Rental advice for newbie

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2021, 03:27 PM
Location: Currently Genesee, Colorado but selling house soon and heading out in a van. We’ll be in TV in Kct
Default Rental advice for newbie

Good day everyone. I have read a lot of posts about renting my new home and have put together some great stuff. Thing is there is SO MUCH to consider and I have very little time to do this if I want to get started right away.
I would greatly appreciate it if I could talk to some folks who have rented their home by themselves.
It is a brand new home with new furniture and we are going to allow dogs of any size so if you allow pets that would be even better. Please... no replies about not allowing pets we are dog lovers and want those who have fur babies to have a place to rent with a fenced back yard.
My head starts spinning when I think about how much I haven’t considered. Utilities, lawn service, repairman on call, management, should I include the cart, etc. So any help from some kind Villagers would be so so appreciated.
Thank you and if you would prefer to call my number is 303-915-3378. We’ll be there in one week to close.
Jim

Last edited by CaptainMeso; 04-15-2021 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling errors
Old 04-18-2021, 05:46 PM
Default Are you still interested in renting your home in The Villages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMeso View Post
Good day everyone. I have read a lot of posts about renting my new home and have put together some great stuff. Thing is there is SO MUCH to consider and I have very little time to do this if I want to get started right away.
I would greatly appreciate it if I could talk to some folks who have rented their home by themselves.
It is a brand new home with new furniture and we are going to allow dogs of any size so if you allow pets that would be even better. Please... no replies about not allowing pets we are dog lovers and want those who have fur babies to have a place to rent with a fenced back yard.
My head starts spinning when I think about how much I haven’t considered. Utilities, lawn service, repairman on call, management, should I include the cart, etc. So any help from some kind Villagers would be so so appreciated.
Thank you and if you would prefer to call my number is 303-915-3378. We’ll be there in one week to close.
Jim
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
Hi Jim -
I saw your posting when you first posted. At that time we had just put our home up for sale here in the Boston area and now have a signed P&S and if all goes according to schedule we will close on our home July 25th and head to The Villages to rent for 3 months while we look around . We have rented in the winters and even a summer in the past and now will be looking to purchase a home there! I saw your posting that you were interested in renting your home and LOVE DOGS.....we have Ollie our Golden Retriever who is 8yrs. old and knows his house manners ...................did you find someone to rent your home or did you decide to have a property management company care for it until you arrived later in October?
My husband, myself and Ollie are looking to rent from July1st to September 30th while we look around at all the areas - if you are interested still in renting please share with us what is included in the rental and what we would pay. If you have pictures to share that too would be good
My email is Nancybutterly1@gmail.com
G.Frank and I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards,
Nancy and Frank

Last edited by Tripngirl; 04-18-2021 at 05:51 PM. Reason: to long
Old 04-18-2021, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

///

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 04-18-2021 at 08:16 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 04-19-2021, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMeso View Post
Jim
We rented our place for 2 years before we moved down. We do monthly minimums. I suspect Airbnb type places get pretty destroyed.

There are a lot of things to make your house rental ready.

A few things made it much easier for us.

- Nest Hello doorbell. I turn the camera off when renters are in but it's on the rest of the time.
-Surveillance cameras on the house. Again, unplugged while renters are in.
-Wifi thermostat. Will notify you when temps go out of range, like the AC failing in July.
-Flume water monitor. Installs at your meter. Will notify you of leaks and water usage.
-Chamberlain wifi garage door opener. Can remotely open and close the garage. I have the cart maintenance people come get the cart. I open the garage for them, they get it, close the door. The latest ones have a camera but I have a different camera in the garage.
-Digital door locks. I have a keypad lock to gain access to the home. This prevents anyone from copying keys. The batteries last longer than a wifi opener so I didn't go with WiFi here. Now that I live in TV I may switch to Wifi on our rental property. Each guest gets a unique code.
-Wifi Irrigation controller. If your flume indicates that you are using a lot of water during irrigation, you can shut off a zone. It also doesn't irrigate if rain is forcast and can irrigate more seasonally if it's hot. Great controllers!
-The TVs are all Wifi, one uses a Roku. We got a Hulu subscription. (Hulu + Live TV) rather than cable.
-We do offer a cart. You can charge a little more and it'll get rented easier. No doubt there's an expense to it, but carts last a long time and you can use the car yourself when you are in town.
-We have slip covers for the couches when people have dogs. We ask the renters to wash them if they get soiled and ask that people keep up on the pet hair. We do charge a fee for pet cleaning. We don't do cats as both my wife and I are really allergic to them. I don't hate cats, they just set off my asthma. Until recently it was our only home in TV, so cats would be a problem for us.
-Our rental is tiled so carpets getting pee'd on isn't an issue for us. We do have some area rugs, but haven't had an issue.

We use fernview farms for weeds.
We had a service cut the grass
We use Superior pest for bugs

We also took the opportunity to fly down for long weekends between tenants. Mini-vacation and finish on cleaning.

Major repairs(like AC or soil pipe, etc.) you need to call someone anyway, so we didn't particularly worry about that. Fortunately nothing happened. Everything else I did like leaky toilet flaps, irrigation pipes and heads, etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, call, pets, back, babies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.