banning outside buses from squares

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2015, 08:49 AM
bnb8521

I agree completely with Janet. Parking is for people using the squares. Not long term parking for Cruises and day trips.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Don't the village have two buse stops in LSL and SS? They are not on the squares but close. So what's the point of having bus stop. Arn't the day tour trips for villager's. Don't I pay ammenity fees.

Now I could understand if non-villagers are using our space and not paying the monthly fee.
I take it the restriction also includes the day trips by the long life learning center if they are chartered buses also right?

Hey I've got great idea! Pay for parking in all the parking lots and spaces on village property!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Unless I'm missing something, I fail to see a problem with a bus/tour company picking up residents at say, a rec center -- one of the larger ones where parking isn't an issue.
They are there only briefly and it would be more convenient for everyone.
The people being picked up leave their cars there for the day. If a bus holds 100 people, that's about 60 additional cars in the parking lot. And they are cars of people that are not using the squares or rec centers on that day.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Gold member

To me, the biggest beneficiary of these bus tours is us, the people of The Villages.

This is the Mission, Purpose and Vision statement of the CDD from their web site.

Quote:
Mission

To provide responsible and accountable Public Service that enhances and sustains our community.

Purpose

To provide and preserve the lifestyle of Florida’s Friendliest Hometown.

Vision

To be respected as the most responsive and responsible Community Development District.

It would seem to me a no brainer that the CDD, if it wants to adhere to its own standards, that it would do everything possible to work with the clubs and associations that are sanctioned by TV to make these bus trips possible.

On the other hand, if outside businesses or organizations (such as travel agencies, etc.) want to use our parking facilities, they should be blocked.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
When we went to an expo in Orlando put on by Eukanuba, the buses picked us up in the Target parking lot. Of course, is that TV-owned property?

When it is a TV-related trip put on by one of the TV-sanctioned clubs, I don't see the problem with parking in a TV lot. If there's enough parking for a thousand people to attend the PAC while there's entertainment at SS, there's enough spaces for 150 cars to park while three buses take them somewhere. And maybe that's the rub--they have to make up for a parking problem they may have created.

Why wouldn't it be "blamed on the developer" if it was announced by Janet Tutt?

There is not enough room at any of the grocery store parking lots, at least down in the 466A area, because the lots aren't big enough to hold the shoppers to begin with.
You do know that Janet Tutt doesn't represent the developer right? You do know that District operates under the State Law in FL which established CDD's and developer is an independent business? You do do know that while TV sanctions some of the clubs they don't sponsor or make club rules or have any obligation to the clubs. If you want to part at any of commercial parking areas you should get involved and talk to them. They will also ask you to sign a waiver releasing them of liability if your car is damaged, especially if you are bringing in 24+ cars. Let the tour companies work it out, they will find a solution.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The people being picked up leave their cars there for the day. If a bus holds 100 people, that's about 60 additional cars in the parking lot. And they are cars of people that are not using the squares or rec centers on that day.
But, the rec centers and their parking lots are there for the benefit of Villagers. Some Villagers will have their lifestyle enhanced for the day by using the parking lot so they can go into the rec center. Others will have their lifestyle enhanced by being able to go on a bus trip. Unless there is a major event going on in the rec center, there is plenty of parking available to keep both groups of amenity-paying Villagers happy. It would be fairly simple to set up a permit system so that rec centers which may be having a major event going on would be exempt from having its lot used for bus trips.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Seems to me that the bus services are the ones that need to find a place to pickup passengers. Not sure why we have all this debate over where to park for trips.

If you run a business, it's your responsibility to provide adequate parking for your customers.

As The Villages grow, parking is becoming more of a premium.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Seems to me that the bus services are the ones that need to find a place to pickup passengers. Not sure why we have all this debate over where to park for trips.

If you run a business, it's your responsibility to provide adequate parking for your customers.

As The Villages grow, parking is becoming more of a premium.
A principle argument of those who favor growth in TV is that as it grows, infrastructure grows with it. If that is true, then the number of parking spaces per household should be fairly static.

If it is tour companies/travel agencies who are trying to make a buck by organizing daytrips or longer, I completely agree with you that it is up to them to find a solution. However, if it is a club or group of people within TV that wants to charter a bus for a trip, then we, as Village stakeholders via the CDD should do everything possible to encourage that activity.

