Away from home

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2023, 10:26 PM
Default Away from home

I need someone to check my home when I am not here. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 03-04-2023, 11:26 PM

The Villages Community Watch has a program where they can check your house when you are away. I think it's 2 or 3 times a week (been awhile since I used it). They check the doors and walk around the outside of the house and look at the windows, etc. They do not enter your home. It's a little over $5 a week. Was great before we moved down here and they call you right away if anything is off. They usually want you to have a key holder down here, that can check on things if they find an issue. You can print out the application online or just stop by their office to fill it out. You pay up front for the amount of time you want the service. Here's the link: Village Community Development Districts
Old 03-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajete View Post
I need someone to check my home when I am not here. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Joe Byers. Blue Line Services. 352-391-2894. Joe is an ex-law enforcement officer who provides transportation for Villagers to and from various destinations. He also offers house watching. In my experience, ultra reliable.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,211 Times in 1,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystwarien View Post
The Villages Community Watch has a program where they can check your house when you are away. I think it's 2 or 3 times a week (been awhile since I used it). They check the doors and walk around the outside of the house and look at the windows, etc. They do not enter your home. It's a little over $5 a week. Was great before we moved down here and they call you right away if anything is off. They usually want you to have a key holder down here, that can check on things if they find an issue. You can print out the application online or just stop by their office to fill it out. You pay up front for the amount of time you want the service. Here's the link: Village Community Development Districts
To the OP.......if you are going to be away for any length of time such as over a month, consider a company that will check the inside of your home too. You need toilets flushed, faucets turned on, HVAC system cooling/heating/ dehumidifying your home, etc. Lot's of things to be checked on.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
To the OP.......if you are going to be away for any length of time such as over a month, consider a company that will check the inside of your home too. You need toilets flushed, faucets turned on, HVAC system cooling/heating/ dehumidifying your home, etc. Lot's of things to be checked on.
Gone for a month….turn the water off!
Old 03-06-2023, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,211 Times in 1,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Gone for a month….turn the water off!
We turn off the water off at the main when we are gone for a week-end. All it takes is a pin hole in the fridge water line and you can come home to a flood. Happened to a neighbor of mine in New Jersey.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,365 Times in 744 Posts

I am an advocate of remote monitoring.

- I had a home check service and they didn't check the home for three months. They would send pictures of the exterior but never entered. Confirmed by the home alarm.

- Shutting off the water is not an option if you have a pool auto fill but the Flume water monitor is.

-The Sense brand energy monitor will tell you if your ac or other systems (fridge, etc.) are not functioning

- A smart thermostat will provide temp and humidity data.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:55 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajete View Post
The Villages has a "Empty Nest" program that assigns someone to watch over you residence. If there is any electrical needs, we work together with those companies while you are away as well. Pike's Electric - pikeselectric.com
Closed Thread

Tags
home, check, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.