Backflow preventer on hose bibs

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post
alternative - remove the screen and leave the brass fitting. Wonder who in the world made these mandatory !!!
They are mandatory to prevent water from hose backing up into house water. If you plan on selling the house at any point, you will need to replace them if you have removed them.

"Back Flow preventers are devices that are often times added on to the end of a hose spigot. The purpose of a backflow preventer on a garden hose spigot is to prevent tainted water from entering the drinking water system. Let me explain it like this: If your neighbors house is on fire and there are firemen using fire hoses to put it out, the amount back pressure needed could actually suck the dirty water out of the bucket your using to wash your car. If there was no back flow preventor on the line our clean drinking water could be compromised. That is why they have made it code to have a back flow preventor on your hose spigot."

I have had them on our house for over 10 years and never had a problem shutting off the water.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
Any way to remove these. I know they are code but I get drenched from the spray everytime I turn off spigot. There is an adapter sold called Spigot master but I shave to remove the backflow preventer first.

Anybody know of any work arounds?
“I know these are code but…”. Those words tells me you’re looking to violate some government law or ordinance. I’m actually stunned by the number of people here who don’t believe the laws apply to them. See the posts on how to make carts go faster than 20 mph, or which complain about people going the speed limit on our 35/45 mph roads, or advocate for lawn ornaments which clearly violate community standards and deed restrictions, etc etc.
And it seems more and more of these posts contain threats directed at anyone who might challenge them for their actions. All these things add up and will ultimately ensure that The Villages becomes a city rather than a Community. Please stop.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,737 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
They are mandatory to prevent water from hose backing up into house water. If you plan on selling the house at any point, you will need to replace them if you have removed them.

"Back Flow preventers are devices that are often times added on to the end of a hose spigot. The purpose of a backflow preventer on a garden hose spigot is to prevent tainted water from entering the drinking water system. Let me explain it like this: If your neighbors house is on fire and there are firemen using fire hoses to put it out, the amount back pressure needed could actually suck the dirty water out of the bucket your using to wash your car. If there was no back flow preventor on the line our clean drinking water could be compromised. That is why they have made it code to have a back flow preventor on your hose spigot."

I have had them on our house for over 10 years and never had a problem shutting off the water.
The same principle applies to all faucets in your house. That is why the faucet outlet is located above the overflow level of the sink. But, if you connect a hose to a faucet, like the laundry tub, you can contaminate the water if it backs up into your house.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokomo View Post
“I know these are code but…”. Those words tells me you’re looking to violate some government law or ordinance. I’m actually stunned by the number of people here who don’t believe the laws apply to them. See the posts on how to make carts go faster than 20 mph, or which complain about people going the speed limit on our 35/45 mph roads, or advocate for lawn ornaments which clearly violate community standards and deed restrictions, etc etc.
And it seems more and more of these posts contain threats directed at anyone who might challenge them for their actions. All these things add up and will ultimately ensure that The Villages becomes a city rather than a Community. Please stop.
People and codes-laws. You will find it is the same people, plumbing, special parking, dogs, golf cart speeds, vaccines etc etc etc. Oh and name calling
Old 06-10-2021, 09:52 AM
Default Death from drinking water

There is a safety reason. Years ago a person was spraying insecticide with a hose attachment. Put the hose down and went inside for a glass of water from the kitchen. Got sick and died as the poison back flowed into the house and he drank it.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 AM
Default Death happened from insecticide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post

Death from insecticide
Old 06-10-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokomo View Post
when standard hose bibs are outlawed, only outlaws will have standard hose bibs
now I wish I hadn't removed that mattress tag
Old 06-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

[ATTACH]
Quote:
[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
Any way to remove these. I know they are code but I get drenched from the spray everytime I turn off spigot. There is an adapter sold called Spigot master but I shave to remove the backflow preventer first.

Anybody know of any work arounds?
I created my own shield that prevents me from getting a shower every time I use the hose. I’m trying to post a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	5C39E2C9-1E17-4D53-8308-58A1ADB395E1.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	89789   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	E9D94FBE-5843-463B-9943-60E180FCDA3A.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	89790  

Last edited by DonnaNi4os; 06-10-2021 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Two of the same photos
Old 06-10-2021, 01:08 PM

When I installed a backflow preventer on my hose bib, I did not tighten the set screw so it can easily be removed. That screw has no functional purpose other than to try to prevent removal of the backflow preventer. If it fails, you need to either replace the entire valve or start drilling! I know that many homeowners have no idea that such a device is required by code.

Not sure why code can dictate such things but not require hose bib manufacturers to make their products with built in backflow preventers. That's probably coming...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	HoseBibBacklflowPreventer.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	89791  
Old 06-11-2021, 06:34 AM

………

Last edited by mskaggs; 06-11-2021 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Comment was intended to be a reply to another comment, but that was not reflected in the order
Old 06-16-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I created my own shield that prevents me from getting a shower every time I use the hose. I’m trying to post a photo.
what is that you used and how did you connect it to the faucet?
Old 06-17-2021, 06:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

The reason it sprays you is that the little rubber goodie inside that's suppose to prevent back-flow probably rotted and quit working about 3 years after the house was built. They don't spray like that when they're new.

It's a really useless device, designed primarily to make rich the guy who invented it and then convinced some bureaucrat to force you to buy it. Think about it -- in order for some nasty bug to sneak from your hose all the way into your stomach, it has to somehow get past a closed hose bib valve, or swim upstream a distance equivalent to you walking to the moon -- only it has to swim through chlorinated water designed to kill it.

The uselessness of this device explains how hundreds of millions of people somehow survived hose bibs prior to the invention of the backflow preventer -- and still do, in places where they aren't required by code.
Closed Thread

Tags
backflow, remove, spigot, preventer, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.