Amenity fees are designed to provide amenities. One amenity that is very cheap to offer is a parking spot that in almost all cases is going to be vacant.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
A principle argument of those who favor growth in TV is that as it grows, infrastructure grows with it. If that is true, then the number of parking spaces per household should be fairly static.

If it is tour companies/travel agencies who are trying to make a buck by organizing daytrips or longer, I completely agree with you that it is up to them to find a solution. However, if it is a club or group of people within TV that wants to charter a bus for a trip, then we, as Village stakeholders via the CDD should do everything possible to encourage that activity.

Amenity fees are designed to provide amenities. One amenity that is very cheap to offer is a parking spot that in almost all cases is going to be vacant.
Bravo.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Don't the village have two buse stops in LSL and SS? They are not on the squares but close. So what's the point of having bus stop. Arn't the day tour trips for villager's. Don't I pay ammenity fees.

Now I could understand if non-villagers are using our space and not paying the monthly fee.
I take it the restriction also includes the day trips by the long life learning center if they are chartered buses also right?

Hey I've got great idea! Pay for parking in all the parking lots and spaces on village property!
What part of your amenity fees are used for the parking lots at LSL & SS?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
You do know that Janet Tutt doesn't represent the developer right? You do know that District operates under the State Law in FL which established CDD's and developer is an independent business? You do do know that while TV sanctions some of the clubs they don't sponsor or make club rules or have any obligation to the clubs. If you want to part at any of commercial parking areas you should get involved and talk to them. They will also ask you to sign a waiver releasing them of liability if your car is damaged, especially if you are bringing in 24+ cars. Let the tour companies work it out, they will find a solution.

You do know that Janet Tutt is appointed to her job by the developer and cannot be fired by anyone other than that developer?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just to shed a little light here. As a member of a Club in TV one of my functions is to set up off Campus trips. We plan the trip and hire a local bus to pick us up. We've been told that we can no longer have a bus come on ANY DISTRICT parking lot within TV to pick us up. This includes all the property within TV and the parking lots of the stores along 466, 466a, 441,44 etc. that are owned and operated by TV. Now as far as The Villages Transportation they still can use the Parking area. They have 1 large bus they will use for day trips. The cost was $125.00 more then the current bus company we were using. AAA does trips out of TV and since they have locations within TV they are still allowed to Pickup within TV. There price for a trip we just booked was $13.00 P/P more than what we were paying. We are trying to work something out but it's not easy. The real kicker is 90% of the people who went on our trips would bring their golf carts and in the back lots you can put 4 golf carts in 1 parking place if you park right. I can understand keeping the lots around the square available for square shopping and parking but there has to be somewhere to park. Also incase you're not aware the District Office is now above Johnny Rockets & Starbucks so all the workers now park in that lot in the daytime and a large fleet of District owned vehicles park there at night. So yep parking is an issue really ?
Old 04-18-2015, 11:45 AM
Veteran member
Default You hit the nail on the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post

We seem to be looking for solutions to problems that don't exist or throw out the baby with the bathwater, in this case, lumping in parking at regional rec centers because of problems with parking at the squares.

Our social group on more than one occasion has chartered a bus to take us to places like Orlando or Tampa and we park at one of the regional rec centers and meet the bus there. There has NEVER been a problem with the parking lots being even remotely filled on these occasions.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Gold member

OK, let me make sure I have this right....if you run bus trips AND have an office in TV, it's OK to have your buses pick up from the squares or Rec Centers. AAA, TV Transportation and the Lifelong Learning College are perfect examples.

So, all the "outside" companies need to do is rent one of the many empty office spaces in TV and that should solve the problem...right?

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 04-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
We seem to be looking for solutions to problems that don't exist or throw out the baby with the bathwater, in this case, lumping in parking at regional rec centers because of problems with parking at the squares.

Our social group on more than one occasion has chartered a bus to take us to places like Orlando or Tampa and we park at one of the regional rec centers and meet the bus there. There has NEVER been a problem with the parking lots being even remotely filled on these occasions.
Your social group should have just rec'd the memo from Janet Tutt in regards to using "outside" bus transportation.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.