lane.
This was around 4:30 PM yesterday afternoon (Friday).
Anyone out there know any details?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 AM

So sad. We heard the sirens and helicopter.

St Chares and Tamarind Grove needs a stop sign or light, too much traffic, very dangerous trying to exit.

The folks will be in our prayers and thoughts.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 AM

Yes, that is a bad intersection. I hope the people involved will be OK. Does anyone know how to go about requesting a stop sign or traffic light?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Gold member

Very sad indeed. As I watched a stretcher being placed into the medivac chopper I wondered how many accidents is it going to take to have a light put at that intersection? I live in TG and that intersection can be very dangerous! A lot of traffic, speeding trucks, etc. slow down!

My thoughts and prayers to all those injured...
Old 05-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Maybe

Maybe a petition signed by residents and then bring it to a Sumter County meeting at Colony rec center or show up there in mass at a town meeting. There is a time period when residents are allowed to speak. Something needs to be done as there have been WAY to many accidents in that area already.

Just hope those envolved are OK. I know by the radio report the helicopter was called for the GC victim.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 AM

Something definitely needs to be done at that intersection. This is the same intersection where a man was killed last year on his golf cart when a worker ran the stop sign.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Another person hurt due to an accident on the streets.

The car ran the stop sign according to this morning's paper.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-22-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Sage

Unfortunately, a traffic study conducted after the fatal accident last summer determined that a traffic light was not needed. County said that stretch of road did not meet the criteria used for that determination.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Default Traffic Light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Unfortunately, a traffic study conducted after the fatal accident last summer determined that a traffic light was not needed. County said that stretch of road did not meet the criteria used for that determination.
Nor will it ever. If so, we would have stop lights everywhere. The sad part is human error cannot be corrected other than by those whom error. Hope all involved are ok.

Mallory Square, Village of Hadley and now Gilchrist!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt and Gail View Post
Nor will it ever. If so, we would have stop lights everywhere. The sad part is human error cannot be corrected other than by those whom error. Hope all involved are ok.
Well, that particular intersection has had numerous serious accidents (including the aforementioned fatal accident last May) in just one year. I was by there shortly after the accident yesterday, too. Someone said that, yet again, a car blew through a stop sign. I don't know what it is about that intersection, but for some reason, people don't recognize and stop at the stop signs. Something needs to be done to make that intersection less dangerous.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Sage

Sorry to hear about another accident. Hope the folks are OK.

Maybe they could put a speed bump or rumble strips on TG as you approach the stop sign at St Charles.

When the construction activity lessens, things should get a little better with fewer big trucks.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I often pass that intersection in my golf cart going to and from Sterling Heights. It is a scary intersection, and even more dangerous than the St. Charles and Pennecamp intersection where there was another serious accident a few weeks ago. If a red light signal is not authorized, perhaps another solution could be suggested like a traffic signal that blinks yellow on St. Charles and blinks red on Tamarind Grove.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Dangerous intersections, they won't worry about. BUT a blanket 15 MPH and 20 MPH speed limit they pass without a blink of an eyelash! A much bigger revenue raiser for the local cops and county!! Its politics, follow the money stream and you will get your answer as to how fast changes will be made..
Case in point: Delmar & Rio Grande intersection. They seem to have a car accident there every three months or so, but for over 16 years they have been "studying " the need for a 4 way stop. Maybe this July it may come to pass.
A nice safety issue, but not much income unless a cop sits there all day watching for rolling stops, or whatever. Also the forced stop on Rio Grande will slow speeds down and ruin a good speed trap area.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Driving in TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We have far too many of these accidents here. I hope and pray that we hear that the persons involved are going to be alright.

I believe the roads belong to the county. Petitions to the CDD probably won't help.

Swimdawg? I know you were instrumental in having a traffic light installed at the entrance to your subdivision near Buffalo, New York.

Please tell us how you went about it.

Also I ride with Swimdawg when she is here. She does not pull out in traffic to turn unless she sees a very clear distance to do so. I try to do that too. Ignore any beeps behind you. Life is too short to take a chance.
I think this is a different situation, Gracie. Yes, I was responsible for getting a traffic signal at one of the busiest roads in Western New York....Niagara Falls Blvd . I was risking my life trying to make a left hand turn from my area. I went thru politicians who told me no traffic signal was needed....and finally ended up dealing with the NYS D.O.T.....who told me "no". I insisted they do a traffic study and after a lot of communication, they finally agreed to do the study (probably to get me off their back!). Bottom line...traffic study done and shortly thereafter, The Swimdawg traffic signal was installed.

But....TV traffic situation is a totally different ballgame. From my personal experience, I see vehicles zipping down St. Charles and the drivers are not paying attention. The golf cart people are as guilty as the car drivers. I think we all need to be more careful....and more attentive. Defensive driving is so important....and I think the older we get, the slower our reflexes are and our vision isn't quite as sharp.

Be careful, folks! Drive defensively....and there will be fewer accidents. I do err on the side of caution when driving. I'm not in a hurry for my own funeral!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Default Flashing Light

If just a flashing red light or flashing light on the stop sign. If it would save one person then it would be worth it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.