To bee or not to Bee?

Unread 05-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Default To bee or not to Bee?

New in town. Not sure what to do. Got lots of Bee's, couple of hives over our villa wall in the holly tree's. We are PT here for now so we haven't got it together yet. Came to town to take care of things. Does the villages have rules on how to handle this. I figured I'd get more than one suggestion. Bee keeper?
Unread 05-07-2024, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,644 Times in 3,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie65 View Post
New in town. Not sure what to do. Got lots of Bee's, couple of hives over our villa wall in the holly tree's. We are PT here for now so we haven't got it together yet. Came to town to take care of things. Does the villages have rules on how to handle this. I figured I'd get more than one suggestion. Bee keeper?
You can call a local pest control company. You could call a beekeeper if you know for sure they're bees and not wasps.
Unread 05-07-2024, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,227 Times in 5,425 Posts

Take pictures and send it to beekeeper they may want hive
Unread 05-07-2024, 09:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Bees are protected. Our family raised bees, so looked immediately for local guy who was happy to safely capture the hive. Not a big deal little smoke and large net trap.

Sorry he has relocated, but you can find couple on the net
Unread 05-07-2024, 10:02 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,103 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie65 View Post
While realizing the role of bees for fertilization, bees in home areas are not beneficial. Realistically, small hives are not likely to be of any value to bee keepers. Paying an Exterminator to remove them would likely mean a price where they get removed with no guarantee of salvation.

A test: If you found a small bee's nest just forming in your house, do you call a beekeeper, exterminator or take care of it yourself? Check your neighbors for what they do.
Unread 05-08-2024, 03:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

If they are non-aggressive, not setting up home on your property, why bother them?
They only do good.
Many types of bees are struggling to survive, at least find a local beekeeper and try and relocate them, rather than exterminate them out of hand.
Unread 05-08-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,644 Times in 3,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
While realizing the role of bees for fertilization, bees in home areas are not beneficial. Realistically, small hives are not likely to be of any value to bee keepers. Paying an Exterminator to remove them would likely mean a price where they get removed with no guarantee of salvation.

A test: If you found a small bee's nest just forming in your house, do you call a beekeeper, exterminator or take care of it yourself? Check your neighbors for what they do.
1. The OP's bees have set up hives in trees, not in the house.
2. Honeybees mark a territory approximately 5 miles surrounding their hives. Small hives might not be of value to beekeepers but they are of great value to the ecosystem, especially within five miles of the hive.

Anecdotally - when I lived up north, we had honeybees who would pollinate my flowering oregano garden. It was actually an herb garden with multiple herbs, but oregano always takes over whatever you plant it in so - there ya go.

Turned out, the honey I bought at the craft fair came from a beekeeper's hive two miles down the road, and it was oregano honey. The beekeeper had been wondering where they got so much oregano honey that over a thousand bees were bringing it home every week for their hives. My "local" honey turned out to be as local as possible. It was produced from the pollen collected in my own back yard garden.
Unread 05-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,726 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If they are non-aggressive, not setting up home on your property, why bother them?
They only do good.
Many types of bees are struggling to survive, at least find a local beekeeper and try and relocate them, rather than exterminate them out of hand.
Good sentiment.

We have a nest of wasps in our hedge, have been for the past three years now. They're not inclined to be aggressive though: they're active pollinating the blossoms in our patio garden and seem content to leave me alone when I'm out there. They'll sometimes fly out of the hedge and check on what is making all that noise when I'm trimming the hedge (electric trimmer). but that is all. Now and again one will land on the lawnmower handlebar and stare at me when I'm out mowing.

In my experience animals can sense fear and aggression. No reason that shouldn't include insects too.

Tags
bee, town, rules, things, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.