Bath RM Fan Vent

Old 03-22-2024, 12:13 PM
Default Bath RM Fan Vent

The vent coming off the fan in one of my bathrooms makes a tapping like noise whenever the wind is blowing. I have looked at both the vent and the vent outlet located in the eve but can't see anything that would cause a tapping sound. It sounds like a flapper that's doing the tapping, but I can't locate it. Has anyone ever experienced an issue like this? if you have can you let me know how you resolved it? Hope maybe the Village Tinker has some ideas. Thanks to all for any replies!!
Old 03-22-2024, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

There is a shutoff damper on top of the ceiling fan unit. It will open when the fan comes on and close when the fan goes off. Sometimes, when it is windy, the damper will open and close due to a negative pressure in the duct and create a noise. Most people don't do anything to stop the noise because it is not a defect. But, you may be able to find a more quiet fan damper, or add some foam to lessen the noise.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Retiredguy beat me, I agree with his reply. I will add if you partially take the fan apart you may be able put a small piece of foam between the flapper and the fan housing. Also, there are probably several different varieties of fans in the villages houses so you will probably need to look at your fan to see what might work.
One other point, our house is so tight that we rarely hear any tapping from our fans, so is it possible you have a leak at your house? This could be leaving the dryer door open, a pet door, any loose-fitting window or slider, etc.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:46 PM
Default Double the tapping...

I have this issue in the bathroom and kitchen. I've gotten use to it as it only occurs on very windy days. It becomes white noise after awhile.

Tags
vent, tapping, fan, bath, issue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.