Back-up generators, game changer

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Using the Tesla website calculator and my own SECO bills it would take between 3 and 4 PowerWall batteries to power my designer house for 1 day. The cost would be between $17,000 and $23,000.

The 7 day estimate is only valid for a house that also has solar power installed and assumes that system can, on average, generate enough energy to provide a days worth of electricity.

Powerwall | The Tesla Home Battery
Yes, I should have said with solar.

As for cost, I believed this thread was about backup power. Anything that provides us with electricity will have a cost. If the deciding factor is purely having electricity in the home, you must pay a serious price whether it’s generators, Tesla, solar, hydroelectric or windmills. TV homes are VERY close together. Personally I’ve very sensitive to how I impact my neighbors. If their bedroom were on the side I would put a generator, than I will not get a generator. I would rather do without power for a day or two than subject my neighbor to the noise of an/my engine right behind their bed. That’s just me.

If I had someone in the house with a medical need for cool air, or refrigerated meds, or respiratory issues, that would trump my need to be neighborly and I would install a generator. Since it’s just me and I hate sleeping in the heat (I keep my home 65-68), still I will live if I don’t have AC for couple days. I would probably go to a hotel.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
Well said. Propane is the next best thing to Natural Gas for fueling a backup generator.
20 LB tank will last only 8-9 hours
Would you really want to store multiple tanks of propane
Old 01-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
They are not speaking of the little propane tanks that fuel your grill. They are referring to buried 500 lb tanks that are allowed in TV.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I would be more concerned about a next door neighbor installing a pool and putting the pump equipment near my bedroom window. There should be restrictions on that.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
They are not speaking of the little propane tanks that fuel your grill. They are referring to buried 500 lb tanks that are allowed in TV.
With frequent ground strikes by lightning
yea I would run with that one
Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:

Been here 6 years and never heard of a large in ground propane tank getting lit off by lightning. Sumter County makes you pull permits for the propane installation, as well as for the electrical installation. Ground is checked and gas lines and tank are pressure tested. ARC must approve before permits are pulled. Yup, I would run with that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-14-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
The tanks will be permanent and filled with a tanker truck with a hose. I am truly surprised that they allow as you noted in your reply, but have no reason to disagree. Propane is highly flammable with a boiling point of minus 44 degrees F. Also with a flash point of minus 155 degrees F. Which means any spark plugs at least 2.1% propane in air will ignite. Underground metal tanks eventually will rust which is why the testing is required. I remember the time I submitted a request to my boss to attend a "LUST" conference. Leaking Underground Storage Tanks. If your buying a home and the neighbor has a buried propane tank....suggest to walk. One unknowingly landscaper with a metal shovel and it would be catastrophic. Not to mention the nuisance noise from the programmed test run of the back up generator. Please note many of the middle of the line back up generators have motors with 4 cylinders, the size of a small car engine, including radiators and exhaust pipes....just like a car engine.
It would be very interesting if someone could confirm if there is a public record of buried tanks and their respective testing records.

