Best dinner ever!

Old 02-14-2024, 08:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,075 Times in 538 Posts

When I was a kid my mom would make whatever we wanted for our birthday. I always wanted leg of lamb, mint jelly, mashed potatoes, spinach and birthday cake.

Now, since I haven't eaten mammals for about 25 years..... seafood and pasta, preferably linguini. Shrimp, scallops and lobster being my very favorite.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:34 AM

Research the oil that popeyes uses. Mechanics use it too.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Roast beef, mashed potatoes, string beans, carrots, onions, gravy, biscuits and butter. That's my absolute favorite. Closely followed by corned beef and cabbage dinner.
For "comfort" food, I'll be happy with American chop suey.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw8700@outlook.com View Post
I just had the tastiest dinner I’ve ever had - fried chicken breast (Popeyes), green beans, homemade mashed potatoes, and rich, homemade, chicken gravy. I wonder, what would you consider the most perfect meal?
Southern cornbread (not the sweet stuff), greens and fried okra.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,107 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
Research the oil that popeyes uses. Mechanics use it too.
Not so much these days, as most cars take synthetic.

They do use the same stuff in older cars.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:17 AM
Default BEst Meal Ever!

Quote:
I just had the tastiest dinner I’ve ever had - fried chicken breast (Popeyes), green beans, homemade mashed potatoes, and rich, homemade, chicken gravy. I wonder, what would you consider the most perfect meal?
Please forgive me but if this is the best meal you have "ever" had I feel very badly for you. Maybe, and I say maybe it was the best fast-food meal you have ever had but please tell us you grew up in a home where your family cooked home cooked meals. I spent 30 years in the Air Force, and I have to say there were meals I ate in the Chow Hall that would surpass the quality of a Popeye's meal. I have eaten all over the world and could list dozens, maybe hundreds of better tasting meals.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Your meal listed was also my favorite until I had 2 heart attacks and 5 by pass surgery last Fall. My new favorite is baked sweet potato and a mixed green side salad.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Your meal listed was also my favorite until I had 2 heart attacks and 5 by pass surgery last Fall. My new favorite is baked sweet potato and a mixed green side salad.
Hang in there, Skip. I'm cheering for ya!
Old 02-14-2024, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackharley View Post
two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles...etc, etc
roflmao!
Old 02-14-2024, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,701 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Was once trapped by a blizzard for three days and two nights.
Nothing death defying, had water, made shelter, fire for warmth, no food though.
When we finally got out, had a bowl of hot stew, a cup of tea, and a cigarette.
Best 5-star meal I ever had.
I hear ya.

Back in 1968 I landed a job on a survey crew contour mapping what would eventually become Voyageur's National Park, up on the border of Minnesota and Ontario. Great summer job for a young buck: ten on, four off and the four off if not spent at home were spent in places like International Falls raising hell. Maybe 12 of us, living in tents and running lines from benchmark to benchmark that were always near lakes. One night my buddy and I, together with our surveyor, misjudged the time and ended up not being able to get back to camp by dark. No problem; we just bedded down on whatever looked soft and sort of slept. No food, and water gone. Just before dawn we got up; my buddy remembered a small stream about 100 yards down hill from where we were, and volunteered to get water. He used his hard hat for the purpose. When he got back we all had a big drink. When it became light enough to see though we saw what was left in his hard hat wasn't just water: dozens of mosquito larvae were busily swimming around.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 385 Posts

Tray of oysters at Oshucks with some cheap beer
Old 02-14-2024, 04:09 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
I too enjoy Popeye occassionaly plus Veterans 20% discount on entire order.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up This is Serious!

A three pound (3 lb.) steamed Maine lobster with drawn, clarified butter.

Yes, you can go to the movies and when you get back, I might be finished!

Old 02-14-2024, 05:38 PM

Thanks for starting a “tasty” thread. Fun reading others dream meal. Love to eat and love to cook. Traveled for business and always came home trying to replicate the best dishes. My fav recent dish was Kung Pao brussel sprouts at Bonefish Grill. But if it was my last meal it would be anything with noodles!
Old 02-14-2024, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF RETIRED View Post
Please forgive me but if this is the best meal you have "ever" had I feel very badly for you. Maybe, and I say maybe it was the best fast-food meal you have ever had but please tell us you grew up in a home where your family cooked home cooked meals. I spent 30 years in the Air Force, and I have to say there were meals I ate in the Chow Hall that would surpass the quality of a Popeye's meal. I have eaten all over the world and could list dozens, maybe hundreds of better tasting meals.
You didn’t pay attention what I said. We bought four breasts from Popeye’s because I wouldn’t have to waste all that oil to deep fry them. And I made the mashed potatoes (cook three potatoes till soft and drain them and put in a mixer with a block of cream cheese, about a tablespoon of salt, ditto with butter) and I made the green beans. Plus I made the gravy. I’m getting hungry again!

Tags
chicken, homemade, dinner, gravy, perfect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.