Best weather app?

Old 05-20-2024, 06:56 AM

I’ve used AccuWeather app for a long time now. I find its radar accurate and real time. Regarding lightning…if you hear thunder it has already produced lightning.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggC69 View Post
As a newcomer, trying to find best weather app to track pop up storms. Any suggestions?
If you are an iPhone user, Apple’s native weather app is now good overall—-but I do not like their radar feature. Advertisements in other weather apps are annoying.

If you want radar without as much time delays as ordinary radar apps, you might look at RadarScope that has a cost. (I bought the one-time cost app version rather than the monthly cost with more features.) The RadarScope app also loads onto my AppleWatch if you go out without your iPhone (e.g., running) but you need an AW with cellular to make it practical.

If current and future winds are important to you (e.g., boating, bicycling), the WindFinder app is good.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:25 AM

Like the WFTV app
Old 05-20-2024, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Fox 35 app, they are the only outlet that has their own radar, everybody else gets their info from a 3rd party.

Also, I have my own weather station that feeds weather underground and weathercloud.com every 6 seconds and this data is fed into my sprinkler system to determine when to turn on the system and how long to run each station. This works perfect.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggC69 View Post
As a newcomer, trying to find best weather app to track pop up storms. Any suggestions?
I've down loaded several weather apps, and even pay for the "premium" subscription on Weather Radar Pro. I've found that it was a waste of money. You can get the temps, wind speeds, humidity etc as you might expect but as far as pop up storms, fuggedaboutit. The weather moves fast on a peninsula, the wind directions change quickly and while it might be a downpour in Fenny its clear and dry in LSL.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
The best weather app is a cat. It could be bright and sunny but once mine runs under the bed i know a storm is coming.
Farmers used to say you can tell theres an approaching thunderstorm by watching the leaves on trees. If the leaves are turned over, theres updraft so a storm is coming. Noticing the bottom of leaves on trees has saved me from problems several times.
❤️the farmers!
Old 05-20-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Fox 35 app, they are the only outlet that has their own radar, everybody else gets their info from a 3rd party.

Also, I have my own weather station that feeds weather underground and weathercloud.com every 6 seconds and this data is fed into my sprinkler system to determine when to turn on the system and how long to run each station. This works perfect.
I like WGN’s iPhone App. It gives you a localized radar map with precip, clouds, lightning & windspeed overlays as options. Theres daily forecasts for about 10 days, 4 days of hourly (very accurate) forecasts & a future-cast radar option thats been accurate no matter where I’ve used it in the US. You can set various locations so it will adjust everything based on which of your locations you’ve selected. It’s very handy & it’s free—although it does have a push-fed (very bright white) ad which displays in tge center of the screen each time you re-initiate the App for a few seconds, before you get access to everything. I just put my hand over their bright white ad or turn my phone upside down for a few seconds until it disappears. Ive used the WGN App all over the US, not just in Chicagoland. As long as you have a cellular connection, it’s good but it wont help you if you’re too remote to get a signal, like most Apps. Wish we would get StarLink Satellite Internet nationwide. Hello, Elon?
Old 05-20-2024, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Horizon View Post
Farmers used to say you can tell theres an approaching thunderstorm by watching the leaves on trees. If the leaves are turned over, theres updraft so a storm is coming. Noticing the bottom of leaves on trees has saved me from problems several times.
❤️the farmers!
My mother told me that 45 years ago. It works! Also, if the cows are sitting down, it's going to rain. The theory is that they want to have dry ground to sit on. That one is less paccurate--some standing, some sitting = partly cloudy?
Old 05-20-2024, 01:48 PM
Default weather app

For me, the WFTV weather app is the best.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:56 PM

There is a free professional weather app, named WINDY that is very useful, especially for monitoring approaching Hurricanes and severe storms. A meteorologist friend told me about it during one of the recent hurricanes.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,257 Times in 2,829 Posts

Another vote for my radar. Using the app, along with the compass in my golf cart, I’ve been able to pick which sports pool to go to to avoid storms or make the call to quit playing or wait out a storm while golfing. Pay the few bucks for the premium version of the app with no advertising, it’s well worth it in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha View Post
There is a free professional weather app, named WINDY that is very useful, especially for monitoring approaching Hurricanes and severe storms. A meteorologist friend told me about it during one of the recent hurricanes.
Stormy Dittos. WINDY.COM is terrific - plus it is continually being improved. I especially like its ability to select any location on earth and at any atmospheric level - which gives me much more information than The Weather Channel.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post

WESH has had their own radar for years, longer than fox35
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Default Windy app has lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha View Post
The Windy app has real time lightning on screen. Many pro features as stated before.

Log onto Weather Underground and search for a nearby Tempest weatherstation (your neighbor may have one). It recognizes lightning and estimates distance. Use it to control your Rachio irrigation system too...

Do not forget to subscribe to your County emergency alert system. Get real-time alerts on your phone.

Accuweather Premium has real time radar and recently added lightning alerts.

I also use Astrospheric, a hyperlocal forecast for astronomical observation, that is useful for all kinds of weather and space related information.

Tags
weather, app, newcomer, find, track

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.