Banking Problem with Social Security

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2024, 08:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,166 Times in 835 Posts
Default Banking Problem with Social Security

A friend of mine lost his wife December 8th.
On the 3rd. week in December, (her social security payment date) it wasn't posted in her check book
so he thought it was because she passed in December.

I said not true, she should have received her November S/S payment in December regardless.
He check w/S/S office and found out I was right.
All S/S payments are paid from the previous month.

His bank took the privilege of stopping that December payment.
What a crock.

S/S had to send a form to his bank for the November back payment.

Now people in tv land I need to ask:
"How many people don't understand and lost out of billions of $$$$ on their spouse's
S/S check thinking no payment is paid on the month of passing??"
Old 01-05-2024, 08:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,341 Times in 392 Posts

Why did your friend tell the bank of his wifes pssing.

Now i ask…how many people in tv land hve collected ss from a deceaased spouse before they remembered to tell the ssa the spouse died?
Old 01-05-2024, 08:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
He didn't, that's the problem here.

Now i ask…how many people in tv land hve collected ss from a deceaased spouse before they remembered to tell the ssa the spouse died?
Their playing with a financial fire with fines and back payments.

The death certificate will have the time and date of the passing.
Social Security watches that like a hawk.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:01 PM
Sage

Funeral homes are generally responsible for notifying the SSA. In general, they will want the SSN of the deceased.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 01-05-2024 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
On the 3rd. week in December, (her social security payment date) it wasn't posted in her check book

I said not true, she should have received her November S/S payment in December regardless.

What a crock.

"How many people don't understand and lost out of billions of $$$$ on their spouse's
What bank?
Old 01-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,195 Times in 839 Posts

If she died in Nov she is not entitled to receive a check for November, which is the one sent in December.

Quote:
We can't pay benefits for the month of death. That means if the person died in July, the check received in August (which is payment for July) must be returned. If the payment is by direct deposit, notify the financial institution as soon as possible so it can return any payments received after death.
Sounds like someone did exactly what they should do. She is not to receive a check for November. She did not get one. The absence of a deposit in December was correct. I don't know how the SSA knew she died but obviously they were informed and correctly stopped payments. It is extremely unlikely the bank had anything to do with it.

More likely as stated above that notification came from a funeral home using form SSA 721. At the same time the funeral home possibly did the paperwork for the burial benefit of $225.

Nothing was a crock here. Your accusation is unfounded based on misunderstanding the rules. The error is yours not the bank nor the social security administration.

edit: I am correctly corrected. The death was in December not November.

Last edited by blueash; 01-06-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
What bank?
Doesn't matter, S/S office said ALL the banks do this.
Old 01-06-2024, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,176 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
If she died in Nov she is not entitled to receive a check for November, which is the one sent in December.

Sounds like someone did exactly what they should do. She is not to receive a check for November. She did not get one. The absence of a deposit in December was correct. I don't know how the SSA knew she died but obviously they were informed and correctly stopped payments. It is extremely unlikely the bank had anything to do with it.

More likely as stated above that notification came from a funeral home using form SSA 721. At the same time the funeral home possibly did the paperwork for the burial benefit of $225.

Nothing was a crock here. Your accusation is unfounded based on misunderstanding the rules. The error is yours not the bank nor the social security administration.

Hmmmm, she died in December!
Old 01-06-2024, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,998 Times in 5,366 Posts

I don't think the bank did anything wrong. From the SSA.gov website:

"If a beneficiary dies
If the payment is by direct deposit, notify the financial institution as soon as possible so it can return any payments received after death. Family members may be eligible for Social Security survivors benefits when a person dies."

Also, any payments of any type received for a deceased person, must be cashed by the estate executor or by someone who is designated on the account as "transfer on death", in which case, the bank would require proof of death. It would be illegal for anyone else to remove money from an account of the deceased.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-06-2024 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,944 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think the bank did anything wrong. From the SSA.gov website:

"If a beneficiary dies
If the payment is by direct deposit, notify the financial institution as soon as possible so it can return any payments received after death. Family members may be eligible for Social Security survivors benefits when a person dies."

Also, any payments of any type received for a deceased person, must be cashed by the estate executor or by someone who is designated on the account as "transfer on death", in which case, the bank would require proof of death. It would be illegal for anyone else to remove money from an account of the deceased.
A bank needs to be notified of a person's passing to properly conform to the legal post death requirements of the account. in case of a revocable trust, the account now becomes irrevocable, etc, and most conform to the legal post death requirements of the type of account. If the account needs to go through probate, I believe the account is frozen until fully probed.

thinking that everyone here followed the proper protocol, which may not be interpreted as fair or proper, but then laws are not always interpreted as fair and proper. They are what they are.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

What a crock.

When my husband died, the SS check that had been deposited in our joint account that same month was taken back without notice. After a phone call with SSA, I was told they cannot issue payment to someone who is deceased. However, I did receive the paltry $255 death benefit rather quickly, and then the payment they took back and the next two months’ payments three months later. Then I was set up with the survivor benefit that I have been receiving regularly ever since. Had nothing to do with the bank - funeral home notified Social Security and they swiftly take money back and take their time to get things corrected.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Funeral homes generally notify SS.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:30 AM

If married more than 9 months when spouse passes away, surviving spouse is entitled to a portion of their ss added onto their current amount. It will require an appointment with them to include a copy of marriage license showing date and spouses death certificate. If divorced but once married for 10 years or more, the same applies.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 568 Posts

How many times a year does this happen?
Old 01-07-2024, 06:37 AM

Paltry $255 is beter than 0.
Closed Thread

Tags
payment, december, s/s, check, bank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.