Bad Golf Advice

Old 04-05-2024, 06:27 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Bad Golf Advice

Was playing golf at an executive course today and there were several course workers removing moss from a tree on a par 4 hole. These workers were several hundred feet ahead of the T-Box and definitely not on the fairway but certainly not out of bounds. When we cautioned them that we were about to Tee Off, they ignored us and continued their work. We all hit our tee shots to avoid errant shots and no harm was done.

(And yes I reported this - as I am sure others have in the past but it obviously continues with some workers. I would think that employers should train, require protective equipment, and monitor conformance with safety protocol)

While this may not be common, it does occur. If we ignore their lack of safety and accidently harm someone, I am sure we could/would be held liable. A simple etiquette yell of "fore" would hardly be a defense.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,261 Posts

Had this happen to us about a week and a half ago, I was wondering what the penalty was and if the ball ended up in the bucket how would we play it??? OK on a serious note, we ignored them, but the chain saw they were using to trim branches was annoying.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Another great golfing complaint.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Was playing golf at an executive course today and there were several course workers removing moss from a tree on a par 4 hole. These workers were several hundred feet ahead of the T-Box and definitely not on the fairway but certainly not out of bounds. When we cautioned them that we were about to Tee Off, they ignored us and continued their work. We all hit our tee shots to avoid errant shots and no harm was done.

(And yes I reported this - as I am sure others have in the past but it obviously continues with some workers. I would think that employers should train, require protective equipment, and monitor conformance with safety protocol)

While this may not be common, it does occur. If we ignore their lack of safety and accidently harm someone, I am sure we could/would be held liable. A simple etiquette yell of "fore" would hardly be a defense.
I normally just ask them to temporarily stand in the middle of the fairway where they will be safe. The ones that need to worry with me on the tee box are those residents working or lounging in their yards a hundred yards left of the out of bounds marker.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
I normally just ask them to temporarily stand in the middle of the fairway where they will be safe. The ones that need to worry with me on the tee box are those residents working or lounging in their yards a hundred yards left of the out of bounds marker.
I have your driver....and your TaylorMade ball ( it’s next to my lanai, on top of the shards of glass
Old 04-07-2024, 12:10 AM

I follow the golf course etiquette shown in the Michael Douglas film "Falling Down".
Old 04-07-2024, 04:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,411 Times in 2,531 Posts

Same as previous replies, I just aim at them.
Their safety is assured.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:

During this time of the year, golfers are on the exec courses from 7am until after 8:30pm. When do you suggest this work be done? Midnight to 6am? There are some jobs that have to be done during the day when golfers are present. It's not reasonable to expect a work crew to take a 2 minute break every 8-10 minutes to allow golfers to tee off with the possibility of them getting hit by a tee ball that's 25-35 yards off target. We could all improve the safety of not only the workers but our fellow golfers by spending more time on the range to improve our ball striking. Just a positive suggestion.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
During this time of the year, golfers are on the exec courses from 7am until after 8:30pm. When do you suggest this work be done? Midnight to 6am? There are some jobs that have to be done during the day when golfers are present. It's not reasonable to expect a work crew to take a 2 minute break every 8-10 minutes to allow golfers to tee off with the possibility of them getting hit by a tee ball that's 25-35 yards off target. We could all improve the safety of not only the workers but our fellow golfers by spending more time on the range to improve our ball striking. Just a positive suggestion.
I often call the ambulance, and fire depts, and ask them not to use sirens while passing the course I am playing on....they said they would document it
Old 04-07-2024, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

Happened to us a few times. I'm sure they're aware of the risks (and covered by worker's comp.) but I always give them a heads-up before we hit our shot. Usually a wave but if they're close I'll say something good-natured and then let it be. Some move, some don't.

One thing I DO find rather irritating though is when the "ambassadors" do the same thing. Not frequent but it DOES happen. Not long back one of them stopped on our tee area and proceeded to put sand in divots in the gold and green tee boxes. We tee off from black, and just stood around waiting to tee off onto a vacant green while he finished is (very leisurely) task.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:03 AM

Sirens and chainsaws don’t bother me as I always remove my hearing aids while playing golf. Only drawback is I can’t hear when someone says Fore!
Old 04-07-2024, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

This is yet another frivolous complaint !!
Old 04-07-2024, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
This is yet another frivolous complaint !!
Yeah, can we get back to talking about bunions and favorite stool softeners!
Old 04-07-2024, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Yeah, can we get back to talking about bunions and favorite stool softeners!
And don’t forget about the “dog poop” complaints…….haven’t had those in a while …<complaints , that is …..>
Old 04-07-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
Sirens and chainsaws don’t bother me as I always remove my hearing aids while playing golf. Only drawback is I can’t hear when someone says Fore!
you could probably get a great home, near the highway, or near an airport with no hearing aids on

Tags
workers, golf, tee, shots, harm

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.