Best dash cams?

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2023, 08:04 AM

I’m sure you are aware that (florida) is a 50-50 state, so it really does not matter who’s fault because your insurance company pays anyway and it will affect your rate. Even when you get rear ended remember, this is not a no-fault state.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:28 AM

Most of the dash cams today are pretty good and will do what you want. I would search online or amazon and see what is available. We have been using one for the past 10 years. Don’t get the least expensive but you don’t need the most expensive either. The one’s that suction cup to the windshield will fall off if you leave your car out in the hot sun for a long time.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdburns11 View Post
Those are pretty easy to establish who is at fault….

Respectfully, DB
Not if you are driving in reverse.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamo View Post
I’m sure you are aware that (florida) is a 50-50 state, so it really does not matter who’s fault because your insurance company pays anyway and it will affect your rate. Even when you get rear ended remember, this is not a no-fault state.
But Morgan and Morgan will care who is at fault.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:01 AM
Default Garmin Mini 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
… I’m considering a dash cam; any recommendations? TIA.
I’ve been using Garmin Mini 2 for a few months now and it works well. It responds to voice commands so you can save videos of interesting events. Only complaint is that I cannot always read the license plate - prob need 4K for that. Many reviews of this cam on yt.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:04 AM
Default Dual-Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
The minute you get one, you will be rear-ended. That's just the way life works.
Get a dual-cam system - one camera on windshield and one on rear window.

(Or just buy a Tesla.)
Old 11-23-2023, 11:10 AM
Default Capacitor for the heat

Quote:
Have had 2 close calls lately where the other drivers would have been at fault so I’m considering a dash cam; any recommendations? TIA.
I have a Thinkware X800 on my car that has front and rear capability with GPS, split screen front/rear when reviewing footage. Gives speed and location etc. It comes with the 32GB card, I installed the 128GB card which recorded for about 7 days before it recorded over the previous video. The card (Thinkware brand is the only one that seems to work properly) lasted about 4 years and then just stopped working, back to using the original 32GB card.
I lost another brand dash camera which was a battery type to excessive heat through the windshield. I would look for a camera with a capacitor as they can stand the heat better than a battery.
Regarding a golf cart camera, i had one mounted while here for a couple of months, used a cigarette lighter plugin and alligator clip for the camera. It lasted for about 5 weeks but shorted out. I think the extreme vibrations and bumps on a golf cart were the cause. Before it died it did catch an incident. Returned to my cart and noticed the rear seat not closed properly and the blanket which was under there had been moved. Checked the camera later (which was facing to the front). the footage showed the the cart move and vibrate, then a worker walk into view and got into the cart in front of me (cart had gardening equipment on it).
If you are going to mount one on a cart I would get a capacitor type and try and mount it in a way that reduces vibration.
Old 11-23-2023, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Have had 2 close calls lately where the other drivers would have been at fault so I’m considering a dash cam; any recommendations? TIA.
That brings up a related point - I seem to find that recently with the return of the snow birds, that drivers are more aggressive and inclined to speed. I have been tailgated closely twice during the last week. There are more people walking and biking on the side of the road. I wonder if they are having "close calls"?
Old 11-23-2023, 07:18 PM

Don't 90% of drivers consider themselves to be safer drivers than average?

It might be better to find a defensive driving course than to buy a camera that might very will be inoperative due to heat in the off chance that it might actually have recorded evidence in your favor, that would not otherwise have been determined by the accident investigation anyway.

Or distract you because it came loose and flew across your car while you were driving...
Old 11-23-2023, 09:23 PM

Don’t involve your insurance company if the person that rear ends you has insurance. Get a police report & handle it yourself
Closed Thread

Tags
dash, recommendations, cam;, i’m, fault

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.