Induction Cooking . . .

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Induction Cooking . . .

We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen. As part of the renovation, we are replacing appliances and are looking at Induction Cooktops or Ranges.

Anyone have experience with these? Would appreciate input....

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Platinum member

No, but I would absolutely LOVE having one.

Some online reviews I have read say: some complain of a clicking sound the entire time elements are on- others say it happens for the first few seconds, that's it.
I could live with that.
Some reviews say the lifespan of an induction range is short, maybe 2 years. Like everything else, there are brands better than others in many regards.

I am hoping the prices on freestanding units come down a bit eventually.
My days of fabulous high end ranges/cooktops are gone.

YAY for your new induction cooktop and new kitchen !!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Sage

check this out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z7HQK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957& creativeASIN=B0037Z7HQK&linkCode=as2&tag=induction s-20"]click here[/ame]

[it looks like Amazon has it's own little icon that it adds when you copy and paste]

My brother has a free standing unit and I have used it a while ago. I remember it being a very positive experience. You do need special cookware that you may or may not already own. I believe it has to be iron.
If you have the time to plan I would buy the one above and use it for a while and then make a decision. You can always sell it for half of what you pay for it.

Last edited by tomwed; 12-17-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

we have had induction cooktops for many years and would not go back to convential smooth glass cooktops or gas.

The controls are much more variable, almost like a gas stove. Our GE induction top has 21 settings on each knob. They are numbered 1-10 with a 1/2 in between offering very fine temp settings. The cooking result to the pan changes instatantly.

When on full high water will boil within a couple of minutes.

Each burner has a low or keep warm setting which is very handy for those dishes ready ahead of the rest or to keep food warm for serving.

One has to have pans that are compatible with induction meaning they must respond to magnetism. ONLY the pans that attract a magnet will work. If one has none, it is worth the investment to change out your pots and pans.
Most cookware has on the bottom icons identifying the cooking methods the pans work with.

The cooktop itself does not emmit the heat; it is the pan that heats from the magnetic vibrations. The only heat in the cooktop is that reflected from the pan.

The induction cooktops tend to be a little pricier but if one is looking at high end cook tops it isn't that far off.

As usual it boild down to a matter of choice. Our experience as well as friends and family that have converted....there is no going back.

Good luck in your pursuit.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
we have had induction cooktops for many years and would not go back to convential smooth glass cooktops or gas.

The controls are much more variable, almost like a gas stove. Our GE induction top has 21 settings on each knob. They are numbered 1-10 with a 1/2 in between offering very fine temp settings. The cooking result to the pan changes instatantly.

Each burner has a low or keep warm setting which is very handy for those dishes ready ahead of the rest or to keep food warm for serving.

One has to have pans that are compatible with induction meaning they must respond to magnetism. ONLY the pans that attract a magnet will work. If one has none, it is worth the investment to change out your pots and pans.
Most cookware has on the bottom icons identifying the cooking methods the pans work with.

The cooktop itself does not emmit the heat; it is the pan that heats from the magnetic vibrations. The only heat in the cooktop is that reflected from the pan.

The induction cooktops tend to be a little pricier but if one is looking at high end cook tops it isn't that far off.

As usual it boild down to a matter of choice. Our experience as well as friends and family that have converted....there is no going back.

Thanks BTK....thanks exactly the type of info I was looking for. Having worked in manufacturing, I understand the science behind the cooking method, as well as the constraint on cookware.

Thanks again....
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:

Interesting. Thank you for the education.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Platinum member

btk, (please..)
What is the brand of your unit?

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 12-18-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
btk, (please..)
What brand your unit?
We have the GE Profile 36 X 20.5 inches......t various sized burners.
Model # PHP960DM2BB
Old 12-17-2014, 01:51 PM

I worked at Home Depot in the Appliance Dept for 10 years. Every time someone wanted to buy induction cooktops I sent them home to check if a magnet was attracted to the bottom of their cookware. In almost every case even the most expensive pots and pans did not have enough ferrous iron content to work. If a manufacturer would produce a hybrid range or cooktop that would help since a person's favorite pot or pan could still be used. Induction is more efficient than gas or electric since only the cookware is heated.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
We have the GE Profile 36 X 20.5 inches......t various sized burners.
Model # PHP960DM2BB
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We had thought about an induction cook top but bought a countertop unit to try it out. I would hope an actuall stove would do better but the counter top unit was not good. My husband is a bit of a chef and doesn't use a spatula to turn eggs. He just lifts the skillet and flips". He uses the same process for many other items. The counter top unit would shut off if you lift the pan and break contact. Do the more expensive units do this?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
We had thought about an induction cook top but bought a countertop unit to try it out. I would hope an actuall stove would do better but the counter top unit was not good. My husband is a bit of a chef and doesn't use a spatula to turn eggs. He just lifts the skillet and flips". He uses the same process for many other items. The counter top unit would shut off if you lift the pan and break contact. Do the more expensive units do this?
Yes, once you remove the pot or pan, the heat is immediately off.
However, when you replace the cookware, the heat is immediately back.
I do not see that as a problem.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen. As part of the renovation, we are replacing appliances and are looking at Induction Cooktops or Ranges.

Anyone have experience with these? Would appreciate input....

Thanks!
Induction cooktops and ranges are very pricey, but offer many benefits that gas and regular electric do not have. For whatever the reason, they seem to have maintenance problems. Regardless of which brand you buy, I would definitely purchase a service contract also.

I am not familiar with the brand name, but IKEA has an induction cooktop for $1,000 which is the least expensive price I have seen.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 AM

We purchased a stand alone induction range 4 years ago due to the lack of gas service in our area. A buried propane tank was considered, but the idea of a gas line running through the attic in a lightning prone area was not attractive. The induction range has had no problems, and my wife may prefer it to gas. Very fast cooking, instant turn off, no noise from our unit. The only shortcoming versus gas is the inability to do wok cooking. With the exception of the teakettle, all of our cookware was magnetic and able to be used on the new stove. It has been a home run for us.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Gold member

We first owned the little table top single version and loved it. About a year ago we bought the top of the line Samsung induction range. We did give a lot of our old cookware to Hospice and bought new, but it was worth it. I really don't know of any disadvantages to this range. It will do so many things that any conventional range just cannot do. It even has a boil over setting so it never boils over.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.