banning outside buses from squares

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default banning outside buses from squares

I can appreciate District Manager Jane Tutts arguments against letting outside transportation companies from picking up or dropping off passengers at the squares or recreation centers. Her statement that The purpose of my communication to you is that if you have a group planning a trip (whether for a day or longer), the bus companies need to explore pick up location options other than the downtowns or recreation facilities. has me wondering if there is any place inside The Villages that could be used for this purpose. She doesnt suggest one.

While I am not yet full time in The Villages, I have heard of many exciting day trips that I would enjoy taking in the future.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I can appreciate District Manager Jane Tutts arguments against letting outside transportation companies from picking up or dropping off passengers at the squares or recreation centers. Her statement that The purpose of my communication to you is that if you have a group planning a trip (whether for a day or longer), the bus companies need to explore pick up location options other than the downtowns or recreation facilities. has me wondering if there is any place inside The Villages that could be used for this purpose. She doesnt suggest one.

While I am not yet full time in The Villages, I have heard of many exciting day trips that I would enjoy taking in the future.

We have gone to all of the places that people go on buses, in our car.

Except the gambling places, gambling isn't fun for us.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We have gone to all of the places that people go on buses, in our car.

Except the gambling places, gambling isn't fun for us.
You are forgeting that some people either don't drive any longer but still want to go places, and also some people want to go but there cars are not reliable enough for the trip...

I think charter buses are a great idea and are usually cost effective.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
You are forgeting that some people either don't drive any longer but still want to go places, and also some people want to go but there cars are not reliable enough for the trip...

I think charter buses are a great idea and are usually cost effective.

The cost of a day trip on a bus is far greater than driving a car.

Everyone I know has a reliable car here in The Villages and can drive.

I realize that some love bus trips. I am sure the tour bus owners will soon solve this problem. They are the ones that are making money, them and the travel agents.... AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT..
Old 04-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Having riddden buses all over Europe, Central America and Asia on tours riding a bus is far, far less costly and more convenient than driving myself, even here in the good old USA. Plus, I can snap photos out the window, eat lunch, even go to the potty while the bus driver deals with the traffic, finds a parking spot and so on.

BTW, my Porsche probably cost about $2/mile to drive. A bus ride runs a small fraction of that.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-17-2015, 10:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Having riddden buses all over Europe, Central America and Asia on tours riding a bus is far, far less costly and more convenient than driving myself, even here in the good old USA. Plus, I can snap photos out the window, eat lunch, even go to the potty while the bus driver deals with the traffic, finds a parking spot and so on.

BTW, my Porsche probably cost about $2/mile to drive. A bus ride runs a small fraction of that.
Well, my Chrysler 200 costs a bit less than your Porsche to drive, although it's not as much fun, but I agree with you.

Another thing to consider is that often it's not only the destination, it can be the journey too. Every year the Three Rivers Club takes 2-3 busloads of Pirates fans to a spring training game in Bradenton. Food/drink is allowed on the buses, videos of Pittsburgh or movies filmed in Pgh are shown, and it's an all-around good time on the bus plus a total convenience to have someone else do the driving on the way back. We probably wouldn't go if we had to drive ourselves.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 AM
Gold member

Went on a bus to Spring Training and the bingo games are so annoying I wanted to jump out the window. R22, C36. They repeated each number at least 3 times. Few things annoy me but this really did.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Unless I'm missing something, I fail to see a problem with a bus/tour company picking up residents at say, a rec center -- one of the larger ones where parking isn't an issue.
They are there only briefly and it would be more convenient for everyone.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:38 AM
Sage

I think that the point is that parking has become an issue at all the rec centers from time to time. And at the parking lots behind the squares, the business owners don't want their customers inconvenienced more than necessary.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

As I understand it, the problems are caused by the cars left behind in the parking lots. One solution might be for the bus/travel agencies to purchase parking spaces from the churches that have parking lots that virtually sit empty Monday through Saturday. Good for the church. Good for the bus/travel agencies. It could be a great budget enhancer for some of the smaller churches located just off property.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 AM
Sage

I can understand The Villages not wanting buses to take up parking in the downtown squares and other commercial areas. But, what is the harm in using a large regional rec center parking lot (designating a remote corner) for parking for a day bus trip? Villagers are beneficiaries, we indirectly pay for the rec centers, and, unless there is a special event at the regional center, there is generally ample parking available on the fringes. Seems like that would be a suitable compromise. I don't think any rec center or commercial area should be available for multi-day (e.g. cruise ship) parking.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

No place to park in The Villages?

A friend of ours back in Urbana organizes Snooty Fox bus tours for the ladies to ride the 90 miles together to Cincinnati and then shop all day. Not something I would do but my wife thoroughly enjoys the experience. Everyone parks in the local county government’s lot in full view of government officials. If a small community of 10,000 can be accommodative, why can’t a community of 100,000 whose claims to be the friendliest hometown?

I understand that The Villages is watching their residents spend money on the outside and not getting a cut. The idea of using a Church parking lot may work but why do taxpaying residents have to go outside of The Villages? I bet that if these bus trips were a developer sanction activity it would be allowed in The Villages. I believe that the parking issue could be mitigated. As long as local residents don’t have to pay more for the journey, I say let the developer provide the transportation to keep it local and in The Villages.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Went on a bus to Spring Training and the bingo games are so annoying I wanted to jump out the window. R22, C36. They repeated each number at least 3 times. Few things annoy me but this really did.
Come to a Pirates game. We don't do bingo--only polka in the aisles.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:07 AM
Sage

It's a little off topic but did you know you can take a greyhound bus from Ocala to Miami for $40. I have family down there and looked into it. It's a short trip to Ocala from here but much more expensive. I wrote to Greyhound and asked them to look into making The Villages a stop.

Maybe they also have great deals going east and west but it doesn't do us any good unless the bus stops here.

I would think there would be more bus riders from The Villages then most communities. We have the time to forget the fuss and leave the driving to us [er them].

I also read that you can take an Amtrak bus from Spanish Springs to Lakeland and then board a train to Miami for around $100 round trip. Does anyone have that experience.

I also don't understand why a private bus has to go "off campus" for a village pick-up. But I guess meeting in a Walmart or other big outside parking lot shouldn't make that much of a difference.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:17 AM
Gold member

there are plenty of places for buses like the shopping strips along 466, this is a non issue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.