Best Television (Cable) etc and Internet service?

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2020, 05:19 PM
Default Best Television (Cable) etc and Internet service?

I know it is probably in here somewhere I have tried to search for a thread but have not found one on the best cable company for Television and or Internet service. Considering Spectrum or Xfinity or is there a better way to go?? Moving to TV soon and need to get it ordered.

Last edited by Trbrown57; 10-22-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Needed to add to post
Old 10-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Spectrum for sure.
We had internet & TV.
Used their away option (vacation mode).
No issues for four years.

But we dropped the TV and are using YouTube TV with Spectrum internet.
(YouTube TV travels with us better than Spectrum TV)

Construction cut the Spectrum cable a couple times........they were out within 24 hours.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:34 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Some have gone to streaming because the cable companies keep raising their rates. That said, in the 14 years here in TV we had Comcast/Xfinity, century link, and currently Brighthouse/Spectrum. Streaming works for a lot of people. We haven’t gone there yet but thinking about it. If you go to streaming you currently will still need internet cable so you really can’t get rid of cable.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:35 PM
Sage

Where are you moving to? Not all vendors are available everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbrown57 View Post
I know it is probably in here somewhere I have tried to search for a thread but have not found one on the best cable company for Television and or Internet service. Considering Spectrum or Xfinity or is there a better way to go?? Moving to TV soon and need to get it ordered.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:20 PM
Veteran member

Just get the best deal on internet only you can find. As a new customer, you will probably get a real low price for about a year. Buy your own modem/wifi box that works with their system. It will pay for itself vs renting their box. Then stream your TV channels with a subscription to YouTube TV, Hulu Live, Sling, Philo or one of the others. YouTube TV is great - No equipment charges, no service calls, and a great unlimited DVR in the cloud. Any you can watch it anywhere, and cancel at any time (no contracts).
Old 10-22-2020, 06:56 PM
Platinum member

Yes, it depends on where you are buying. North of 466 I believe your only choices are Centrylink or Comcast(xfinity). Comcast has came out with a streaming service similar to having a Roku device.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Just get the best deal on internet only you can find. As a new customer, you will probably get a real low price for about a year. Buy your own modem/wifi box that works with their system. It will pay for itself vs renting their box. Then stream your TV channels with a subscription to YouTube TV, Hulu Live, Sling, Philo or one of the others. YouTube TV is great - No equipment charges, no service calls, and a great unlimited DVR in the cloud. Any you can watch it anywhere, and cancel at any time (no contracts).
And if the channels they want aren't available? How many streaming services do they need to get what they watch? We would need 4 and still can't get one of the channels I watch. Then there is the DVR service for each. We have Apple tv and Disney + to complement the usual stuff.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-23-2020, 04:49 AM

Cable is old news and on its way out. Streaming is the way to go. If you don’t care about sports or cable news networks there’s tons and I mean tons of content out there absolutely FREE!

Otherwise be prepared for the most frustrating experience of your life dealing with the fraudulent cable companies.

Last edited by matandch; 10-23-2020 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:10 AM
Veteran member

Depends what channels you want. Love Xfinity (Only one that broadcasts The Villages TV and Radio on #2 and 99). Most homes prewired for Xfinity. Others have to bury a line in your lawn. I prefer watching FOX and CNBC so streaming isn't for me although I enjoy YouTube on my large smart TV.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:56 AM

Xfinity has a senior price of $55 for strictly cable. Others might as well I’m only familiar with the Xfinity deal. Disney+ has a pkg deal, with Hulu snd ESPN for $69 per year, along with Netflix $9.99 a month and I use Amazon Prime for free shipping and their video and music streaming is included. And my LG TV came with free channels as well as the Apple TV app. No need to have cable IMHO. Cable can easily be over $200 a month. And personally, I don’t like extra equipment, I have my TV mounted and a sound bar. Nice and clean. Verizon also has a senior deal, $50 a month that ends you $66 with taxes. Go to a Verizon store not an “authorized dealer” if you’re interested.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:19 AM

We have xFinity but are switching to Spectrum. xFinity went to over $200/month for internet and TV. Spectrum is $125 for about the same service. xFinity support is horrible now. You can't talk to anyone unless you go to the office in Leesburg. YoutubeTV is another good option, but the deal from Spectrum is better.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:23 AM
Default Best Television (Cable) etc and Internet service?

Quote:
We have used CenturyLink for internet for 5yrs no issues;DirectTV for TV;because we use the boxes in our motorhome; need to check you address to see which service you can get;example, we can't get Spectrum where we live St Charles area-Good luck
Old 10-23-2020, 06:40 AM
Default TV companies is a 2 yr game

Quote:
None of the companies are worth anything. They all play a 2-year game under contract except for spectrum. They are buying new business period after the first 12 months your rate goes up because you lose discounts. The second 12 months at the end goes up as well because again you lose discounts.
For existing customers they do squat. We didn't come down here to retire to have to play these pathetic games. Companies need to learn to take care of existing business and keep the cost of acquisition down as buying new customers the acquisition cost is extraordinary
I was even talking to senior VPS at DirecTV telling them how their practice was terrible, he was going to help my rate by cutting programs. Obviously he didn't get the point.
So to answer your question who's the best, none. Spectrum rates are the same as your 25th month rate with any of the other carriers.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:41 AM

The best internet for speed and consistency is Xfinity unless you have access to a fiberoptic system which is faster. How you do your TV is up to you. I only have 2 connected to cable and the rest are streaming Xfinity on a ROKU. It works great but you have to have the internet speed to support any streaming device.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:50 AM

Pine Hills
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, internet, service, television, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.