Barnstorm Theatre - Brownwood

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2022, 09:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Do not expect those theaters to ever reopen the only question is when they will be repurposed.
Probably will be converted to 8 apartments - each one with a BIG screen TV included.

Skip
Old 09-17-2022, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
If there was enough demand for movie watching would have already been opened. Most of the time it is pretty much empty so why open two more?

There is a very nice theater in Lake County that is far superior to what is here.

But a good distance from most of the Villages that have been here since 2005 or so. And not golf cart accessible.

Again. This is a retirement community and not Tampa, Orlando or some other place. We like old cars, old movies, old music and drive-ins. What is "old " changes though as the birth years of the Villages go up in decades.

There is a big demand for movies in theaters in the Villages. Still.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
But a good distance from most of the Villages that have been here since 2005 or so. And not golf cart accessible.

Again. This is a retirement community and not Tampa, Orlando or some other place. We like old cars, old movies, old music and drive-ins. What is "old " changes though as the birth years of the Villages go up in decades.

There is a big demand for movies in theaters in the Villages. Still.
Sorry Tal. No matter how much you try to convince yourself that there is big demand for theaters, statistics are against you. Trust me. If there was enough of a demand to make the theaters profitable the developer would open them in a heartbeat. As far as marketing them as a perk to sell houses, they don’t need to. They are selling houses nearly as fast as they can build them.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-17-2022, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Sorry Tal. No matter how much you try to convince yourself that there is big demand for theaters, statistics are against you. Trust me. If there was enough of a demand to make the theaters profitable the developer would open them in a heartbeat. As far as marketing them as a perk to sell houses, they don’t need to. They are selling houses nearly as fast as they can build them.
There have been some very big crowds at movie theaters here in the Villages. When we moved here in July of 2005 there was only the Rialto which would sometimes have to turn away people. And that has happened since they added the Old Mill Playhouse at the end of 2005.

Big movies like the Star Wars one attracted very long lines at the Barnstorm when it opened. Small movies targeted at seniors also had very long lines at all theaters.

"Hollywood" took a big hit from COVID in the production of movies and it will take them a while to get up and running even if they make movies in Eastern Europe, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, India, Georgia (USA and Russia), etc.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
…There is a big demand for movies in theaters in the Villages. Still.
Sorry, Tal, but I don’t think that is as certain as you make it sound.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,805 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
There have been some very big crowds at movie theaters here in the Villages. When we moved here in July of 2005 there was only the Rialto which would sometimes have to turn away people. And that has happened since they added the Old Mill Playhouse at the end of 2005.

Big movies like the Star Wars one attracted very long lines at the Barnstorm when it opened. Small movies targeted at seniors also had very long lines at all theaters.

"Hollywood" took a big hit from COVID in the production of movies and it will take them a while to get up and running even if they make movies in Eastern Europe, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, India, Georgia (USA and Russia), etc.

Tal, most retirees now love the comfort of their home, their friends, their furniture and their own pauses in the movies they watch, for bathroom breaks.

People can enjoy all those things if they DON’T go to a theater and many have media rooms in their home just for that pleasure. It’s also safer than coming out of a theater in Brownwood in the later hours of the evening.

Movie theaters are passe and it was surprising they built that one in Brownwood. But, as stated earlier, that building will make a great condo or apartment complex.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Tal, if it is such a great business to be in then develop a business plan and lease the closed theater in Brownwood with YOUR capital. It amazes me how people will tell the developer how to use their capital. I guarantee you the developer knows exactly how many people go to the theater in Lake Sumter. If there was so much demand and they could make a reasonable profit they would open Brownwood. At least for now in the US, no business is required to lose money on an operation just because some people on the internet feel the need for a specific business to open up.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
Tal, if it is such a great business to be in then develop a business plan and lease the closed theater in Brownwood with YOUR capital. It amazes me how people will tell the developer how to use their capital. I guarantee you the developer knows exactly how many people go to the theater in Lake Sumter. If there was so much demand and they could make a reasonable profit they would open Brownwood. At least for now in the US, no business is required to lose money on an operation just because some people on the internet feel the need for a specific business to open up.

The developers own the movie theaters.

They do not lease them out.

You can rent these for an evening for parties and the like. Rented Spaces - The Villages Entertainment

Old 09-17-2022, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,470 Posts

Quote:
The developers own the movie theaters.

They do not lease them out.

You can rent these for an evening for parties and the like. Rented Spaces - The Villages Entertainment
People have been voting with their feet to rarely fill up a theater. Wish they would reopen the other theaters but does not seem the demand is there.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:22 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,230 Times in 339 Posts

My pea-brain tells me that it would have made more sense to have all the movies at Barnstorm rather than Sumter. For two reasons:

Brownwood is more centrally located.

The theaters are generally larger and much better condition.

Makes sense to me. I would believe that politics came into this. Merchants in Sumter perhaps lobbied for this. And perhaps more from Northern populations.

Sumter has Lazy Macs and Savanna and The Sharon is “up there”. I guess the Southern folks simply have to grin a bear it.

Just sayin’. All IMO.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,214 Times in 1,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
My pea-brain tells me that it would have made more sense to have all the movies at Barnstorm rather than Sumter. For two reasons:

Makes sense to me. I would believe that politics came into this. Merchants in Sumter perhaps lobbied for this. And perhaps more from Northern populations.

Sumter has Lazy Macs and Savanna and The Sharon is “up there”. I guess the Southern folks simply have to grin a bear it.

Just sayin’. All IMO.
I live near Lake Sumter Landing and I agree with you on all points. Although the Barnstorm theater does not have the latest and greatest seating and really large screens as other theaters not in The Villages, it is a better and newer theater than the Old Mill Playhouse. Barnstorm is certainly more centrally located for those folks who live in the southern villages. It just makes more sense to open Barnstorm and close the LSL theater.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I live near Lake Sumter Landing and I agree with you on all points. Although the Barnstorm theater does not have the latest and greatest seating and really large screens as other theaters not in The Villages, it is a better and newer theater than the Old Mill Playhouse. Barnstorm is certainly more centrally located for those folks who live in the southern villages. It just makes more sense to open Barnstorm and close the LSL theater.

They could keep both open.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:43 PM

It’s not just a problem with the theaters in TV. COVID accelerated the slow demise of the movie industry in general. In order to compete with the high def at home viewing options, theaters are installing IMAX screens and reclining seats that vibrate. This dramatically increases ticket prices and potential viewers only have to wait a couple weeks to stream from home.

I love to watch movies at the theater, but only catch 1-3 blockbusters a year, down from 5-6 in years past.

Regal Owner Cineworld Nears Bankruptcy as Theater Comeback Lags - WSJ
Old 09-17-2022, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

[QUOTE=Dond1959;2137534]Tal, if it is such a great business to be in then develop a business plan and lease the closed theater in Brownwood with YOUR capital. It amazes me how people will tell the developer how to use their capital. I guarantee you the developer knows exactly how many people go to the theater in Lake Sumter. If there was so much demand and they could make a reasonable profit they would open Brownwood. At least for now in the US, no business is required to lose money on an operation just because some people on the internet feel the need for a specific business to open up.[/QUOTE

Lighten up on Tal. Its an interesting thread that doesn't need a lecture
Old 09-17-2022, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post

Just sayin’. All IMO.
Heck, the Southern folks can go to the AMC theater in Leesburg which is better than any theater in The Villages. It’s closer than LSL and about 5 minutes farther than Brownwood.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
barnstorm, covid, thing, softened, greatly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.