Last edited by TNGary; 01-14-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You bury a larger tank in the ground. Its been done here in Stonecrest. Perfectly safe. You could use 20 LB. Bottles. How long those bottles last is up to you. I was not here for the last Hurricane. If Natural Gas is available its the better choice. But if I had to choose between Gasoline and Propane, I'll take the Propane. Its a far safer choice. They actually made deliveries of Propane one week after the Hurricane. When the hurricane season is over I'd use the propane for the grill. If I put in a generator I'd bury a tank. Hook it to the grill and the generator. You use power differently in an emergency. My neighbor purchased a small window air conditioner. With his generator he ran a few lights, the window air conditioner at night, and the refrigerator. Had ice and refrigeration. Power was back on 3 days later in our area. The worst case was 7 days in another part of the complex. We also have a few people who are totally off the power grid.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGary View Post
The tanks will be permanent and filled with a tanker truck with a hose. I am truly surprised that they allow as you noted in your reply, but have no reason to disagree. Propane is highly flammable with a boiling point of minus 44 degrees F. Also with a flash point of minus 155 degrees F. Which means any spark plugs at least 2.1% propane in air will ignite. Underground metal tanks eventually will rust which is why the testing is required. I remember the time I submitted a request to my boss to attend a "LUST" conference. Leaking Underground Storage Tanks. If your buying a home and the neighbor has a buried propane tank....suggest to walk. One unknowingly landscaper with a metal shovel and it would be catastrophic. Not to mention the nuisance noise from the programmed test run of the back up generator. Please note many of the middle of the line back up generators have motors with 4 cylinders, the size of a small car engine, including radiators and exhaust pipes....just like a car engine.
It would be very interesting if someone could confirm if there is a public record of buried tanks and their respective testing records.
The only way you have a problem with a buried LP Tank is if you rupture the tank. The mixture inside the tank is too rich to ignite. The size of the rupture would determine the size of your problem. Also the LP may or may not ignite. Also these tanks that are buried are designed for that type of service. Its like any flammable liquid it must be handled properly. No worse then the 20 plus gallons of gasoline sitting in your garage every night.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Been reported in villages news that Back-up generators have been approved. I am neutral on this but we all need to understand the game changing potential dynamics in TV due to close proximity of homes. The most significant one being noise, as they are noisy often at 90+ decibels. If your neighbor has a unit outside of your bedroom window you will need to find a place to sleep in the other side of the home. If you village has natural gas you can connect to that, otherwise gasoline will be the fuel. Hopefully the restrictions will not allow propane tanks. Perhaps someone can clarify that. All units require maintenance runs, units i am familiar with are weekly. Hopefully your neighbor will program to run mid day during the week as opposed to evening.
Life is full of challenges, but this is not seriously a real one. If sleep is a problem, get some ear plugs. If noise is still too much for you, then maybe you should move somewhere that does not have you living so close to other homes. A/C units can be noisy, even if you do not have a "window" near or on the side of your neighbor's home. A backup generator would hardly be used for anything other than an emergency, so sleep would hardly be a factor. Surely yard workers are more noisy than a generator being tested once a month. Although, I do not know how long they test generators and when they would. I would assume they test them in the daylight, but could be wrong.

Some folks worry too much.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Backup generators are not a necessity but are nice when the power goes out, mine was brought from Ohio just because I thought if a hurricane might cause a power outage, I would be able to save food etc. I have it converted to natural gas ,but with most power lines locally buried an outage seems remote.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage

There are plenty of propane tanks buried in The Villages. On the Southside, pretty much any time you see a rectangular vent on a roof from an outdoor kitchen there is a buried propane tank. 250 gallons is the preferred size, I believe.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2018, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Been reported in villages news that Back-up generators have been approved. I am neutral on this but we all need to understand the game changing potential dynamics in TV due to close proximity of homes. The most significant one being noise, as they are noisy often at 90+ decibels. If your neighbor has a unit outside of your bedroom window you will need to find a place to sleep in the other side of the home. If you village has natural gas you can connect to that, otherwise gasoline will be the fuel. Hopefully the restrictions will not allow propane tanks. Perhaps someone can clarify that. All units require maintenance runs, units i am familiar with are weekly. Hopefully your neighbor will program to run mid day during the week as opposed to evening.
First thing, why does anybody need a whole house generator? I'm sure certain areas in The Villages have more loss of power than some, also most of the time I don't know when we've had a power outage. Most of TV didn't lose their power even during IRMA. Yes, I'm surprised that TV let people install generators, because when I moved here 6 yrs. ago they told me I couldn't put an antenna on my house so I put one in our attic & it worked just fine. (I have cable TV now) So as far as generators go, I think you're barking at the wrong place because TV won't do anything about it because it give a business money & it's a feather in their hats!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The most significant one being noise, as they are noisy often at 90+ decibels.
The noise level of a Generac backup generator is in the range of 60db-66db which is about the same as for the outside unit of an air conditioner.

http://gens.generac.com/generaccorpo...sheet-2017.pdf

Here is typical air conditioner and it has a noise level of 67db.

Infinity 16 Central Air Conditioning Unit - 24ANB6 | Carrier - Home Comfort
Old 01-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage

If you are really worried about losing power, get a double pole isolation breaker for your power panel-use it to feed necessaries and or a 240 v rv plug, get a trailerable low rpm diesel generator & keep it in your golf cart garage-wheel it out for testing once a month & hook up the power plug when you need it-its what I used in NJ
Closed Thread

Tags
units, back-up, neighbor, generators, game

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.