Better to rent w/TV or private

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Question Better to rent w/TV or private

We are thinking about renting for a month or 2 and was wonderin if is better to rent from The Villages or from a private owner? Anyone had experience with this?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Sage

Like most things, plusses and minuses either way.

We rented from a private owner because we wanted a specific model to 'test out' and preferred a central location. Of course, this was in July 06, so, we could have picked just about anywhere. If you're looking to rent in Feb-Mar, rentals will be hard to come by. Private rentals tend to be less expensive due to lower management fees.

If you rent through TV, you only get to specify the series of house (patio villa, designer, ranch, etc) and won't know til you check in specifically what model of house and where it is. With TV, you can expect a certain standard of furniture and equipment and support. With a private rental, there is more risk in getting your deposit back, having a well equipped place, getting things fixed, etc.

It worked well for us doing a private rental.... the place was brand new, well furnished, the owners were very honest, etc. We found it through one of the online websites.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
SNOK

Other than using The Villages Lifestyle Preview program, you have much more selection and felxibility by going through a private party (property managment company or direct to owner) than through The Villages. My understanding is The Villages will not give you a choice of properties, other than the style (villa, designer, etc.) and you will not know what property you are assigned until your arrival. They apparently try to spread the rentals among the various owners that are listed with them (sort of like spread the wealth). It doesn't work well for owners or renters, as well as for other things. The Villages Property Management also has limitations on the time frame when they take rental reservations (they don't take reservations very far in advance). Properties listed with The Villages Property Management are restricted as to the amenities they can offer. For example, they will not, unless their policy has recently changed, allow owners to keep a golf cart, barbecue grill or a bicycle on premises for use by a tenant. They even discourage owners from even providing internet service, although I'm not sure why. With properties offered directly by the owner or through private property managers, many of these amenities are often included with the home. Also, you get to thoroughly view the specific home and location you are interested in before deciding. I am familiar with this because we used to have our home listed for rent through The Villages Property Management, but we recently moved to a private property management firm for the reasons listed.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Platinum member

And, while I certainly don't want to create unfounded rumors, I was under the impression that TV rentals are (maybe, were) restricted to only one month during High Season.

Again, I'm not sure that necessarily is true, but if it is, you'll undoubtedly have more luck privately if you want a longer rental period!

SWR

Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Platinum member

We are on the other side of things. We've owned a nice home for five years and we rent ti out when we are not there. I agree with all of the "minus" comments above about renting through the Villages. The only advantage for first time renters is the belief that they can trust the Villages to meet their obligations while they might not have be as confident about a private management firm. But there are several high quality firms that go well beyond the Villages in terms of personal service and amenities. I believe I rent my place with best of these, JD Manangement. Check them out at:

thevillagesforrentbyowner.com
Old 07-22-2009, 02:58 AM

Jan/Feb 2010 will be our eighth time renting at TV. The first year was the only time that we rented through TV. We have found you get more bang for your buck renting private. There are some very reputable people managing properties for home owners. Usually, you can get the cart and other amenities (wireless internet, grills, cable with movie packages, bicycles, etc) as part of the package when you rent private. Good luck and have fun whichever way you go.
Irish
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayBavillager View Post
We are thinking about renting for a month or 2 and was wonderin if is better to rent from The Villages or from a private owner? Anyone had experience with this?
A lot of negative comments here about TV"s rental unit. I would make a phone call to them to find out if it all true.
My brother and wife are renting for the fourth time this winter and they have used a different source each time and never TV. They are always satisfied. They use the Internet to find what they want.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Sage
Default Which private mgm company?

Has anyone had experience with JD Property Management. We're deciding between them and 4 rent by owner. Suggestions and good and bad experience most welcomed. THank you.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

We use thevillages4rent.com. It isn't a property management company. Works well for us.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 10-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

I also use thevillages4rent.com and highly recommend them.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Has anyone had experience with JD Property Management. We're deciding between them and 4 rent by owner. Suggestions and good and bad experience most welcomed. THank you.
Yes, look at post #5 in this thread from ijusluvit.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Platinum member

Yes I did compliment JD Management a while back. My perspective may be different from the folks who are looking for a place to rent, but I picked JD Management to take care of my home because of their impressive friendliness and attention to detail. I realized this was just what I would look for as a renter. I've been very pleased with my decision ever since.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

As of yesterday TV property management was 100% booked for 2/2010 and 3/2010 and 1/2010 was filling fast.

I own a CYV and rent it using TV property management, the information came from them directly.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Gee, they told me that 6 weeks ago on the phone.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Default private rental

I don't know what you are wanting or when, but we have friends with a patio villa, in De La Vista West, who will begin renting it this winter. If you are interested in their phone # to ask about it, send me a private message.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.